Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Putt
(05-11-2017, 09:22 PM)Putts Wrote: Okie dokie.  So, we have some good questions about false ceilings and venting. I came up with some crazy ideas...all it took was numerous beers and time sitting in a folding chair looking at the walls. But i got it done.

<-------->

That's the theory, anyway. 

Please feel free to tell me where I'm loosing touch with reality.

Extra points for telling me what "reality" actually is.
You sir, may be the Mad Scientist we have been waiting for. Evacuate heat from inside the walls via airflow? I like it! Smile
PS, reality is the thin line that keeps the twilight zone in check. Tongue
Doing the Van thing since the early eighties.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Ballenxj for this post:
Putts (05-12-2017)
(05-11-2017, 10:01 PM)bigsallysmom Wrote: Interesting.  Will you be painting the steel to prevent rust?  Where is your fresh air coming from?

No, it's already painted with something. I did coat the holes with Ospho before sealing up the walls.

Air will just come in the window. 

Thanks for stopping by!
Add Thank You Reply
I don't like that combiner box because of the screw pinch terminals. that type of terminal strip does not work well with stranded wire. I would get a water proof box similar to the one in your pic and put terminal strips in it like these, https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-...nal+strips . then put the proper terminals on the wires. you will still be able to use the waterproof inlets. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
Ballenxj (05-12-2017)
Ah...thanks HDR!

Onward....

Another big task readying the cabin for build was to install the wiring conduits....they had to be in behind the walls, so they had to be early in the process. I cogitated a good long while and figured out that there was a good spot for the runs at the top of the walls.

Here's a wooden dowel in the area where the run would go.

[Image: 20151123_183349-L.jpg]

There are so many things PVC is bad for when building something (it's to floppy and flexible usually) that it was fun to find a good use for it.
Turned out the biggest hassle was the pull ropes had to be in the PVC as it was constructed and I often wound up wound up in the string.

[Image: 20160217_174838-L.jpg]

Eventually, it all got tucked into place.

Right sidewall.

[Image: 20160122_153606-L.jpg]

And forward into the cab.

[Image: 20160131_125545-L.jpg]

And aft into the bed cabinet and shed.

[Image: 20160217_154334-L.jpg]

Left side.

[Image: 20160217_184240-L.jpg]

Close up at the top pf the wall.  Here you can see the walls to the rear are capped, and then once forward enough there are a series of holes that ventilate the walls into the ceiling for the heat removal. 

[Image: 20160224_150443-L.jpg]

Little bit of conduit to go from the kitchen cabinet to the bottom counter unit, and AC to the kitchen outlet. 
Not very code-ish. (Shhhhhh.)

[Image: 20160228_131323-L.jpg]

Same wall from the front once installed.

[Image: 20160228_143424-L.jpg]

All the pull ropes have big washers on them that don't fit through the pipe.  That way I don't accidentally pull a rope all the way through.

[Image: 20160217_154325-L.jpg]

So, both sides of Putt has runs that run the full length of the vehicle with outlets in the cab, cabin forward cabinets, bed cabinet, and rear shed.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Putts for this post:
Ballenxj (05-12-2017)
OH my goodness! I was away for a few minutes and you dang near broke the inner webs!
So cool! So much to read about your build!

Yeah, so the Stepvan guy on the tubes can be found at:
https://youtu.be/uqiHXmRvUS0

"Seven Wanders of the World" , I think.... Very interesting watching...
Found out this morning as I was getting his linkie for you that he has been vloging for quite some time now. We only found him on a random quest for something to watch...

Question for you, if I may? How the heck do you get to post 10 images in a single post, and big ones at that??? I seem to be limited to five, and they are small oin the thread, but you can click them and they show up big in another windows???

Oh, I have to say, far better to be a Putt than a Putz, yeah baby!!!
Thx, Dan'l
Big plans, Mini budget!!!
Check out my build here: Sophia's Hauler
And on Fakebook, look for us at: @Sophias.Hauler
Add Thank You Reply
(05-12-2017, 09:30 AM)galladanb Wrote: Yeah, so the Stepvan guy on the tubes can be found at:

Question for you, if I may? How the heck do you get to post 10 images in a single post, and big ones at that??? I seem to be limited to five, and they are small oin the thread, but you can click them and they show up big in another windows???

Thanks for the linky.

I have my photos hosted at Smugmug.com, and insert them inline here...not attachments. It's good for CRVL because it doesn't use up their drive space. I guess that makes it so I don't have a limit for how many pix in a post.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Putts for this post:
Ballenxj (05-12-2017), galladanb (05-12-2017)
Oh, righty righty! That had been mentioned to me once before? I guess I forgot...
I don't have a host like that anymore... I'll have to try to figure something out...
Can ya link them from Fakebook? That might work???

Anyway, momma says we gotta go get some groceries, so I gotta blast...
Cya back this afternoon!

Luv your build!
Thx, Dan'l
Big plans, Mini budget!!!
Check out my build here: Sophia's Hauler
And on Fakebook, look for us at: @Sophias.Hauler
Add Thank You Reply
(05-12-2017, 09:30 AM)galladanb Wrote: Yeah, so the Stepvan guy on the tubes can be found at:

"Seven Wanders of the World" , I think.... Very interesting watching...
Found out this morning as I was getting his linkie for you that he has been vloging for quite some time now. We only found him on a random quest for something to watch...

Who is also a member here I might add.
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...-Pros-Cons
Doing the Van thing since the early eighties.
Add Thank You Reply
(05-12-2017, 10:08 AM)galladanb Wrote: Can ya link them from Fakebook? That might work???

Luv your build!

Thanks, man.

I don't think linking from FB works.  I don't know this for a fact, but have heard a few times that Facebook will randomly change the URL of photos and attachments so that they won't get used as a photo host.
Add Thank You Reply
The big, big, big thing that got installed the first year is the window. 

Here's when it first showed up.

[Image: 20151230_132941-L.jpg]

Then it spent a few months in my living room as I rattle canned it.

[Image: 20160302_161726-L.jpg]

[Image: 20160310_072903-L.jpg]

Meanwhile, out in Putt I was figuring out exactly how the window was going to fit in...it was definitely a tricky job. A measure 10 times and cut once sort of job.

Here's the bare wall were the window would go.

[Image: 20160312_132607-L.jpg]

That center metal wall stud would have to get cut. 

The one just to the rear of it would have to change as well. For the window to be most secure it would have to be bolted through the skin and into the studs. But the studs are sort of S shaped. Here's the one I cut off for the window.

[Image: 20160410_171825-L.jpg]

Well, all the studs had the same orientation, and I needed that rear stud to be flipped the other way, and then moved a few inches in order to properly fit the window. Sorry, no pix of all that.

Then once I had clear out the place for it, I had to cut a 4' x 3' hole in the side of my precious Putt. Nerve wracking.

Almost done cutting.

[Image: 20160406_185423-L.jpg]

Yikes!

[Image: 20160407_142300-L.jpg]

[Image: 20160407_142116-L.jpg]

I brought the window out, put it up on sawhorses, then filled the mating surfaces with Dicor butyl tape.  Then a buddy helped me poke it in the hole.

[Image: 20160409_111942-L.jpg]

It fit perfectly! Woot!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Putts for this post:
dawnann7 (12-03-2017), Ballenxj (05-12-2017)