Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here I go! Here I come? Where can I go now?
I love the Pacos river, on our honeymoon we stopped it was very cold found a hot spring got in and it started to snow, all this hot spring next to all that cold water and snow on our heads a magic moment for 2 lovebirds on a honeymoon road trip 1990. Do not use the cruise control thats the car telling you how fast to go if you have a Tachometer use that instead of your speedo keep it under 2000 take the slow road start making coffee at 4 AM and drive 4 to 5 hours be consistent, pull off the road if need be.
Add Thank You Reply

What a great many of these older threads get buried, then when you go read them, you find no 'closure'...

At least this one had a happy ending!

Big Grin
About to be 'vanless' after FOUR years...
Add Thank You Reply
Once in AZ, keep in mind that south of Phoenix and Tucson there is high desert again. About 20f cooler than Phoenix year round.
Plus, lots to see, cheaper cost of living, more rural, plenty of BLM land, and nobody is uptight enough to care about vandwellers.

If you do make it down here let me know and I can fill you in on everything to see. Tombstone and Bisbee are nice to visit.
There is no replacement for: Research, Planning, Training, and Practical Experience
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Gideon33w for this post:
Van Lady (09-10-2017), pamerica (09-01-2017)
(07-04-2016, 05:40 AM)speedhighway46 Wrote: Two hours is great. I learned a convenient phrase when I first got on CRVL, and when "meandering" in my Motorhome it frequently comes to mind, mostly to slow me down and make me relax:

Drive two hours (some say 200 miles)

Arrive by 2:00 pm

Stay 2 days

That's 2 phunny!  Around the time of the last ice age my dad pointed out the frequency of multiple 2s you see. You may see a license plate 222abc, a phone number on a truck 222-2222, bus 22, etc. I have been amazed how often I see it still today. 

I like to repeat it for the benefit of those who may not have heard it. It's not mine; I'm not that original or deep. But it t has served me well. Hope it does the same for you.

Or, as Alfred E. Newman used to say, "What, me hurry?"
I am a 10 year survivor of stage IV head and neck cancer. 
I have stared death in the eye. . . . Death blinked. 
Add Thank You Reply
(07-09-2016, 11:40 AM)MrNoodly Wrote: Getting to Flagstaff from eastern NM means a long schlep through lower, hotter elevations. There are closer places with high elevations.

If I were in Tucumcari, I'd head to the Sangre de Christo Mountains in northern NM. For example, state highway 63 north from I-25 takes you along the Pecos River and up into some gorgeous scenery. There are several campgrounds in that area. Or there's road 475 east from Santa Fe. Or the Jemez Mountains west of Santa Fe (highway 4). 

And then I'd go north into the mountains of Colorado. Lots of great places, and the weather is excellent right now. I'm in Ridgway, but I've spent the past several weeks all over the central part of the state. I wish I had come here the previous summers.

However, the disadvantage of most mountainous areas is lack of cell signal.

Hi MrNoodly.  Thank you for your response.  So, speaking as kind of a chicken girl who likes to have contact with communication just in case, what do you do in the event of a breakdown, with no signal?  This just happened to me in Alabama last week and luckily I was able to move around and find a signal to call for help.  I do have an idea of the remote nature of a lot of gorgeous, beautiful, awe-inspiring New Mexco.  For how much I love it and am grateful to be there, it scares me to be "stuck" there with no cell signal.  How do you handle that, please?  Keep in mind I am not a studly guy who has conquered mechanical issues all my life  Shy
Add Thank You Reply