Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diesel Truck
I had a 1991 ford E350 (the old ambo chassis) that I personally put over 180k miles on it. It was the old 7.3 IDI (indirect injection) standyne rotary injection pump model. Other than two starters and a set of glow plugs, it was extremely dependable. Always got me where I was headed and never had to have it towed. Amazingly that was bolted up to a E4OD tranny which also performed perfectly. When I finally swapped chassis the E350 has 284k on the clock and still drove like the day in bought her. If it was not for rust and my need for a huge truck I would still have it.

I believe Cummings was mechanical up until 1998. It is commonly called the "12 valve" or 6BT. Dynamite engines! More torque that you will ever need and there were so many made between commercial, marine, agricultural and Dodge trucks that parts are readily available.

I always preferred the F250/350 body in the early 90's over the Dodge, but that is a personal opinion. I am also biased to diesels because I have owned several and work on them. I would recommend one because if taken care of, it will last forever. You will not find a gasoline engine that can pull worth a duck that will go the long distance like a diesel. If you could, don't you think semi's and commercial equipment would still be gasoline powered...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1994 International Road Rescue Ambulance, 2003 Jeep Wrangler
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Baloo for this post:
wayne49 (11-03-2016)
I'm not following why you need a new truck. Is your dad giving you a 5th wheel or travel trailer? If travel trailer @ 7000lbs, surely a Silverado can tow it right?
Add Thank You Reply
He's giving me 7k dry fifth wheel. There's not a chance my 1/2 ton 5.3L can tow it. My truck struggles quite a bit with my 5k trailer right now.

I'll clarify on the struggling, it can barely do the mountains and I don't want the stress of that on myself or the truck long term so I want a larger engine and better transmission as soon as possible, thus a bigger truck.
2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 pulling a 1996 21 foot StarCraft
Adventure begins in May
23 years old, from Michigan
Add Thank You Reply
From what I know first generation and 2nd generation cummins are single rail 12 valve configuration, I got lucky with a 2nd Gen. 1995 3/4ton under 100k Mi. for 7K cash, with a 1993 slide in 1340 Lb dry. very clean full power and a pleasure to drive, the only change I would make is a newer pop-up
with modern appliances, lighter better. Correct me if I am wrong but up to 1998 it was the same motor but with a primitive computer?
The Ford 7.3 up to 2004.
2015 RTR  adrian.schafgans@gmail.com
Add Thank You Reply
Years and details at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cummins_B_Series_engine
[/url]
[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Harvester_IDI]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Harvester_IDI

Regards
John

Life is not about discovering yourself.  Life is about creating yourself!

Talk is cheap because of simple economics: The supply FAR exceeds the demand!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Optimistic Paranoid for this post:
wayne49 (11-03-2016)
How much mechanical work do you do yourself on vehicles?  Is 4x4 needed?  How much can you realistically spend on a vehicle to replace your current one?
Add Thank You Reply
(11-03-2016, 07:57 AM)29chico Wrote: How much mechanical work do you do yourself on vehicles?  Is 4x4 needed?  How much can you realistically spend on a vehicle to replace your current one?

The brain wants to do it but the body holds me back, probably most of it minus pulling the motor/transmission, someone stole my cherry picker 10 years ago probably did me a favor lol. belts gaskets brakes hoses pumps alternators starters, i am an officially retired street mechanic. learned out of need having not much money in my early years, much like a lot of the "Mottly Crew" we have here. vice grips,roll of wire, hammer and 10 in one screwdriver never be without. I am sure I am leaving a few things out like?
Add Thank You Reply
I'll only do the basic stuff, brakes, rotors, oil etc. I can't do any engine work at this point but I'd be interested to learn what I can.

As for price range realistically I can't buy one until next fall, but the range will be 15-20k.
2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 pulling a 1996 21 foot StarCraft
Adventure begins in May
23 years old, from Michigan
Add Thank You Reply
Thats a bit high if you ask me you can buy a 12 valve cummins for under 6k with 200k plus miles I have seen them with my own computer.
I love the early 7.3 but not in a van unless you have smallish hands just too hard to wrench for my big pawz.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to wagoneer for this post:
wayne49 (11-03-2016)
The F series have a spacious engine compartment with a long hood. The oil filter is on the top to the side of the engine. Still not as great as a F100 with the six.

The E series have a tiny hood for access about 12" across the top. The back of the engine is accessible by clearing the driver's area removing the cup holders, pulling, lifting and rotating the dog house cover out of the way. Then your are looking only at the turbo and the bell housing. Sucks. Reaching anything in between those access points is a yoga exercise for the wrist and elbow.
Add Thank You Reply