Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carry a gun? Extra cash? Where?
I have toured a lot of RVs while learning about them.   One thing they all have in common is a "hidden" compartment.

Knowing there is one seems almost an invitation to any robber to hunt for it.
Or, LEO deciding to do a little confiscation. 

So, the question comes to my mind.   How do I hide such things and have them remain Both accessible and secure?

The second question comes.. is it even legal to have a gun in other than the state it was issued?   What about "concealed carry".   Is it considered illegal de Facto?

If I carry mace, then those same questions apply.   Some states...mace isn't legal at all.
"I never saw a sight that didn't look better looking back"

Kat, Smidge the cat, and Honey

1988 Honeywell.  E350 chassis   21'
Add Thank You Reply
Not sure about guns, but "dog" and "bear" repellent are legal in all 50 states. This might have changed, so double check. The caveat is that you can't use them on humans. Although, if you are pulling out mace to protect yourself, legality issues surrounding mace would be my last concern.
96 Dodge Ram Van 3500 360 5.9L
Add Thank You Reply
(04-30-2017, 06:44 AM)RoamingKat Wrote: I have toured a lot of RVs while learning about them.   One thing they all have in common is a "hidden" compartment.

Knowing there is one seems almost an invitation to any robber to hunt for it.
Or, LEO deciding to do a little confiscation. 

So, the question comes to my mind.   How do I hide such things and have them remain Both accessible and secure?

The second question comes.. is it even legal to have a gun in other than the state it was issued?   What about "concealed carry".   Is it considered illegal de Facto?

If I carry mace, then those same questions apply.   Some states...mace isn't legal at all.
If you carry a gun, you need to have training and know the applicable laws. Some states recognize other states' carry permits, some don't. Get the apps CCW and Legal Heat, keep them updated, they'll keep you informed about the laws in each state including reciprocity.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Gypsy Jane
Camped somewhere, somewhen.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Gypsy Jane for this post:
free2enjoy (12-28-2017), Kathleen (04-30-2017)
Different states have different laws about transporting firearms. Usually handguns are more restricted. Some will require the handgun and ammo each to be locked up separately. Definitely do your research. And I wouldn't put a gun in any "hidden" compartment.
[Image: W2lacLw.jpg]
Add Thank You Reply
There's a bill in the house right now to extend carry rights to all 50 states if you're allowed to carry in your own state. One issue some are having with this bill is the wording in it. Nannie States could repeal their concealed carry laws all together and then you still wouldn't be allowed to carry in those states under the new proposed federal legislation, so I suppose one step at a time though.
I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life.
Add Thank You Reply
(04-30-2017, 06:44 AM)RoamingKat Wrote: The second question comes.. is it even legal to have a gun in other than the state it was issued?   What about "concealed carry".   Is it considered illegal de Facto?

A couple of fundamentals:

Long guns - with the exception of guns that some states classify as "assault weapons" - are legal to possess in all fifty states.  They're even legal for you to take to Canada, provided you fill out the proper paperwork at the border.  Lots of American Sportsmen go hunting in Canada.  Mexico would be a different story.

Under Federal law, it is legal to transport firearms across state lines provided that the firearm is legal where the journey starts and legal where the journey ends, and the gun is locked up in your vehicle, unloaded, and inaccessible during traffic stops.

Handguns can only be purchased in your state of residence. 

Currently, the following states permit concealed carry without any permit being necessary:  AK, AZ, KS, ME, MS, MO, NH, VT, and WV.

Currently, the rest of the country is a horrible hodge podge.  Some states permit concealed carry if you have a concealed carry permit from any other state.  Some states require a permit for concealed carry, but permit open carry without any permit. Some states will issue a non-resident concealed carry permit. (I'm in NY, and I currently have non-res permits from CT, NH, and UT).  Some states will not permit a non-resident to carry within their borders at all.  In a very few states, a non resident can't even posses a handgun - NY is one such state. Some states have really odd laws that can trip you up.  In NJ, hollow point ammo is illegal even if the gun itself is legal.

