Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diesel Truck
My 1/2 can manage my camper right now, but I just found out my dads getting a new fifth wheel and giving me his.  Huge upgrade, big slide out and so much more space than my current 21 footer but it's 25 feet and 7k roughly so I have to get a new ( to me) truck to do anything with that camper.

Luckily I'll be in Arizona all winter so I could find some good deals on trucks, but I'm on limited funds and my only job is antler shed hunting so I won't be able to get a payment plan with that source of unguaranteed income.  I could pay 6k down on one but that'd leave me nervous with a smaller safety net.

Any suggestions on going about getting a diesel?
2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 pulling a 1996 21 foot StarCraft
Adventure begins in May
23 years old, from Michigan
Add Thank You Reply
A lot of people here think buying any diesel is a bad idea.  Plus, there are a bunch of bad diesel engines out there, especially in Fords.  Some of the GM and Dodge diesels seem to be ok.  This particular thread is worth a read, if you haven't seen it:

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...s-in-a-van
[/url]
[url=http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thread-Diesel-engines-in-a-van]
Regards
John

Life is not about discovering yourself.  Life is about creating yourself!

Talk is cheap because of simple economics: The supply FAR exceeds the demand!
Add Thank You Reply
It's very nice that your Dad is willing to just give you his old camper BUT does he realize that you're going to have to go into debt most likely to be able to tow it.

Sometimes it IS wise to look a gift horse in the mouth and say 'no thanks, you're going to cost me big time'!!

OTOH, will selling the camper you've got net you enough to be clear and free on the new to you tow vehicle?

I chose not to go with diesel because, while I am knowledgeable about how a gas engine works and can pretty much figure out what is wrong and what's not with them, I would be completely at the mercy of a mechanic on a diesel...it's not a position I like to be in. That's aside from the higher maintenance cost issue.

I'm no help with picking out a diesel, sorry!
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

Build link: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...g-Arabella
Full-timer again as of November 24, 2015 - 14 glorious years on the road before that!

Add Thank You Reply
older 2 valve Cummins in a Dodge, only diesel I'd consider, and they're dear, now
Add Thank You Reply
Interesting read. I know that the camper will be about 8,250-8500 loaded up and I will not upgrade to anything larger because I just don't need that being alone.

That being said, is it feasible to think about a gas 3/4 or 1 ton can pull it comfortably? I plan on shed hunting to make most of my money so it must be able to handle dirt roads and all that jazz to get there.

Also, do they put Allison transmissions in gas trucks as well? I'm pretty much set on Chevy or dodge, at least that's what my brain tells me thus far.
Adventure begins in May
Add Thank You Reply
I plan on getting a new truck as soon as possible regardless of the camper he's letting me have, I can't keep using this 1/2 in the foreseeable future. It gets the job done, barely. I plan on doing this for years to come so a bigger truck is a must regardless of camper.

From reading that thread posted I'm pretty much already swayed to gas instead of diesel. My mechanical skills are minimal but I plan to do all the preventative maintenance myself as I do now.

The parts and maintenance is also very important for things I'll have to have paid to do.
Adventure begins in May
Add Thank You Reply
I gave my daughter my truck camper and sold my truck when I first got ill. She bought (with my money) a 2001 Dodge Cummings. She has had it checked stem to stern by a friend of mine who works for Cummings and it's been a good engine. Art W is correct, if you can find a decent older Cummings they get the best mileage, are cheaper to work on and pull great.
Add Thank You Reply
the older mechanical diesels are super simple. the newer computer controlled diesels are super complicated and expensive. the only good Ford diesel is the 7.3/6.9. stay far away from the rest. I personally would only considered a mechanical diesel. my 2 cents. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
Gunny (11-02-2016)
(11-02-2016, 03:46 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: the older mechanical diesels are super simple. the newer computer controlled diesels are super complicated and expensive. the only good Ford diesel is the 7.3/6.9. stay far away from the rest. I personally would only considered a mechanical diesel. my 2 cents. highdesertranger

I second that notion! Mechanical diesels are stupid simple and easy to diagnose and repair. Almost all issues can be attributed to bad fuel, bad fuel filter or water in fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1994 International Road Rescue Ambulance, 2003 Jeep Wrangler
Add Thank You Reply
How far back in model years to get a mechanical diesel, Ford or Cummins?
Add Thank You Reply