Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone here using a Satellite Phone?
pnolans: check out the recent thread "Amateur Radio" for more information regarding your interest in Amateur Radio.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Speed Gray, K8SG
Grand Rapids, MI

"If you want all the comforts of home . . . stay home." Cutiepie Gray

P7: Proper Pre-Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Peterbilt Motorhome Construction Project Website here; check it out!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to speedhighway46 for this post:
pnolans (07-21-2016)
(07-21-2016, 12:12 PM)speedhighway46 Wrote: pnolans: check out the recent thread "Amateur Radio" for more information regarding your interest in Amateur Radio.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Ah, thanks!  this is definitely the place to go.
Add Thank You Reply
I don't have the radio in my hands yet, I do have a deposit down but I am not tied to that radio. although that's what I am leaning towards. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
pnolans (07-21-2016)
Cell phones have had a bit of a detrimental affect on Ham Radio. Before Cell, Lots of repeaters had phone patches. You could key the repeater, get a dial tone, and make a call. Only 2 min or so, and nothing commercial, but perfect for SOS or "shall I pick up a pizza on the way home?"
Most of them if not all are gone. Bummer.

Anyhoo, UHF (440Mhz) and VHF (2 Meter band) are ideal and lots of repeaters out there on both, and many linked to networks. There is another thread here about all of that. I've been able to connect to repeaters with a $26 Chinese handheld (Baofeng UV-5R Dual Band). It also is capable of marine bands, so you can program channel 16 (156.800) and if you are near water, may be able to raise the coast guard or local sheriff. It is monitored for distress calls.

K7CHO
-Zonie
Still Workin...
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to ZoNiE for this post:
pnolans (08-01-2016)
Another option is a SPOT GPS Messenger device. I have a basic model that uses satellite technology to call for emergency help, road assistance, or just to let friends and family know that I'm OK. I believe the device I have costs $150, and the yearly service is $150. I have carried a SPOT device since 2010 and have never needed it for an emergency or road service, but I've used it a lot to let family and friends know where I am and that I'm OK (when not in cell phone range). Here is a link to their website -- http://findmespot.com.
Solo travel in a Prius -- SuanneOnline.blogspot.com
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Suanne for this post:
pnolans (08-01-2016)
My daugher in law makes my son carry one of those when he's in the bush in Alaska http://www.findmespot.com/mobile/
Bob
2016 Ford Transit 2500, 130" WB, Mid roof
Full time since Aug 2016
Add Thank You Reply
Taking the good advice I got from HDR, I passed my technician test Saturday, 9/10 !!!!!!!!!!!! YooHoo!

I really appreciate the suggestion! I think this is a much better solution than a SAT phone.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to pnolans for this post:
highdesertranger (09-13-2016)
good for you pnolans, congrats. I am still studying. I am passing the practice tests 90% of the time. still missing to many to feel like I have it down, but I am getting close. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
I'm pulling for you! I wish you much success!
Add Thank You Reply
(07-10-2016, 07:12 PM)pnolans Wrote: I plan on being in places where there's no cell phone coverage.. 

In addition, I've had experience with serious engine problems before, had no way to work on them, and no way to call for help.  

I'm considering getting a satellite phone in the near future, for those times I want to call for help; or check my email.  

If someone has experience and is willing to share that, I would appreciate hearing it. 

Thanks in advance,

Pat

Where can I find places with no cell phone coverage?  Location &/or cordinates to share?
Add Thank You Reply