Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here I go! Here I come? Where can I go now?
Stern's post is good stuff (as always).
I'm not sure what your mechanical comfort level is.
One easy check you can do is the antifreeze level , but do it before you start out , on a cool engine.
Going slower and using lower gear going up the hills should help some too.
Traveling in the cooler parts of the day will ease some of the heat. For you and the engine.
I 20 will be less hilly for you and just take it easy when you get to the ROCKIES .

Too funny with kitty not complaining about the cool water bath !
If you don't already have one , get a harness and leash so kitty can enjoy your shade breaks too.
Most of 'em won't like it at first but will get better as they channel their "inner dog" !

Happy Trails To You ..........................
Stay Tuned
popeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC CRVL edition
12 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 4 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards! (What a "Stinkin' " honor !) + ROOIRIA

1981 Travelcraft Class C - 23'
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
pamerica (07-05-2016)
Thanks Popeye. Heading out now. The campsites route has 119 miles on I-20. To 65 north and 22 and 78 West at cetera eventually ending up on 40. I don't even care if I have to stay at motels at this point when it is so hot. I think stopping in New Mexico to cool off is a good idea. But who knows.

And thanks to Stern, I didn't even think about Overdrive. Yes it was.
Add Thank You Reply
Ahhhhhh , let us know how the engine temp does today !

Also check weather.com (the weather channel) and weather.gov for conditions(and temperatures) ahead.
If you want to change your route anytime for whatever reason (the world's biggest whatever , or maybe a day digging for diamonds ) the freecampsites site will recalculate a new route for you.....

And as you now know ,the tribe will happily give you places to look for a stay or check out as you go along.
If you see Elvis anywhere we'll want to know right away !!!!!
Stay Tuned
popeye

12 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 4 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards! (What a "Stinkin' " honor !) + ROOIRIA

Add Thank You Reply
Sounds like you've already received some great advice so with that, I wish you luck on your travels today, you, your van, and your cat will be in cooler temps before you know it.
I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Every Road Leads Home for this post:
pamerica (09-22-2017)
I second the suggestion to get kitty accustomed to harness and leash, or even a pet stroller.  Then you'd be able to take her into PetSmart and other stores that welcome pets, and suck up their air conditioning for an hour or so in the hottest part of the day Wink
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to mayble for this post:
pamerica (09-22-2017)
A quick update to all you kind folks. I just crossed into Mississippi on I 22. All is well thanks to y'all.

No problem with heat in the engine going 55 mph, not in overdrive and not using air conditioning.. That's not so bad because I have those Wing windows and it is quite comfortable actually.  

Don't know how much further I will go today but everything is fine.. thanks for being here for me. And I will definitely know who to bug with any other problems.  Heart

The cat is used to a harness but he is cautious about new places and people so I'm not sure about taking him out right now. Thanks for caring about him, too.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to pamerica for this post:
tonyandkaren (07-05-2016), rvpopeye (07-05-2016)
It's great when you find your rig problems aren't problems at all.
Going slower allows you to see more of the scenery too !
I like to go about 250 miles a day , it keeps down road fatigue and sometimes way less if I see something to check out.
I also stopped driving all night cuz you don't see anything but the exit signs and stopped if the wind or storms were making it hard to drive...

(One of the things that really bugged me with touring was we always had to rush to the next show without stopping to enjoy the great things that were out there .
It was kind of a feeling like I was wasting the trip and missing all the good stuff ,,,,and I was !
Lots of times I would find out about something really cool that I had passed right by and might never pass that way again. )
Stay Tuned
popeye

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
pamerica (09-22-2017)
Here are reviews of the New Mexico State Parks written by one of the forum members. He does discuss the cell signal at most of them. It seems like it might be a perfect way for you to get started in your new life. You'll have people and comforts around and it's a pretty great deal

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/adventure/r...arks-pass/
Bob
2015 GMC Savannah 2500 van, 480 watts of Solar Panels--and a wonderful furry best friend named Cody. I'm out to change the world!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to akrvbob for this post:
pamerica (09-22-2017)
Hello,  I've lived in TX and AL while driving older Pickups and Vans without AC.  Some things that have helped me stay cool are....cotton bandanas'  cut into 2 triangles then wet with cold water/wring out and fold up one to tie  across forehead and the other to tie loosely around neck.  Get a small spray bottle filled with water to spray on face, head, arms and legs if wearing shorts. 

I have a chihuahua who loves the word GO.  A couple of times I have let the heat sneak up on us when out running errands. 

Queenie wears a harness and I cool her down by washing her face with a very damp cool bandanna and then wipe her down with it, wet/wring  it out again and weave it thru the back of her harness.  She gets some funny looks because she hangs out the window like a big hound dog wearing a "wonder dog" bandanna cape.  Since it's been so hot here in AL we just go out early mornings or at night. 

Queenie is a "hot mess" the last thing I tell her when I get out of the truck is "Don't eat anyone while I'm gone"  the people at the truck stop have picnic tables out front  for breaks/smoking and they crack up because when I tell her this she turns her head sideways like she's thinking about it.  She was a Rottweiler in her last life & still has the attitude.

I hope you and cat and van all have a cooler and safe trip.  

JEWELLANN
 It's too bad that closed minds often are not equipped with closed mouths
               That's All I Have To Say About That.........Forrest Gump 
                           I'm Not Here Dodgy  You Didn't See Me     
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Txjaybird for this post:
pamerica (09-22-2017)
Thanks Popeye, Bob and Tjaybird. All rested up and starting today by crossing the Mississippi. Yippee!
Add Thank You Reply