Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Putt
Here's the backside of the dinette table lamp.

[Image: IMG_2213-L.jpg]

Splicing them all together was a pain in the butt. (See what I did there?)

[Image: IMG_2207-L.jpg]

$1000 in the right crimping tools and connectors is probably the most high-reliability ways to go, but I've been soldering connections for a long time. It's what I know and am comfortable with. Old dogs and such. And cheap crimping tools and connectors is way less reliable.

[Image: IMG_2208-L.jpg]

12 gauge wire is way overkill but I'm not going to lose energy to voltage drop if I can help it.

All bundled up in heatshrink.

[Image: IMG_2210-L.jpg]

Seriously, 12 gauge wire is ridiculous, but, other than needing more solder and heat, the mechanics performed to make the splice is the same as if it was 16 gauge. I figure if I just get used to doing splices and connectors with this heavy gauge, down the road I'll actually be saving quite a bit of juice on the voltage drop of thinner wire overall. In a 12 Volt system, conductor resistance counts.

The cabin looks like an electronics repair station.

[Image: IMG_2212-XL.jpg]
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Putts for this post:
S Cello (Today), Wildtrapper (01-04-2018)
Seeing this reminded me that my Papa was always soldering on something.  I have no idea what he was making.  If I sat still and was quiet I could watch.  They still ran me off when they were welding.  I remember that Papa often applied for patents.

Sometime in the '50s he drilled a hole in the side of a TV and made a way to plug in what I think was a telephone operators headset and then I could hear the TV and no one else could.  Of course I had to sit still and be quiet.  

Just like sitting on the kitchen counter with my feet in the sink while holding the cord to trigger the fall of a box trap to catch wild quail.  Sit still and be quiet.  

Poor Papa.....looking back I'm surprised he didn't sit up in his casket and say " Yummy! Sit still and be quiet! "

I constantly read and study and try to absorb what I can from posts about anything mechanical or electrical.
  Although after mowing with a electric lawnmower in bare feet when the dew fell Huh  and the subsequent ambulance ride I'm very leary about the electrical stuff.

Jewellann
 It's too bad that closed minds often are not equipped with closed mouths
               That's All I Have To Say About That.........Forrest Gump 
                           I'm Not Here Dodgy  You Didn't See Me     
Add Thank You Reply
Youch! Sometimes it rubs off, sometimes it doesn't. My first toy was a small coffee percolator. I was about 3-4 years old, but I remember the "ah-ha!" moment when I figured out how it worked. Guess I was born a geek.
Add Thank You Reply
(01-01-2018, 09:03 PM)Putts Wrote: What kind of vehicle are you thinking about?

probably a smaller bus (25-30 seats) maybe a bigger 50 seat one if the smaller one feels too small...... we don't get "skoolies" down under but something along those lines.

that wiring looks great, very neat & tidy Smile
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to griffo1962 for this post:
Putts (01-04-2018)
Hello Putts, name is John, I'm living in Ohio and a relatively new member, so I just found your thread. I've read through the first page, 39 more, no 38 I also read this one, to go... That may take me a while, but it's winter and work on my camper is going kinda slow. I was Navy '67-72 ETN-2. I also ride a motorcycle, Vstar-950 Yamaha. Not something I'll be loading on a bumper rack. I may have to end up taking my wife's scooter just so I can do two-wheels. Oh, and I'm 71 and hope to be riding for another 10+ years, even if I end up on a little 250 duel sport or even a scooter. To me the day I have to give up 2-wheels, will be the end of my riding days, no plan for one with 3 wheels, time will tell on that.

I bought a 1989 E-350 camper, about a month or two ago, some might call a class-c, more like a B+ but it's got that Ford 460 engine with 86+K miles. The RV sat, not being used for a few years, due to the previous owner having cancer and not being able to use it. Needs quite a bit of work, so your build will probably be useful to me as I work out the issues. It does run but has idle issues, I have a good mechanic that will be doing major stuff for me, he has the tools etc. that I don't and has done that type of work.

