Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Netflix Documentary on Minimalism--two thumbs up!
For those interested in the subject---Just watched a really good film on Netflix called: "Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things."  It will speak to many kindred spirits here.  Carries many of the sames messages as Bob's awesome "Christmas" blog.
Heart Heart  

Gigi aka Cyndi
'98 Plymouth Grand Voyager
Launch: April 3 2017

Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to Gigi for this post:
Thirsty Boots Nomad (01-03-2017), #1BonBonQueen (01-03-2017), BradKW (01-02-2017)
I watched a bit of it last week. It was interesting, but the two guys that kept hugging people instead of a handshake turned me off. Maybe I'm a weirdo but I really don't like hugging people I haven't met yet. A handshake works just fine. So I minimized Netflix and went to sleep.

Hank
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to 907KHAM687 for this post:
#1BonBonQueen (01-03-2017)
LOL Hank. I know what you mean. It looked like quite a few people on the receiving end of their hugs weren't "huggy" people either!
Heart Heart  

Gigi aka Cyndi
'98 Plymouth Grand Voyager
Launch: April 3 2017

Add Thank You Reply
I watched last night and what they say is true. It's not the having, it's the getting and the charge people get from it.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to jimindenver for this post:
mayble (02-15-2018), #1BonBonQueen (01-03-2017)
(01-02-2017, 10:48 PM)907KHAM687 Wrote: I watched a bit of it last week. It was interesting, but the two guys that kept hugging people instead of a handshake turned me off.  Maybe I'm a weirdo but I really don't like hugging people I haven't met yet. A handshake works just fine.  So I minimized Netflix and went to sleep.

Hank

LOL, I thought the same thing when I watched it. But I guess some folks are so it is OK with them.
I don't like people to "touch" me, unless I want them too. (make sense?)
I have never been a Touchy Feelly person, so I do get what you said.
These guys are awesome tho, as they are very happy in their life now, and are passing on their knowledge, (at a price) to those who are not as happy as they.
I guess I think most of them who are trying to pass on the info is more about the money, than the knowledge.
Maybe I am just a lot pessimistic?
Anyway, I did think they did too much hugging.
Sharon
[Image: 4c42376c9d229759b76e2b4b3bbdfea8.jpg]
Big Grin   2014 SunSeeker.  F-350 V-10. 25' ready,
 with my Hubby and the Pets,
to ride the winds,
 or follow the sun,
 whichever fits our whims.     

Add Thank You Reply
Yeah, I liked the movie. Especially that wide desert monologue shot, and the President Carter speech part.

They have a Podcast that's decent. ("The Minimalists") It's really not spectacular or anything, but I still find myself listening to it regularly and it's one of the oldest podcast/blogs that I still follow. I guess some of the appeal is that it's really easy to listen to, but has enough interesting/complex parts to make me want to listen to more
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to FALCON for this post:
Gigi (01-03-2017)
When things are out of control in life, liberty, and happiness I tend to look back, as many others are doing, to history. I feel that I must know how America began, what our founders intended from where they came from (Great Britain), and how we have been hustled for generations and steered into what/ where we are now. "Back to basics for me". I just finished watching the movie.
Add Thank You Reply
I enjoyed this movie a while back, put together very well. I agree with you Jim on "the getting" vs "the having"; the former includes the thrill of the hunt, the latter is basically stuff for the pile. TXPatriot, your post immediately brought the closing scene from "Killing Them Softly" in this 1:10 minute clip... https://youtu.be/4UzPdUzygvE Please note that the "cynical" reference is for Pitt's character, not a personal reference... this scene simply opens with it.
It's a brand new day
   Cheers, Rick 

Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  netflix documentary "Expedition Happiness" sreesekelley 20 618 22 minutes ago
Last Post: Stephen