Your best source of info on all this is the web site Handgun Law:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Note that this site has special sections dealing with RV/CAR CARRY and LONG GUNS IN VEHICLES
Regards
John

Life is not about discovering yourself.  Life is about creating yourself!

Talk is cheap because of simple economics: The supply FAR exceeds the demand!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 4 users say Thank You to Optimistic Paranoid for this post:
frater secessus (12-28-2017), free2enjoy (12-28-2017), XFILE36 (05-02-2017), Kathleen (04-30-2017)
(04-30-2017, 06:44 AM)RoamingKat Wrote: So, the question comes to my mind.   How do I hide such things and have them remain Both accessible and secure?

We've had some discussion of "hidden compartments" before.  In Canada, and Ohio, and possibly other places, they've decided that only a drug dealer would want a hidden compartment, and finding such a compartment in a vehicle, even if it's empty, can result in them confiscating your vehicle.

See:

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...mpartments
Regards
John

Life is not about discovering yourself.  Life is about creating yourself!

Talk is cheap because of simple economics: The supply FAR exceeds the demand!
Add Thank You Reply
(04-30-2017, 07:29 AM)Every Road Leads Home Wrote: There's a bill in the house right now to extend carry rights to all 50 states if  you're allowed to carry in your own state.  One issue some are having with this bill is the wording in it.  Nannie States could repeal their concealed carry laws all together and then you still wouldn't be allowed to carry in those states under the new proposed federal legislation, so I suppose one step at a time though.

I have been following this (elsewhere) and the logic is that if you have a drivers license issued by the state you reside in, you can drive in all 50 states. If you have taken the course for CCW that is usually more in depth than getting a D.L. why shouldn't it too be allowed in all 50? I believe that point is valid.
Doing the Van thing since the early eighties.
Add Thank You Reply
Rv's are full of factory built hidden compartments, they waste space all over.  Tap into one of those.  I personally don't care if hidden compartments are illegal, I'll still have one.  Speeding is illegal and I do it everyday.  They also actively check for speeding cars and i've been pulled over for it twice in my life and let off both times.  What are the odds i'm pulled over, then searched, and then have my vehicle seized because they found my hidden compartment?  I'm confident enough to say there is absolutely 0 chance that will ever happen to me.  

And shame on me if I get searched and they find my hidden compartment.  Means I didn't hide it good enough.

*oops, sorry, meant to post this on the Hiding places thread, not sure how I put it in this thread.  Mods move it over if you can
I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life.
Add Thank You Reply
With the cravat that getting free legal advice is worth what you paid for it, I will try to explain what I know:

I do not have a 'hidden' compartment in my camper.  I have a locked compartment that is out of sight and would be difficult for a thief to access in a limited amount of time.  In this I keep my passport, important papers, extra cash, duplicate keys, and my handgun when it is necessary to have it locked up.

There are a number of different small boxes that will lock a gun securely.  Some of them have fingerprint or wrist band access.  Example:   http://www.midwayusa.com/product/307534/...teel-black

Currently, the legality of gun posession and carrying is different in each state and MUST be researched for each state you travel through and stay in (the law can be different for each).  A good place to start:  http://handgunlaw.us
Long guns are treated differently and again, you need to do due diligence to know that you are legal!

Concealed carry is a permit that is issued by your state of residence after you have gone through some training to show proficiency.  Every state sets their own requirements.

Resiprocity is other states that recognize your states permit; it is then legal to carry concealed in those states.  In addition, some states will issue permits to permit holders from other states that have gone through training to meet the requirements (except for residency) of those states.  I have a Minnesota and a Utah permit.  This enables me to carry in all the western states that I travel in.  I try to avoid states that I am not legal to carry in.

In the current state of affairs one must know what the law is in the place you are at.  Again, I cannot stress it to highly:  Know the law!  It can be very costly to be ignorant.

As to mace, stun guns, bear spray, et.al. I know little.  Bear spray says right on my canister "not to be used on humans", although that would not stop me if that is all I have to protect myself.

-- Spiff
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to Spaceman Spiff for this post:
free2enjoy (12-28-2017), Gypsy Jane (05-02-2017), Kathleen (04-30-2017)