Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1500 vs 2500 Diesel or Gas
So when shopping I noticed some patterns emerged in the used vehicle market.

1) low mileage 1500 gasoline truck $15000 with less than 100,000 miles

2). High mileage Diesel 2500 truck with 200000 miles is still $25000. (Many say that's low for a Diesel).

Any price less than or greater than this is suspect as having repair issues. Or hidden factory issues. Finding some older cheaper means lots of warn out parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Add Thank You Reply
Apples to Oranges
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to ArtW for this post:
Outdoorsisfree (02-15-2017)
My issue with high mileage diesels is the engine may be fine for another 200k but everything else on the truck wears out just the same as a gasoline engine.....tires, shocks, struts, exhausts, tie rods, ball joints, transmissions, etc etc. I'mm always shocked at what used trucks go for, that's why I bought new. However, now I wish I went with a 2500.
I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Every Road Leads Home for this post:
Goshawk (01-08-2017)
(01-07-2017, 09:33 AM)Every Road Leads Home Wrote: My issue with high mileage diesels is the engine may be fine for another 200k but everything else on the truck wears out just the same as a gasoline engine.....tires, shocks, struts, exhausts, tie rods, ball joints, transmissions, etc etc.  I'mm always shocked at what used trucks go for, that's why I bought new.  However, now I wish I went with a 2500.

agree.  am willing to go the gasoline truck with less miles, and then know I may need to rebuild at half the miles of the diesel.  But with a $10,000 price difference I can afford to rebuild.
Add Thank You Reply
I got my 2011 F350 lariat cc long bed with 85k miles for 17k, before loan and after trade in. 21k out of pocket. Buying new (i dont drive that much locally) for 3-4x the price is not worth it to me. YMMV
Add Thank You Reply
As a confirmed diesel lover, only buy a diesel if you really need one. I do, so that's what I drive. But my truck is usually about 11,000 lbs going down the road, and I regularly tow 10,000 lbs plus on top of that. And used diesels are now crazy expensive. Shoot, they gave me more for a trade in on my last one than I would have wanted to pay for it retail. If you're only towing a smallish trailer or hauling a light weight camper you're better off with a gas motor from a strictly monetary point of view, provided you get the right motor and the rest of the drivetrain is mat her to it.

As for 1500 vs 2500, you'll most likely never regret buying a 2500 as they are just but tougher, but personally I have never been happy with a 1/2 ton, even when I didn't intend to load it very much.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 5 users say Thank You to masterplumber for this post:
FlowerGirl (12-19-2017), Grizzly708 (10-19-2017), bullfrog (08-09-2017), Hermes1 (08-09-2017), dusty98 (02-25-2017)
I have to agree with masterplumber. Also when considering gas vs diesel, specifically with a 3/4 ton truck, consider payload capacity which will be less on a diesel, than a gasser because of the significant weight difference. So if payload capacity is going to be of concern and are in a situation of needing to gain the most, you do not want to overlook a gasser.
Add Thank You Reply
Most people I would recommend gas at least 3/4 ton for the hardier bunch a 1 ton diesel pre 1997 . I get 500 miles per fill-up.
2015 RTR  adrian.schafgans@gmail.com
Add Thank You Reply
I agree with everything said here.  A few people, with heavy truck campers or heavy trailers, may actually NEED a diesel for it's greater torque.  Everyone else is better off with a gas engine.

I guarantee you that whatever you save on fuel with a diesel, you will MORE than spend on maintenance and more expensive repair bills.
Regards
John

Life is not about discovering yourself.  Life is about creating yourself!

Talk is cheap because of simple economics: The supply FAR exceeds the demand!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to Optimistic Paranoid for this post:
FlowerGirl (12-19-2017), Goshawk (08-10-2017), Ballenxj (08-10-2017)
(08-10-2017, 12:01 PM)Optimistic Paranoid Wrote: I agree with everything said here.  A few people, with heavy truck campers or heavy trailers, may actually NEED a diesel for it's greater torque.  Everyone else is better off with a gas engine.

I guarantee you that whatever you save on fuel with a diesel, you will MORE than spend on maintenance and more expensive repair bills.

I agree. Diesels are great for hauling heavy loads like stock trailers etc, but most of us don't fall into that category. I have seen first hand when diesels need attention, you had better have a really fat wallet. I'm quite happy with my little 318 that pulls my 3/4 ton van along nicely, and gets better than 17mpg on the highway.
Doing the Van thing since the early eighties.
Add Thank You Reply