Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camping across Texas
I left Granbury this morning. A bit windy on I 20, but not too bad. I was surprised that there was as much traffic as there was going through DFW on a Sunday. Just a ways past Dallas is Winnsboro, Texas and this sweet spot right on Winnsboro Lake. It's right on a little peninsula jutting out into the lake, so water on 3 sides. There were some better spots than the one I took, but too shady for solar. Again, not wilderness but I have this whole park to myself. Free with bathrooms and water.

East Texas is some beautiful countryside, very lush and green everywhere. Another thing about Texas is that no matter where I've been, people are awesome, friendly and kind.  People go out of their way to pull out maps and phones to help me get un-lost, and getting lost on these winding back roads isn't hard to do.  Last spot in Texas before I head into Arkansas.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Add Thank You Reply
Sure enough lush and green. Looks like weather might be bumpy tomorrow afternoon again.

I don't know what your route is, if you have it planned, but there is a very scenic drive from eastern Oklahoma into western Arkansas on the Talimena Scenic Drive. Just east of Talihina, OK. Thought I would mention it if you didn't know about it and looking for a nice drive. Goes across Rich Mountain of OK and AR. and into Ouachita National Forest. Been on it several times in years past. A little farther east and there are the crystal mines if you want to get dirty.
Add Thank You Reply
(04-09-2017, 09:18 PM)Dennis Wrote: Sure enough lush and green.  Looks like weather might be bumpy tomorrow afternoon again.  

I don't know what your route is, if you have it planned, but there is a very scenic drive from eastern Oklahoma into western Arkansas on the Talimena Scenic Drive. Just east of Talihina, OK.   Thought I would mention it if you didn't know about it and looking for a nice drive.  Goes across Rich Mountain of OK and AR. and into Ouachita National Forest.  Been on it several times in years past.  A little farther east and there are the crystal mines if you want to get dirty.

Awesome, Dennis - that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Not much planning here - I usually just try and figure what I'm going to do a few days ahead. I'd been looking at spots in Ouachita NF on freecampsites.  I'm going to take your advice.  Thanks - much appreciated.

Boy, this is one windy area - it's coming across the lake now - looks like a choppy sea. I'll batten down the hatches for tomorrow.
Add Thank You Reply
Thought you might be interested. Only thing, it is winding and some steep grades. Has scenic pull offs. This storm and rain coming tomorrow will hopefully have moved on east when you get ready to move. It is a pretty drive!

Going to be time for a new state thread soon. Smile
Add Thank You Reply
(04-09-2017, 10:22 PM)Dennis Wrote: Going to be time for a new state thread soon. Smile

I hope people keep this going and keep sharing the spots they find.  There might be many more remote spots out west, but there's plenty to discover here as well.
Add Thank You Reply
(04-10-2017, 08:45 AM)IanC Wrote: I hope people keep this going and keep sharing the spots they find.  There might be many more remote spots out west, but there's plenty to discover here as well.

I've been having a good time in Oklahoma City. When I first got here one of the cashiers at a museum told me, when she heard I was from Florida, that she lived here all her life and doesn't see why any tourist would come to Oklahoma. But there are actually some cool little museums here.

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply
Panhandle Plains Museum in Canyon TX is worth checking out if ever in the area. So is Palo Duro Canyon outside of town a few miles.
Add Thank You Reply
(04-09-2017, 10:22 PM)Dennis Wrote:   This storm and rain coming tomorrow

Here it comes - from the weather map, you're getting it too
Add Thank You Reply
Nothing here yet. Just might get missed by most of the storms. Not you though. lol
Campers buckle down!
Add Thank You Reply
Palo Duro Canyon is a great drive, a bit twisty on the way down and hot as the innards of hell in the summer, but should be nice now.

Rob
Add Thank You Reply