Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here I go! Here I come? Where can I go now?
Thanks for the update! I agree with Speedhighway46 (his name may be a misnomer ;-D ) - no reason to go far and fast unless it gets uncomfortably hot. Take lots of breaks and don't stress yourself out from too much driving.

Keep posting as you travel across the country. You may be passing right by some of us.
Add Thank You Reply
I need help!  Today is my second day on the road and it is so very hot that I was trying to get out there as soon as possible.  So I did not see the plan of going slow until now.  I drove 7 hours today in this very hot weather and stressed my cat, me and even my van.  So I am in a motel tonight because my van's thermometer got so hot I got scared.  I had no idea I would be going up these grades in Georgia.  Surprise to me.  Now I wonder about continuing at all.  I guess I just pushed too hard.  The temp is back down now, after I stopped.  What about mountains further west?  I never saw my van slow down on mountains before, but I never pushed it hard for 7 hours in 100 degree weather, either.

But where to stop along the way....I can't even find campgrounds so quickly on the way, to take it easy, and it is just too hot to hang out at truck stops.  And I can't really pay this much for motels till then.  What to do?

I am in Douglasville, Ga.  I left from Daytona last night.  I am on I-20 going towards I-40.  Any suggestions so welcome.  Thank you.
Add Thank You Reply

(07-04-2016, 08:48 PM)pamerica Wrote: I need help!  Today is my second day on the road and it is so very hot that I was trying to get out there as soon as possible.  So I did not see the plan of going slow until now.  I drove 7 hours today in this very hot weather and stressed my cat, me and even my van.  So I am in a motel tonight because my van's thermometer got so hot I got scared.  I had no idea I would be going up these grades in Georgia.  Surprise to me.  Now I wonder about continuing at all.  I guess I just pushed too hard.  The temp is back down now, after I stopped.  What about mountains further west?  I never saw my van slow down on mountains before, but I never pushed it hard for 7 hours in 100 degree weather, either.

But where to stop along the way....I can't even find campgrounds so quickly on the way, to take it easy, and it is just too hot to hang out at truck stops.  And I can't really pay this much for motels till then.  What to do?

I am in Douglasville, Ga.  I left from Daytona last night.  I am on I-20 going towards I-40.  Any suggestions so welcome.  Thank you.

Off I20 west of your location.
  • Big Oak Hunter Camp
This is a FREE campsite.
AddressFruithurst, Alabama
GPS: 33.72139, -85.560097
Elevation: 1445'
Get Directions

Fruithurst, AL

Head west on US-78 W/2nd Ave toward 3rd St W

Continue to follow US-78 W
6.3 mi

Turn right onto Co Rd 66/66 Spur

Continue to follow Co Rd 66
2.0 mi

Slight right onto Co Rd 548
276 ft

Turn right to stay on Co Rd 548
3.4 mi

Turn right
Destination will be on the right
Add Thank You Reply

Pine Glen Campground - Talladega National Forest (The Red marker in the  screen shot)

https://freecampsites.net/#!9976&query=sitedetails

This is a PAY campground. ($12 or less)
The price is $3 per night

Address
Latitude: 33.72521 Longitude: -85.60182
Heflin, Alabama
GPS: 33.724732, -85.60358
Elevation: 1016'
Get Directions

Douglasville, GA
Get on I-20 W
10 min (5.9 mi)
Follow I-20 W to AL-46 W in Cleburne County. Take exit 205 from I-20 W
34 min (39.4 mi)
Continue on AL-46 W. Take Oxford St, Co Rd 533 and Skyway Mtwy to Pine Glen Campground
28 min (12.0 mi)
Pine Glen Campground
Heflin, AL 36264

Management
Public - Forest Service (Official)
Website
The road in is Gravel and 8 miles from a paved road. Pine Glen Campground - Talladega National Forest is open All Year. There are 16-29 campsites at this location.
Amenities:

BBQ Grill
    Fire Ring
    Near Water
    Picnic Tables
    Restrooms
    Trash Cans

Activities:

Fishing
    Wildlife Viewing
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to wayne49 for this post:
pamerica (07-04-2016)
Thank you, wayne49. I'm happy to have some places to look at. I will need to be able to have electric for the AC. I appreciate the time you took to do this.
Add Thank You Reply
Try driving in the early morning, find a cool place like a city park to hang out in the hottest part of the day and drive a little more when it cools down a bit. Just make sure that you will arrive at your night destination before the sun goes down. It's hard to find campgrounds or even Walmarts at night.

I plugged some information in freecampsites trip planner. This route goes from Douglasville to Flagstaff with places to stay no more than 10 miles from the route. Try to stick with the campsites or dispersed camping as much as possible. Parking lots hold the heat and it will radiate up into your vehicle even at night.  https://freecampsites.net/#!Douglasville,+GA,+United+States~Flagstaff,+AZ,+United+States&query=routeSearch&routeDistance=10&routeIndex=0&optimize=true

If you find a nice place you might want to take a day to rest. Good luck!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to tonyandkaren for this post:
pamerica (07-05-2016)
I'm afraid there just is no relief from the heat until you get to NM, but once you get to NM it has lots of high country you can gain enough elevation and shade in the forests to be very comfortable. Your are probably looking to find the tribe, but have you considered the NM Parks Pass. I think it's $220 but it lets you stay in NM State Parks for free for one year. That price does not include hook ups but for $4 a day you can get electric. Maybe pay that once or twice a week and charge your batteries. Most or all of the Parks have showers and I believe they are included. Can someone confirm that?

I've resolved my fine and I am at Leadville CO at 10,200 feet. There are zero worries of heat here! I m with a group of others and you can feel free to join us. If you are interested I will send you a map. There are probably still our people at Flagstaff, but the Rangers wre getting pretty strict and pushed some out.
Bob
2015 GMC Savannah 2500 van, 480 watts of Solar Panels--and a wonderful furry best friend named Cody. I'm out to change the world!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to akrvbob for this post:
pamerica (07-05-2016)
I hate to add any stress here, but If the Van was running that hot, I would suspect its engine cooling system is not up to snuff. Long term running it hotter than it should be run is not good for it and can lead to larger more expensive issues, possibly much more expensive than attending to a partially clogged radiator or a thermostat not opening all the way, or a failing water pump.

To mitigate its heat, turn off the AC, turn on the heater, and slow down, take it out of overdrive climbing hills.

If the heater does not work, you are likely low on coolant.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to SternWake for this post:
pamerica (07-05-2016)
tonyandkaren, Bob and SternWake....thanks all.  I should have planned this more from the beginning, but here's to another adventure!  Yes, I would like to meet the tribe and I will hopefully soon.  

The NM state parks sounds a great idea to start.  I wonder about Verizon service?  I need that to work.  Does anyone know about that?

I just need to get out of this heat as soon as I can.  Wherever and whatever that is.  

I will look at all your suggestions and go from here.  Thank you.
Add Thank You Reply
I plan to follow tonyandkaren's route as per the campsites' route.
Add Thank You Reply