Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camping across Texas
Need help finding places to camp as I am going through Texas. Campgrounds, state parks, safe boondocking...whatever your experiences have been
Add Thank You Reply
We stopped in for a night at Tho­mpson Grove Picnic Site. Was just us there. Small place, couple picnic tables and vault toilets. About 15 miles from Texline, Tx. Stars were awesome because its quite isolated. In the morning 3 dogs came around, they were friendly enough.
96 Dodge Ram Van 3500 360 5.9L
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Wabbit for this post:
Lisa Truck Gypsy (03-13-2017)
Freecampsites.net is a great refererence. I just finished a 2 month stay in Texas, had a great time. EnjoySmile
Bob
2016 Ford Transit 2500, 130" WB, Mid roof
Full time since Aug 2016
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to BobBski for this post:
I second Freecampsites.net. Most Walmarts and other big box stores are good too. We also stay overnight at the small rest area/picnic table stops along state roads. They don't have anything but tables and trash cans. I think you can stay for 24 hours.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to tonyandkaren for this post:
Freecamsites.net is a great go to
Also, forum members who aren't on the road may offer accommodation
I'm stationary, and I have a spot in the yard members could use, if you were in the Garwood area and wanted more than an overnight, neighborhood is run down and probably looks unsafe, but I've had no problems aside from one pesky woman in the area who has since moved
Columbus Walmart / HEB (where I work) allows overnight parking, and I see some vehicles there for more than one night
Add Thank You Reply
Just FYI the place in Tx is called Thompson Grove Campground. Its prob a 2 week stay. Its in a National Park grassland.
96 Dodge Ram Van 3500 360 5.9L
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Wabbit for this post:
Many of the rest areas off the freeways are safe, with 24 hour security, for overnighting.

http://txdot.gov/driver/travel/rest-area...%2Fmap.htm
I'd like to give myself a few negative ratings, because I am such a big meanie. The forum won't allow it. Feel free!

Cyndi (made it across the cattle guard)
http://rvlyeverafter.blogspot.com/

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
~ Adam Savage
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to cyndi for this post:
DrJean (03-15-2017)
Magnolia Beach near Port Lavaca if your near the Gulf. Its SE of San Antone about an hour. You can drive right on the beach as its all hard packed seashells & boondock camp right next to the water. Free! on the beach No permit needed & no time limit. No one ever messes with you. Pik is my rig when I spent a week there first of December on my way to the desert.

Can't get any better!.........INTJohn TV

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to INTJohn for this post:
rvpopeye (02-27-2017)
Also campendium.com

When contemplating Texas state parks, keep in mind that in addition to the camping fee there's a park entry fee for each day you're there. If you plan on using their parks a lot, it's worth it to get an annual pass.
Someone wanted me to put this here: http://rollingsteeltent.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply
The best places to camp in Texas are in Louisiana and New Mexico.
2015 GMC Savannah 2500 van, 480 watts of Solar Panels--and a wonderful furry best friend named Cody. I'm out to change the world!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 7 users say Thank You to akrvbob for this post:
NaturePhreak (03-28-2017), AlreadyGone (03-20-2017), Nelda (03-20-2017), Matlock (03-19-2017), AbuelaLoca (03-13-2017), rvpopeye (02-27-2017), Wabbit (02-27-2017)