Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here I go! Here I come? Where can I go now?
(07-05-2016, 11:48 PM)Tjaybird Wrote:  I have a chihuahua who loves the word GO.  
I have a Border Collie (well, sometimes) who is the same, you can't even spell the word without Buddy gets exited
then if you can't take him you have to see those sad, pleading eyes as you tell him good bye
Add Thank You Reply
Almost there.  
Hi.  I am spending the day at a little RV park off Route 40 about 200 miles east of Amarillo.  It is 101 degrees and feels like 108 they say.  I plan to leave around 3 or 4 a.m. to get a few hours of driving in before it gets hot again.

I suppose I will be in New Mexico by the next day.  Oh boy. I still feel a little intimidated by the whole process and unsure of how all this actually works.
I know I'll get it together soon enough but until then I wonder what..

Maybe I will follow the big truck routes so I can spend days looking around nice cool areas and going back "home" to truck stops to sleep and work online.

I also need to buckle down and finally do some work.   Luckily I have a little income, not a lot as explained previously but okay, and plan to do some writing, which I hope will eventually be profitable.

I looked at some of those New Mexico state parks.  Maybe I will get comfortable enough to do that.  The price certainly is right.

I guess my main concern is amenities and necessary items.  Like water, dump station, propane, food and even power. Internet.  And being alone in the dark, like a little kid.

I really want to do everything solar where possible at some point.

I bought an extra marine battery, cables and inverter, and when we hooked it up to the starter battery, the new battery sparked so bad that the terminal even got a little melted or something.  

I would also like to buy one of those portable solar panels to charge that battery, but where will I have Amazon deliver it?  And will I be able to figure out what to do with it?

I am still very very happy that I am doing this. I just have a lot of things I need to learn here. Okay I guess enough babbling for right now.

I have already been having a wonderful Adventure since starting out Sunday night. I've met a number of real nice people and seen some real pretty places.
I am excited to see what tomorrow brings.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to pamerica for this post:
rvpopeye (07-07-2016)
Good for you! You are one or two days from high elevation camps with temperatures in the 80s instead of 100s. Head for the mountains and take a break, you deserve it after crossing the plains.

The campgrounds between Las Vegas and Sante Fe are your closest place to cool off.

https://freecampsites.net/#!Las+Vegas,+N...ted+States

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to skyl4rk for this post:
pamerica (07-07-2016)
Skyl4rk... that is exactly what I was wondering - where are the closest places to cool off. Thank you.
Add Thank You Reply
NM's rest areas, on the interstates, have small 3-sided dwellings, with roofs for shade and a picnic table. NM allows you to spend 24 hours there. I've spent a lot of nights in NM rest areas, very comfortably.
I'd like to give myself a few negative ratings, because I am such a big meanie. The forum won't allow it. Feel free!

Cyndi (made it across the cattle guard)
http://rvlyeverafter.blogspot.com/

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
~ Adam Savage
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to cyndi for this post:
pamerica (09-22-2017)
Thanks cyndi.  That sounds nice.
Add Thank You Reply
You may get a headache or flu like symptoms at higher elevations. It can last a few days. Just take it easy.

Add Thank You Reply
Made it to New Mexico today.  Overnighting at Tucumcari.  Decisions, decisions. Do I go to a state park? Do I continue on to Flagstaff? At least I got this far.  Tomorrow is another day, as they say.  I just don't know what to do, but so far so good.  This has been a very beautiful ride.
Add Thank You Reply
State Parks to start.  Thanks, Bob, for the heads up.  I read your friend's reviews, and Googled which New Mexico State Parks have good Verizon coverage, and selected from there, too.

Thanks also to all you wonderful folks who have come along with me on the trip out here.  You made it easy for me, I learned a lot, and I wasn't alone.  

Next up are the mechanical and other threads.  Solar, cooking, everything, I guess.  This is great.

Over and out for now.  THANK YOU!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to pamerica for this post:
tonyandkaren (07-09-2016)
Bob camp to the north , Flag camp to the west........the decisions are getting fewer as the temps get lower.
Don't go too fast you might miss something amazing !

Your journey isn't over , just begun....
You probably would have put on the same mileage if you stayed home just in small circles !
Stay Tuned
popeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC CRVL edition
12 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 4 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards! (What a "Stinkin' " honor !) + ROOIRIA

1981 Travelcraft Class C - 23'
Add Thank You Reply