Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern Day Walden
Many of us with a nomad heart talk about Thoreau and his influence and inspiration on our life style(or in my case, future lifestyle). But who are our modern day Thoreau's? What current authors are writing what will be the Waldens of future generations? Tell us what you have read and what you recommend for others. Give basic info but don't give away so much that folks won't want to read for themselves!

I'll start.

William Least Heat-Moon's "Blue Highways"

Least Heat-Moon went through a difficult time with a divorce and loss of his job. He outfitted a van with sleeping and cooking facilities and set out on a journey to travel America restricting himself to the blue highways as shown on his Rand McNally atlas. These highways kept him traveling through much of rural America. Published in 1982.

I originally bought this book as a gift for my dad who was a truck driver. I thought he might enjoy reading it as he traveled. My nomad heart(Romani ancestry) comes from his side of the family. But he had been "assimilated" and couldn't accept alternative living styles. (Driving a truck was the socially acceptable way for my dad to soothe his nomad dreams. He just didn't realize it). So I took the book back from him and for the first time realized my possibilities.

Here's more info:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Highways
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to Chitza for this post:
Vagabound (09-09-2017), Txjaybird (02-18-2017), AbuelaLoca (02-17-2017)
Thanks for that, I'll look in my local Library for that title
I used to write, some, but somehow everything i wrote sidetracked off into areas I didn't want to write about, and I quit after trash-canning numerous stories that went off the plot too far for me to recover
Add Thank You Reply
If you really like it (it's also available as an audiobook if you want to listen to it while you drive); there are a couple other books associated with it you may also enjoy. The first is the author revisiting the drive 20 years later, the second is how the author came to write the book(s) in the first place:

BLUE HIGHWAYS Revisited
https://www.amazon.com/BLUE-HIGHWAYS-Rev...+revisited

Writing BLUE HIGHWAYS: The Story of How a Book Happened
https://www.amazon.com/Writing-BLUE-HIGH...e+highways
"Having the gumption to live different and the sense to let everybody else live different.  That's the hardest thing, hands down." --- Alice Venable Middleton
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Thirsty Boots Nomad for this post:
AbuelaLoca (02-17-2017)
Of course include Desert Solitare by Edward Abbey. A great read by someone who was truly "one with the outdoors."
Speed Gray, K8SG
Grand Rapids, MI

"If you want all the comforts of home . . . stay home." Cutiepie Gray

P7: Proper Pre-Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Peterbilt Motorhome Construction Project Website here; check it out!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to speedhighway46 for this post:
frater secessus (02-18-2017), AbuelaLoca (02-17-2017), highdesertranger (02-17-2017)
We need a sticky on this Big Grin
I actually prefer my books in book form
Add Thank You Reply
And of course the 1957 novel...................On The Road by Jack Kerouac
Fulltime in a Ford Transit High Roof Extended since October 2017.....Camper Conversion by me
......See Ya'll out there on the road and RTR 2018............Two Cats and a Doug
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to abnorm for this post:
AbuelaLoca (02-17-2017)
Desert Solitaire is a great read. also Thousand Mile Summer by Colin Fletcher. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
AbuelaLoca (02-17-2017)
I'll go with The Martian: A Novel by Andy Weir ...even if you saw the movie adaptation, do yourself a favor and read the book.

It probably sounds like an odd fit for this thread, but the book's overriding themes are 1) coping with solitude, 2) acceptance of adversity, 3) self-reliance, and 4) the power of positive outlook and good humor.

There's a reason that an unknown author's FIRST book (self published) went from a viral word-of-mouth best seller, to a major motion picture...more than worth checking it out   Smile

Ford E450 Box Truck RV Conversion
...but no pictures thanks to Photobucket...
Add Thank You Reply
The following 5 users say Thank You to BradKW for this post:
BiggerontheInside (02-18-2017), Thirsty Boots Nomad (02-18-2017), frater secessus (02-18-2017), AbuelaLoca (02-17-2017), waldenbound (02-17-2017)
This is a very good question. I would say that the modern Waldens are those that step back from society for a life of self sufficiency.
I say Dick Proenneke fits this description. I loved the book Alone In The Wilderness. He was a god with tools, and while he got stuff delivered to him by his pilot friend, he was extremely self-sufficient. His story is incredible.
“Who has not felt the urge to throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." -John Muir
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to waldenbound for this post:
AbuelaLoca (02-17-2017)
(02-17-2017, 06:57 PM)waldenbound Wrote: I say Dick Proenneke fits this description. I loved the book Alone In The Wilderness. He was a god with tools, and while he got stuff delivered to him by his pilot friend, he was extremely self-sufficient. His story is incredible.

He filmed much of his cabin construction that was turned into a short documentary. I first saw it on PBS years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

Guy
"We're all bozos on the bus, so might as well sit back and enjoy the ride."

Wavy Gravy

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to gsfish for this post:
MFrancisDwyer (01-07-2018)