Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
94 F150 with I-6 as tow vehicle?
The 300 is damn near bullet proof and while not the fastest, it will get you there. I've seen them pull more but a lot more goes into a tow rating than just the engine. Frame, brakes, axle, suspension, payload and transmission all play a part. A 300 with a modern fuel system and transmission would be a beast.
Add Thank You Reply
The 300 is the closest thing you will ever get to diesel pulling with gas. The are tough but when they do go they go like a dollar watch.

I dont think a better moter has ever been made. Never towed with one but my 89 and 85 both stick and 2wd could out pull 4wd v8 trucks. Friends laughed when I backed up to bushes and stuck trailers they couldnt get out with there 350 chevys till my little 300 got the job done. The 300 is fords i6 incase it wasnt said earlier
Add Thank You Reply
OK, it sounds like this truck could be just right for my purposes, despite the factory tow rating being sorta low, I'll see about getting a look at it, if my friend isn't busy the next few days Smile
Add Thank You Reply
(01-27-2017, 02:23 AM)Txjaybird Wrote: All three of the Ford trucks I've owned that were Inline 6s also had long beds.   The '69 with auto made numerous trips to SD from TX fully loaded and pulling a loaded flatbed.  The '73, 3 on the tree was often loaded with gear for hunting/camping and pulled a bass boat .It also traveled the TX to SD route. The '95 had an ext cab & auto tranny.  The loads on the truck or trailers were never weighed, just loaded with what was needed and away we went!  The '69 was the one that I spun out with on black ice in Ike Tx then it stood on right front wheel and fell over onto the passenger side that = $47 for the tow and only  cracked the west coast side mirror.  They were tuff rigs and except for the roll over after leaving a elevated roadway that totaled the '73 [I wasn't driving that 1]   Tongue  they survived what ever my family could throw at them.   

They are 3F.......Ford and Friend Family Tuff

Jewellann

I used to not worry much about tow rating, either, my Ranger made me wary, it is rated at 4000 but a 3150lb trailer on a mild grade dropped her to 45 mph, the poor thing was struggling.
To be fair, I get pinging on hot days running regular, so I don't think it's really running right
If SD is anywhere near as steep as NC, that sounds like a glowing endorsement for the Effy with I6

(01-27-2017, 02:23 AM)jimindenver Wrote: The 300 is damn near bullet proof and while not the fastest, it will get you there. I've seen them pull more but a lot more goes into a tow rating than just the engine. Frame, brakes, axle, suspension, payload and transmission all play a part. A 300 with a modern fuel system and transmission would be a beast.

Thanks Jim, in my googling I found that a SD version of this motor has been used in 15000lb dumps
I think 94 is pretty much as modern as the 300 got, they were phased out in 1996 Sad still, should be a solid pulling motor

(01-27-2017, 08:11 AM)Tedrow42 Wrote: The 300 is the closest thing you will ever get to diesel pulling with gas. The are tough but when they do go they go like a dollar watch.

I dont think a better moter has ever been made. Never towed with one but my 89 and 85 both stick and 2wd could out pull 4wd v8 trucks. Friends laughed when I backed up to bushes and stuck trailers they couldnt get out with there 350 chevys till my little 300 got the job done. The 300 is fords i6 incase it wasnt said earlier

This
This is what I was hoping to hear, although if your 6 was manual and their 350s were automatic, that makes a difference, still, I am encouraged
Thanks
Add Thank You Reply
Chevys was 4x4 mine was 2
Add Thank You Reply
But was the Chevy an automatic, and was your 300 also an automatic? that's what I was getting at, because as others have said, it makes a difference. Thanks for the quick response
Add Thank You Reply
The Ford 300 is the best engine Ford ever made. If you get a van/truck with one, if its in good shape and you take care of it, chances are it'll outlast the rest of the vehicle. But if your planning on towing with one, that's fine, but get an extra capacity radiator and a huge transmission cooler if automatic.
"Progress is a nice word. But change is its motivator. And change has its enemies."

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to steamjam1 for this post:
This world isn't home (11-12-2017)
I had a 74 with manual tran . got good gas mileage but would not pull a greasy string out of a cats butt. my brother had a friend in west Virginia with same set up  and had to go to low gear to get up those wv mt.. he found a old 64 and swaped rearends  then he could top those mt in third gear but gas mileage went down.
Add Thank You Reply
The 300 I6 is a great engine. But doing much towing with that trailer with a F150 and that engine would be a mistake. It'll nickel and dime you to death with repairs in the long run. Don't bring it out west and find some real hills.
2015 GMC Savannah 2500 van, 480 watts of Solar Panels--and a wonderful furry best friend named Cody. I'm out to change the world!
Add Thank You Reply
Thanks for the input everyone, Bob that's what I needed to hear, though not what I wanted to
Anyway, I looked at it yesterday, and it's not in the shape it'd need to be for $1000, gash in cab corner behind driver's door, both mirrors missing, driver's door doesn't open from inside
I saw a 3/4 ton Chevy w/ 350 and 4spd manual (yep, Granny low) that one I think is too much truck, wound out pretty good at 60mph, I'll keep looking
Add Thank You Reply