Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobo At Heart
When I was a kid, I used to watch the freight trains go by and in those days, the hobos would stand in the open doors of the boxcars and watch the world go by. I would watch them and think how lucky they were. I have always been a Hobo at heart.

I'm retired and my wife will be in fourteen more days. The house has been sold and we are waiting for all the inspections to be done. Only one more. In about two weeks we will be off to our new base home. Our daughter there bought a huge house that had more garages than she needed or wanted. She is turning one into an apartment for us when we aren't traveling. At this point, it isn't clear if we will hit the road this winter or wait until spring so we can help finish off our new home.

We have been campers for some time and currently own a teardrop trailer. We love that little thing, but think it may become a bit cramped if we are stuck in bad weather for any length of time. It is also hard to heat. We don't know if we will try to buy a Sprinter type van or a regular low top van. We would love the Sprinter, but the cost is a bit prohibitive for us. We don't want to go in debt to buy it and we don't have that much cash.

Anyway you look at it, in about two weeks we will be away from our home for the past eighteen years and off to whatever adventure comes our way as long as we are still healthy enough to go find it.
1993 Jamboree Searcher 24'
Add Thank You Reply
Wishing you two the best...enjoy.
2016 Ford Transit 2500, 130" WB, Mid roof
Full time since Aug 2016
Add Thank You Reply
just 14 days and you will have a basecamp when you want one, that's awesome!
Add Thank You Reply
Happy Trails , hope they are all smooth ones.

(I grew up next to the tracks too !)
Stay Tuned

Weirdo Overlord  YARC CRVL edition
12 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 4 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards! (What a "Stinkin' " honor !) + ROOIRIA

1981 Travelcraft Class C - 23'
Add Thank You Reply
I'd like to give myself a few negative ratings, because I am such a big meanie. The forum won't allow it. Feel free!

Cyndi (made it across the cattle guard)

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
~ Adam Savage
Add Thank You Reply
great news. are you going to make it to RTR? highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
Sounds like a great plan! What part of the country is your new home base in?
SUV RVing Blog and YouTube Channel
Add Thank You Reply
Congratulations on your retirements! Sounds like a great setup with a home base and the freedom to travel. Have fun!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to tonyandkaren for this post:
Cammalu (09-26-2016)
(09-26-2016, 04:46 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: great news.  are you going to make it to RTR?  highdesertranger
Don't know if we will make it this year. I would love to, but we may stay the winter in Michigan to help finish out the apartment. If we don't make it this year, next year is for sure on the docket!
Add Thank You Reply
(09-26-2016, 05:23 PM)SUV_RVing Wrote: Sounds like a great plan! What part of the country is your new home base in?

Home base will be in Michigan. We have kids and grandkids here in NY so we will spend a good amount of time in the summer traveling between NY and MI. When it starts getting cold, we head south. At least that's the plan.
Add Thank You Reply