Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tip for RTR
Go on Bob's site and check on Reflectix insulation through Amazon. (because it's a great insulation to work with - and because if you connect through Bob, he gets a (small) cut. It's about $25. for a 25 foot roll. Great for desert camps.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to michaelc for this post:
JesseTrue (12-12-2016)
hint, Reflectix is not really insulation. it is good as a heat barrier by reflecting the heat with the foil. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 4 users say Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
Gypsynurse (11-12-2017), Hermes1 (08-23-2017), cyndi (07-07-2017), DrJean (07-07-2017)
I've been trying to wear Bobs search bar out since the settlement came. The two day shipping is really making the Amazon Prime pay for itself.
Add Thank You Reply
Thanks guys, I appreciate it!
2015 GMC Savannah 2500 van, 480 watts of Solar Panels--and a wonderful furry best friend named Cody. I'm out to change the world!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to akrvbob for this post:
Gypsynurse (11-12-2017), SondraRose (11-04-2017), GEAUX- PRIUS Cowboy (06-25-2017)
(12-12-2016, 06:09 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: hint,  Reflectix is not really insulation.  it is good as a heat barrier by reflecting the heat with the foil.   highdesertranger

To clarify, the insulation value of one sheet of Reflectix is R 1. That's not very much at all. A 1" sheet of Polyiso is R 6. That Polyiso is much thicker than one sheet of Reflectix. But to get as much actual R value from Reflectix as Polyiso, it would cost a LOT. All that said, it's theoretically possibly to make very good insulation using reflectix and air gaps. But I don't think it really makes sense to try to make air gaps in a van/rv/trailer. You might as well just use Polyiso.

You can use the radiant barrier of Reflectix to either keep the van warmer or cooler. Having the shiny part facing outward in your windows will keep it cooler inside. Having the shiny part facing inward (on windows or whatever) will keep it warmer.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to FALCON for this post:
VanGrrl57 (12-22-2016)
I had a 25 ft roll, and gave 19 feet of it away. I only use it as a windshield reflector. 

Herbs in Q sells it by the foot.
Trouble rather a tiger in his lair than a sage at his books. To you kingdoms and armies are mighty and enduring, to him they are toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger. G Dickson.
Add Thank You Reply
I am an information hog and I am always looking for the easiest affordable and practical way to deal with problems and solutions and the best solution is the one you found that uses things that people overlook as bla bla. MY FAVORITE RECENT BRAINSTORM is AC tent well you AC a tent your air is going to feel good right in front of that AC but the tent is going to let that cold go right through the walls? Carry foam insulation would be nice you could do a good tape job and have a well insulated room? Sure could but I saw the BEST IDEA EVER. Solution was this person got the cheapo air mattress filled them up and lined them up on the walls. Cold air is dense and hevier than the heat so your bowl created by your air mattress just fills with cold air and walla FUEL IS SAVED. IF you really wanted to do well cap it off with a top mattress make it where you could close in your sleep pod you could probably hang meat inside this if you made it just right. HOPE THIS HELPS SHARE YOUR STORY IF YOU DO THIS ! We live in the SOUTH at night it will be 80 with 90 % humidity not your best sleep .

I see people tell me that living out a prius is too small well I use to live out a Motorcycle Prius is luxury compared to the bike. I never dropped my Prius because of a little blowing sand on the beach either? Take that into consideration I also never got a sun burn driving a Prius or a wind burn. I have parked my bike in the park in NOLA and pitched a tent just to see if it could be done. YUP nobody bothered us we had fun there. We stopped in a hotel I did not leave my bike outside that thing was going in the room with us. I sure did parked that puppy in the room and we knew we had a ride in the morning.
Add Thank You Reply
BOB PUT AIR MATTRESSES IN YOUR STORE OR A GOOD REPAIR KIT FOR THE FOLKS THAT WANT TO REPAIR THEM WHEN THEY FIND THEM TOSSED OR NEAR FREE AT YARD SALES I am an information hog and I am always looking for the easiest affordable and practical way to deal with problems and solutions and the best solution is the one you found that uses things that people overlook as bla bla. MY FAVORITE RECENT BRAINSTORM is AC tent well you AC a tent your air is going to feel good right in front of that AC but the tent is going to let that cold go right through the walls? Carry foam insulation would be nice you could do a good tape job and have a well insulated room? Sure could but I saw the BEST IDEA EVER. Solution was this person got the cheapo air mattress filled them up and lined them up on the walls. Cold air is dense and hevier than the heat so your bowl created by your air mattress just fills with cold air and walla FUEL IS SAVED. IF you really wanted to do well cap it off with a top mattress make it where you could close in your sleep pod you could probably hang meat inside this if you made it just right. HOPE THIS HELPS SHARE YOUR STORY IF YOU DO THIS ! We live in the SOUTH at night it will be 80 with 90 % humidity not your best sleep .

I was thinking a kids pool I saw my niece playing in one of them could serve as a good bed too. Add an air mattress inside then set your AC in a bench a good tape job and you got the best place to sleep that would be ICE COLD in the night top it with some reflectix and you got one hella place to sleep at night. WHAT AM I THINKING EDIT EDIT 2 pools one right side up the other inverted use a portable AC pump heat out can't get any simpler than that. Just make a way for water to sheet off you are in business. WARNING HAS NOT BEEN TESTED YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR INSURING YOU GET ADEQUATE OXYGEN AND THINK FIRE HAZARD ANYTIME YOU TRY ANYTHING NEW

I see people tell me that living out a Prius is too small well I use to live out a Motorcycle Prius is luxury compared to the bike. Why tent well you can live out your prius and pack a tent so easily? I can get a large 7x10 space out of a tent that fits under my seat and still get 45 mpg doing it. I never dropped my Prius because of a little blowing sand on the beach either I did with the bike? Take that into consideration I also never got a sun burn driving a Prius or a wind burn. I have parked my bike in the park in NOLA and pitched a tent just to see if it could be done. YUP nobody bothered us we had fun there. We stopped in a hotel I did not leave my bike outside that thing was going in the room with us. I sure did parked that puppy in the room and we knew we had a ride in the morning. I get it it is very nice to stand up in your van but it is also very nice to put a tarp over your car and have that space for you to be out the rain and sun.
Add Thank You Reply
What is 2018 RTR dates? Website shows 2017 only. Please asvise. New at this.
Add Thank You Reply
^^^ Mary, familiarize yourself with the various forums on the website. There is a Gatherings: Formal and Informal located here: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/foru...php?fid=15

FYI- Staying on topic is very important in the forum.
Exclamation And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years. — Abraham Lincoln
Add Thank You Reply