Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camping across Texas
You just missed the world's largest rattlesnake round up there at Sweetwater! I have a brother that used to go for that.
Add Thank You Reply
(03-27-2017, 07:48 PM)Dennis Wrote: You just missed the world's largest rattlesnake round up there at Sweetwater!  I have a brother that used to go for that.

I watched a few videos on that.  I had the idea of stocking up on some skins for my leather work while I'm here but I'm kind of up in the air about the bloodthirsty nature of the event and do I want to support it?  There are other towns that do rattlesnake round-ups but they are catch and release after they've milked the venom - probably a better way to go.
Add Thank You Reply
I think they have a big BBQ?
Stay Tuned
popeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC CRVL edition
12 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 4 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards! (What a "Stinkin' " honor !) + ROOIRIA

1981 Travelcraft Class C - 23'
Add Thank You Reply
(03-27-2017, 07:48 PM)Dennis Wrote: You just missed the world's largest rattlesnake round up there at Sweetwater!  I have a brother that used to go for that.

Ugh. I'm a longtime snake keeper who used to make a living doing live reptile shows for school classes--I've kept around 100 different species, including venomous.

These "rattlesnake roundups" are a travesty. Most of their idiot babbling is just sensational and inaccurate, and virtually none of the snakes are actually caught locally--they are all imported.

It may impress tourists who simply want to see the snakes and who don't know very much about them, but we snakers heartily give them a double thumbs-down.

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply
(03-27-2017, 08:20 PM)IanC Wrote: I watched a few videos on that.  I had the idea of stocking up on some skins for my leather work while I'm here but I'm kind of up in the air about the bloodthirsty nature of the event and do I want to support it?  There are other towns that do rattlesnake round-ups but they are catch and release after they've milked the venom - probably a better way to go.

An aside--all the venom milking they do is just a stunt, and is useless from a practical point of view since it is not extracted under medical lab conditions.

There are only a few places that actually extract venom for medical purposes, and only one lab that actually makes anti-venom.

Add Thank You Reply
(03-28-2017, 12:34 PM)lenny flank Wrote: It may impress tourists who simply want to see the snakes and who don't know very much about them, but we snakers heartily give them a double thumbs-down.

It was the booth where kids put their hands under the freshly de-capitated snakes and make bloody hand prints on the wall that was way over the top and negated any supposed 'educational' aspect.

BTW, I ran over one of those guys this morning - didn't see it in time to swerve. I felt pretty bad about it.
Add Thank You Reply
(03-28-2017, 01:40 PM)IanC Wrote: BTW, I ran over one of those guys this morning - didn't see it in time to swerve. I felt pretty bad about it.

We call those DORs--"Dead On Road". Alas, snakes like to be on the warm pavement, and have no idea what a "car" is.  Wink

Add Thank You Reply
There is no more fascination to me in watching that than in a cattle or chicken slaughterhouse. I have had that opinion for many years. I also don't care to keep snakes...or tigers...or grizzly bears. Some people do.
Add Thank You Reply
Here's a cool park with free camping in Granbury, Texas.  It's not a wilderness experience, but nice and quiet - good for a few days.  Granbury also has a nice looking little downtown area - like a formerly dead vintage small town downtown that has been rejuvenated.  I find that park camping is best, Monday through Friday when you usually have the place almost to yourself.  Suits me, because after 5-7 days I start getting bored and get itchy to see something new.  This is a nice stop over.  Now I need to decide - do I go up into Arkansas and Missouri, or head South again after this stop.

Looks like the severe weather is behind me, for this week anyway - going to be beautiful.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to IanC for this post:
bullfrog (04-04-2017)
Great thread
Add Thank You Reply