Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tunnel between cab and cap.
Great! I'll keep this in mind and seek to pay a visit back to this thread in case any other thoughts come up. One final question, what risks are run if the windows are uneven and the boot is installed?
Add Thank You Reply
you can't do it. the circumference of both opening must measure the same. if they are not the boot will not install correctly. if the cab opening is 96 inches and the cap is 94 inches the boot will not fit right you will either be 2 inches long or 2 inches short. where are you located? highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
(04-19-2017, 08:31 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: you can't do it.  the circumference of both opening must measure the same.  if they are not the boot will not install correctly.  if the cab opening is 96 inches and the cap is 94 inches the boot will not fit right you will either be 2 inches long or 2 inches short.  where are you located?  highdesertranger

I see what your point is here. I'm residing up in fair weather Michigan.
Add Thank You Reply
I solved this issue by buying and installing a rear cab window with a slider middle window and then a cap with the same. I'd open both windows, crawl back, then close. No need for boot or accordion. Got a lot of bruises on my thighs and honestly no one with hips over 36" could probably fit. Had a big girlfriend once, took some effort to push her back there.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Svenn for this post:
jclay (12-11-2017)
(04-20-2017, 08:10 PM)Svenn Wrote: I solved this issue by buying and installing a rear cab window with a slider middle window and then a cap with the same.  I'd open both windows, crawl back, then close.  No need for boot or accordion.  Got a lot of bruises on my thighs and honestly no one with hips over 36" could probably fit.  Had a big girlfriend once, took some effort to push her back there.

I used to do that, when I was younger and skinnier. The problem with the newer trucks is if you can find a slider for it, it's uber expensive and only has about a 1' square opening. The one for my Ram is something like $850!
Add Thank You Reply
(04-20-2017, 08:36 PM)masterplumber Wrote: I used to do that, when I was younger and skinnier. The problem with the newer trucks is if you can find a slider for it, it's uber expensive and only has about a 1' square opening. The one for my Ram is something like $850!

Yeah it took me forever to find an after-market rear window with a slider; the new ones are now only like 10" square if that.
Add Thank You Reply
So you really do size up your girlfriends now?
Add Thank You Reply
'gee you're a swell girlfriend'
'I can't wriggle through the window'
'it's over'
Add Thank You Reply
If there is one thing to put a damper on a romantic evening, it's your girlfriend trying to fit through the rear window of your truck and getting stuck. You'd just have to drive her on down to the market like that and get some Crisco to loosen her up.
...Anyways, originally I was thinking about just replacing the cab window with one that slides. Since my shell already has one, I figured I could just squeeze on through and call it a day. The only problem: the sliding window on the shell is only about 15" diagonal from corner to corner. After trying the 'cut the same size square in cardboard'' method and attempting to squeeze my body through, I realized it could only be done nude, and nearly dislocating a shoulder. Sure would be nice to find some sliding windows with 36" though...I could manage that. Plus, there wouldn't be the heat loss and road noise compared to installing an accordion boot (which isn't ideal anyways because it means taking a sawzall to the cap). Any ideas where to look for these rumored windows with 36"? What about contacting a glazier for such a thing?
Thanks for the interesting thread guys.
Add Thank You Reply
It might help if we knew what vehicle we are trying to help you with.
Add Thank You Reply