Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Putt
But where does the milk crate go?!

Good choice on the step van. I went through a similar thought process as you. I've got the much maligned Detroit 6.5 to deal with instead of your Navistar. I have decided to make life easier by getting an enclosed trailer to haul bikes, spares, tools, gas, etc.

I'd put the gray water under the floor. There should be a good amount of room down there.
Add Thank You Reply
right on. I'd like to get a KLR. I work in a bike shop and a guy brought in a 1988 XL600r for a decent price....think I might pull the trigger on it. Ever owned one? Kick start only and apparently cant do a starter conversion on it. But it usually fires up first kick....would hate to be out in nowhere with an issue cause about 10 kicks and Id be done.

Im a yamaha guy too. started on them, road raced them, etc.
Add Thank You Reply
Nice build plans Putt. Love your schematics. What software do you use to create them?
I looked for a step van that was in decent shape, and I could afford for a while, but gave up and got a van and TT.
You're doing good with the usable space. Smile
Doing the Van thing since the early eighties.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Ballenxj for this post:
Putts (05-11-2017)
(05-11-2017, 11:38 AM)Bud Smiley Wrote: But where does the milk crate go?!

Good choice on the step van. I went through a similar thought process as you. I've got the much maligned Detroit 6.5 to deal with instead of your Navistar. I have decided to make life easier by getting an enclosed trailer to haul bikes, spares, tools, gas, etc.

I'd put the gray water under the floor. There should be a good amount of room down there.

Ha! That joke never gets old. Love me a milk crate!

Lurked and saw your step van roof rack thread. Do you have a pic of your rig somewhere?

I don't plan to actually use much water inside, and I don't like the idea of rocks hitting the tank underneath, nor fabbing up a protection plate, so I reckon inside is fine. Putting a 10 gallon tank right under the sink doesn't really take up too much space since the drain plumbing would have to be there anyway. Not worried about a trap since i'll just plug the sink when not in use. 

Thanks for saying "Hi!"
Add Thank You Reply
(05-11-2017, 01:03 PM)Ballenxj Wrote: Nice build plans Putt. Love your schematics. What software do you use to create them?

Solidworks....it's a great 3d CAD program, but it's pretty damned complicated to use. WOulda never bothered to learn if I didn't already know how...well, I'm just sort of sketching things with reasonably accurate dimensions.  If I didn't know how to use Solidworks, I'd have used SketchUp which is free for personal use and MUCH simpler than Solidworks.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Putts for this post:
Ballenxj (05-11-2017)
(05-11-2017, 01:31 PM)Putts Wrote: Solidworks....it's a great 3d CAD program, but it's pretty damned complicated to use. 
<-------->
  If I didn't know how to use Solidworks, I'd have used SketchUp which is free for personal use and MUCH simpler than Solidworks.
Not to mention CAD is a pretty expensive program on it's own. Are you a Draftsman?
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
Doing the Van thing since the early eighties.
Add Thank You Reply
Nah, entrepreneur in a little business that made electronics. I drew the enclosures and stuff in it. Jack of all trades, master of maybe one or two...that aren't very useful in this endeavor.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Putts for this post:
Ballenxj (05-11-2017)
Nothing like a man with a plan, good luck and best wishes!
Add Thank You Reply
The Start

Thing is, I had those drawings but for a 2' longer vehicle than Putt, so as soon as I got it, I knew what I was on about. I bought it in October 2015, and it's cold and getting colder that time of year, so it was mostly intensive planning and doing stuff that didn't need adhesives. 

Here's what she looked like in the driveway once home.

[Image: PuttOutside-L.jpg]

Rigged up some stairs.

[Image: 20151108_150758-L.jpg]

And went to work. My table rassa. (some hippy East Indian word for blank slate.)

[Image: 20150411_162605-L.jpg]

Basically, job one was removing and prepping the walls, and fabbing up the conduits to pull wires in the future.

[Image: 20151108_150815-L.jpg]

Found a stack of Chicago Tribune papers in one of the walls and a sweet little whisk broom.

Since I have the luxury, I'm not going to post this in time sequence. I'll put each part of the project in it's own set of posts. 

Where to start?  Huh
Add Thank You Reply
The walls and conduits are kinda complicated; I spent a lot of time thinking about how, exactly, I was going to do stuff. While I was doing that, I kept having to open and close the rear door and it was the one place on the vehicle that had a significant amount of rust.

[Image: 20151130_123023-L.jpg]

[Image: 20151130_122959-L.jpg]

[Image: 20151130_123029-L.jpg]

It was worst at the bottom of the door. When I got Putt, it had a lot of rock salt I had to sweep out of the back. Remember, it was used by a Culligan Man. I think the salt really corroded the back door. I've looked around underneath and things look pretty good; some rust, but not much. 

Anyhow, I decided, "Screw that door, I'm not going to lift that damned thing up and down for the next 15 years." So I bought a new one.

Out with the old...

[Image: 20151212_135202-L.jpg]

In with the new!

[Image: 20151214_130406-L.jpg]

Well, there was a lot of scrubbing with a wire brush and Ospho applications, but those are boring pics.
Add Thank You Reply