Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost & Found
A large toolbox, full of tools.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to gargoyle for this post:
Every Road Leads Home (05-02-2017)
Always finding things here at the campground. Into Lost and Found they go but if not claimed within two weeks its finders keepers. Numerous flashlights, pocket knives, a camera, couple of hammocks, camp chairs, you name it. The New York City folks have no place to store things so often leave tents and canopys. The rental rvs are the best though. We're the last stop before flying home for many of the foreign visitors so they leave everything they can't fit in their suitcase. One couple bought bicycles for their month long tour of the US and gave them to us. Usually it's nice linens, cooking gear, food and liquor.
I've left my purse in a shopping cart a few times but it was waiting in the store when I came back with everything inside. Guess I'm lucky.
A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour
http://middleagedworkamper.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to decodancer for this post:
liquor, people leave liquor? I am there. LOL highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
Crow (05-07-2017), Every Road Leads Home (05-02-2017)
(05-02-2017, 06:12 PM)decodancer Wrote:  The New York City folks have no place to store things so often leave tents and canopys.  

I have an Aunt & Uncle who do this.  They go camping once or twice a year and buy all new stuff for the trip then ask someone in the campground if they want the stuff and of course people scoop it right up.  

They then repeat it at Christmas time.....buy a tree, buy the lights and ornaments.  After Christmas they drag it to the curb with a free sign and away it goes.
I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life.
Add Thank You Reply
Various pocketknives, money, a new furkid (several times) and once, back int the woods, a pretty good reproduction of a Gladius (Roman shortsword) someone had handmade
I bet that item's owner kicked theirself good and hard
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to ArtW for this post:
Did someone say New York City? I was walking with a friend in the city a couple decades ago and came across a small neat pile of books and things that someone had left at the curb, obviously free for the taking, we had seen several similar piles already. I took a look and found an original screenplay for the movie "Shaft". What are the odds of that happening?

I had been looking for a particular, hard to find, carburetor (Dellorto UA 19 s) for a motorcycle project for years.  I found one now and again on eBay but could never justify the prices asked, sometimes up to $500 for a complete one in good condition. One day I was at a local You Pull It and checking out without finding anything when I happened to look down the greasy bench and saw a little carburetor. I picked it up and couldn't believe my eyes, it was THE carb that I was looking for and it was complete, including manifold. That's when I got a little nervous before asking if it was for sale but the guy said "I guess so, it's been laying there for awhile, how much will you give me for it?" I said ten bucks and the deal was done. Not like I found it in the gutter but I consider it one of my best ever "finds". BTW, I've found lots of tools in pull it yards.

Guy
"We're all bozos on the bus, so might as well sit back and enjoy the ride."

Wavy Gravy

Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to gsfish for this post:
DeWALT12 (07-09-2017), Every Road Leads Home (05-02-2017)
I was driving to the nearby grocery store the other day and saw a huge curb pile with a free sign on it. Golf clubs would you believe? A full set of women's left handed clubs in a leather bag. Did I mention that I'm left handed and enjoy playing golf? There was also a stand mixer which I grabbed for a friend, she was thrilled.
A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour
http://middleagedworkamper.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to decodancer for this post:
DeWALT12 (07-09-2017)
I'm amazed that some of the things I've lost have come back to me. Once I left my wallet on a gas pump because I got distracted by a phone call while filling up. Went to Napa next door right after and before I left Napa I got a call from a guy that found it - I could see him talking on the phone from where I stood. When i was young I lost my wallet while riding an ATV in the desert. A few weeks later I received it back in the mail. I've only been married once, going on 31 years now, but I'm on my third wedding ring. I put them in my watch pocket while working and I also used to stick the carabiner from my key ring in there. It tends to flip the ring out un noticed when I grab my keys. One ring was found and returned several times, once in the snow. I quit putting my keys there after loosing a couple nice gold rings - hey, maybe HDR found them. But now I just have a cheap $18 ring off Amazon so I'll probably never lose it.
Add Thank You Reply
That reminds me of a time I lost my ball cap while sailing in the Caloosahatchee river in SW Florida. It was one that had kind of become my trademark because I was usually wearing it. Of course I was bummed. A few days later a friend called and said "Hey, you left your hat when you were over here the other day" I explained about loosing it and he told me that he had found it on his boat ramp so that meant that my hat had managed to travel several miles and wash up on the private boat ramp of the only person that I knew that had riverfront property!!

Don't ask me how I managed this one but about ten years ago I went to the pharmacy for my mom after cashing a check for her at the bank. I paid for the pills from the little bank envelope and headed home. Once I had been home for a bit my mom asked for her cash and no matter how many places I looked it wasn't there. At that point the only explanation was that I had dropped it somewhere at the store so I raced back. It had been over an hour at that point and there the envelope was, right where I had left it beside the cash register at the pharmacy counter and still with almost $200 inside. INCREDIBLE!

Not me but a good friend, again in NYC. His sister had given him her well used car and somewhere along the line it had been stolen. Fast forward about six months and my friend is crossing a busy intersection and sees his car stopped for the light. He yelled "That's my car" and the driver casually got out and blended into the pedestrian traffic. The light had changed by then and cars were honking so my bewildered friend got in and drove home. HA!

Guy
"We're all bozos on the bus, so might as well sit back and enjoy the ride."

Wavy Gravy

Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to gsfish for this post:
DeWALT12 (07-09-2017), slynne (05-03-2017)
(05-03-2017, 12:27 PM)gsfish Wrote: Not me but a good friend, again in NYC. His sister had given him her well used car and somewhere along the line it had been stolen. Fast forward about six months and my friend is crossing a busy intersection and sees his car stopped for the light. He yelled "That's my car" and the driver casually got out and blended into the pedestrian traffic. The light had changed by then and cars were honking so my bewildered friend got in and drove home. HA!

Guy

Reminds me of a story my dad told me.  His motorcycle was stolen in 1978, driving my Mom to the hospital while she was in labor with me two years later he saw it parked in a driveway, said some mods he did made it unmistakable.  He started pulling over and my mom screamed at him to keep going so he called the police and went back after dropping my Mom off and it was gone!  Never to be seen again.  

He said he thinks the guy that stole it saw him pulling over in a rage pointing at it so he had time to get outta there. So yeap, I cost my Dad his bike!
I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Every Road Leads Home for this post:
Crow (05-07-2017), gsfish (05-03-2017)