Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RV Park Parking costs
West of Allen Texas on 380 I found an RV park I thought I might use when visiting my daughter. Of some 200 + spaces I only saw two open. I stopped and ask a gentleman what the cost was. He told me $600/month and you pay your own electric. I nearly fell over. It was a nice park but good grief! $600.00 ???? I guess I am a dinosaur when looking at travel costs. I can afford to get a pretty sweet solar set up and a back up gen set for that kind of money. Yea boon-docking is my best option . There is a Walmart not far from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Add Thank You Reply
yeah its all fixed...they want the same price for a lousy camp spot as you'd pay in rent
Add Thank You Reply
That's a high dollar area now with big money happenings going on within a short distance. Seems like just yesterday that Allen and McKinney were small sleepy communities. Those days are gone for good. 380 actually runs east to west through McKinney. There is a park north of McKinney that had rental costs around $450 about 15 years ago. Plus electric.
Add Thank You Reply
Thumbs Up 
Same thing here in Orlando, county & state parks are booked out 6 months ( you can get a few week days but weekends are booked ) 
and the few privates campgrounds cost more that a 5 star hotel and the rules make it a place i can't enjoy

how we're having wild fires and they have shut down the free boondocking spots .... 

right now my built out cargo is sitting in my warehouse in the middle of the city .... talk about stealth camping 
great thing is the skylights in warehouse keeps the solar charged
I am good with god .... Wonder how she feels about me ?
Add Thank You Reply
^Hmm, that gives me an idea. My largest hang up on living on the road full time is having a shop for woodworking. I love making things as much as I like traveling. I could just get a shop somewhere and park my trailer in it or next to it as desired and live in the trailer instead of a traditional house, which I have little need or desire for. When the itch to travel hits, lock the doors and hit the road
I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life.
Add Thank You Reply
(04-16-2017, 09:32 PM)Every Road Leads Home Wrote: ^Hmm, that gives me an idea.  My largest hang up on living on the road full time is having a shop for woodworking. I love making things as much as I like traveling.  I could just get a shop somewhere and park my trailer in it or next to it as desired and live in the trailer instead of a traditional house, which I have little need or desire for.  When the itch to travel hits, lock the doors and hit the road
Could you carry the equipment you need in a cargo trailer? My Dad was a woodworker, not great at but it was something he loved. It made it easy to find gifts for him on birthdays and such. 

He would get home from work, shed his suit and put on his woodworking gear. Good Memories.

Rob
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Gunny for this post:
Every Road Leads Home (04-18-2017)

(04-16-2017, 09:32 PM)Every Road Leads Home Wrote: I love making things as much as I like traveling.

In Havasu, I parked near a guy from Alaska. His hobby was wood turning. The tailgate of his truck had a workbench surface and when it was down he had cabinets for his bits, etc. He'd turn branches of mesquite he found into all kinds of cool things. Nice guy - we hung out all week.  We still text back and forth.

Funny, when he found a branch he'd be so excited - a pretty rare find in that part of Arizona, but when I got to Texas I almost hated to tell him there were whole forests of mesquite and you can get all the turning stock you could ever use in anyone's brush pile.

Yes, that was the saddest part of getting rid of my stuff - my woodshop tools
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to IanC for this post:
Goshawk (06-06-2017), Every Road Leads Home (04-18-2017)
(04-16-2017, 11:36 PM)Gunny Wrote: Could you carry the equipment you need in a cargo trailer? My Dad was a woodworker, not great at but it was something he loved. It made it easy to find gifts for him on birthdays and such. 

He would get home from work, shed his suit and put on his woodworking gear. Good Memories.

Rob

I can build a lot with a small amount of tools, but traveling, the hardest part is carrying/getting the material and then what to do with what you built?  It's not the same as having a nice shop but you can def build a lot with a little.  Funny, i've been trying to get on the road and have a shop for years, two contradicting endeavors.  I now have a nice little shop set up at my house and it's like having a damn anchor!  Though, helping other's with their builds has crossed my mind.  Doing that would make me pretty happy.  

Here's a kitchen I built and installed the cabinets in a few years back. And a bench for a customer's entryway.  And a desk I still have that I built for myself a good ten years ago now, maybe longer.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Every Road Leads Home for this post:
Ballenxj (04-23-2017), OutdoorFT (04-18-2017)
Thats how much I pay a month for rent in the city. Id rather pay it out there than in here. However, theres much cheaper places to stay.
Add Thank You Reply
There are places in S.Tx that are in the 2-3 hundred range. It's all about location...

My shop is a lot smaller these days , the other day I made a toothpic !
Stay Tuned
popeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC CRVL edition
12 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 4 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards! (What a "Stinkin' " honor !) + ROOIRIA

1981 Travelcraft Class C - 23'
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
mudbunny (04-25-2017), Every Road Leads Home (04-18-2017), gsfish (04-18-2017)