Well, enough about that, if I decide to write more on what I'm doing, I should probably start my own thread, so for now, good luck with your build out and above all, "Ride safe"!
Add Thank You Reply
Thanks for your service, John. Yeah, a Vstar isn't a bumper friendly bike. I'd suggest you take a look at the Yamaha TW200...a GREAT geezer bike. Pretty sure it would extend your two-wheel adventures. Not sure how informative my thread will be for work on your rig, but I have been using highly recommended gear for the build.

Rubber side down, buddy!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Putts for this post:
Wildtrapper (01-04-2018)
Nice. Got some hours in over the holidays. Wiring stuff up to the switch/fuse panels isn't all that photogenic, but it's what I've got.

Six circuits are in. Take a look at that wiring harness. If I get up to the 24 circuit max, it's going to be as thick as my forearm.

[Image: IMG_2224-L.jpg]

I love the bed reading light.

[Image: IMG_2228-L.jpg]

If you touch and hold the control band it can vary the light intensity.

It's also got a nightlight mode.

[Image: IMG_2231-L.jpg]

The table lamp works the same.

[Image: IMG_2227-L.jpg]

Also installed the kitchen lights under the cabinet.

[Image: IMG_2225-L.jpg]
Add Thank You Reply
Wildtrapper (01-09-2018)
And a light for working on the electronics and checking the batteries.

[Image: IMG_2226-L.jpg]

Then it was on to the ceiling.

[Image: IMG_2221-L.jpg]

I can't fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood into Putt, so I had the folks at Home Depot do the major cuts.  The knuckleheads were 1/4 inch off on one cut, and about 2 degrees off on another. Ergh.

[Image: IMG_2220-L.jpg]

You can see the 1/4" gap up top.  Oh well, some trim and weatherstripping around the edges and it'll be air tight...which it needs to be for my wall/ceiling venting system to work.

All the ceiling panels up.

[Image: IMG_2223-L.jpg]

Went through six 8-foot lengths of aluminum channel.  Did a whole lot of this.

[Image: IMG_2222-L.jpg]

Next up is installing all the trim pieces on the ceiling and gluing them into place...on one side only. I have to remove them all for paint, insulation, and light installation. They also have to be removable for when I install my indirect LED lighting in the channels and future maintenance.

That's going to have to wait for a couple of weeks, I'm off to the consumer electronics show in Vegas on Wednesday....god I hate Vegas.

Feels good to have the ceiling up though, so I've got that going for me.
Add Thank You Reply
Wildtrapper (01-09-2018)
Ditto on Vegas here !
Make a small strip of wood to cover that crack !
You could also fill with bondo 2 coats (sand between and after 2nd) before paint if the panel isn't removable.

Lookin' better every post !
When (not if) I park next to you , better keep an eye on your keys ! Tongue
Stay Tuned
popeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC CRVL edition
12 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 4 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards! (What a "Stinkin' " honor !) + ROOIRIA

1981 Travelcraft Class C - 23'
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
S Cello (Today), Putts (01-08-2018)
(01-08-2018, 11:46 AM)rvpopeye Wrote: Make a small strip of wood to cover that crack !
You could also fill with bondo 2 coats (sand between and after 2nd) before paint if the panel isn't removable.

Oh yeah, there will be a trim strip to cover it, but no bondo because I'll have to make the ceiling panels removable for future modifications. There will be LED RGBW (red, green, blue, white) strips in the aluminum channels for indirect lighting. And I'll also eventually put speakers in the ceiling.

For the moment, however, they'll come down for painting, insulation, and ceiling lights before they go back up.

Quote:Lookin' better every post !
When (not if) I park next to you , better keep an eye on your keys ! Tongue

When, not if, you park next to me you can make yourself at home and we'll have some coffee and cookies and play some dominos on my dinette table.  I'll even let you sit in the good seat next to the window. (But I will hang on to my keys. Tongue)
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to Putts for this post:
S Cello (Today), Wildtrapper (01-09-2018), rvpopeye (01-08-2018)