Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else nervous about quitting a perfectly good job (by society's standards)
A little over ten years ago I quit a job that I had had for over twelve years. The pay and benefits were the best that I had ever had, most of the people were OK but the management was horrible. I finally got fed up and put a plan in motion to get out. Fortunately I was in a position to quit financially unlike most of my 'team mates' who took advantage of having a permanent job and were financed to the limit for the lifestyle that they 'deserved'.

The first morning after quitting was a little unsettling (we started work at 6:30) but every morning after that was Ahhhhhhhh. Particularly if it was 35F and raining (I worked in industrial maintenance and much of the work was out in the weather)!

As noted by others the biggest problem was health insurance before ACA. I'll be on Medicare before the year is out.

Guy
"We're all bozos on the bus, so might as well sit back and enjoy the ride."

Wavy Gravy

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to gsfish for this post:
Jahmai (05-13-2017)
Mayble - Your situation describes my situation to a tee.  My job can be very stressful at times, but can also be very calm and quiet at other times.  I'm not a police officer, but I've heard it said that it can be a rather boring job, punctuated with pure terror.  My job can be similar (plus, lots and lots of meetings).

Waldenbound - I totally agree.  It's the familairty and the feeling of security, which is very much a false security (just ask the people we've laid off over the years, the most recently a few months ago).

gsfish - Based on your response, sounds like you've had no regrets at all.  Did you end up traveling?  If so, what kind of vehicle?
Add Thank You Reply
Play weekend warrior before making a full-timer investment in vehicle and accessories.
But to invest $1,000's on a "oh this looks fun" adventure vehicle and quit your job seems silly.

-Baby Steps-
Vehicle can be most anything. Your travel can be camping in the garage/driveway. Or a local park. It will give you a small sense of the lifestyle and a good idea of what you need to be comfy in a vehicle.

Try a weekend, then a week. Use what you have. See if traveling and all that is van living is for you.

Keep your income rolling in.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to gargoyle for this post:
grimmal (05-12-2017)
Gargoyle - I've done the weekend and week thing for several years, including when I was a kid with my parents.  I've owned a Class C and have done week long trips in it, as well as a tent and sleeping in the car, travel trailer, and pop-up.  All were fun and never any insurmountable problems.  I'm thinking that I would like a Class B and could live in it for extensive periods of time.  Also, money is not that big of a deal if the sale of my house goes through.  I guess I'm more worried about those intangible things, such as guilt that I'm not working (my Dad retired at age 80 and I will never hear the end of it from him) and something inside questioning whether I did the right thing.  Also, the future of health insurance is a concern of mine.

Thanks everyone for your comments, it's helping me to put it all in perspective.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to FreeToBe for this post:
Jahmai (05-13-2017), gargoyle (05-12-2017)
I should add that the only part of camping of any kind that I've hated is having to come home and go back to work.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to FreeToBe for this post:
tsilb (05-18-2017), Snow Gypsy (05-13-2017)
If you happen to be a veteran there's alway VA healthcare.  It has drawbacks but there are no monthly premiums.  Depending on your income there may be copays.  You do not have to be retired military to get it.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to closeanuf for this post:
Snow Gypsy (05-13-2017)
(05-12-2017, 11:31 AM)FreeToBe Wrote: Also, the future of health insurance is a concern of mine.

If health care is that big a concern, I would think it will be settled, one way or another, within the next year.
Regards
John

Life is not about discovering yourself.  Life is about creating yourself!

Talk is cheap because of simple economics: The supply FAR exceeds the demand!
Add Thank You Reply
yeah. when people complain about the VA, I have to admit that I wish I had access to that health system. Had I known when I was young how health insurance works in this country and that I would, like many before me, experience “job lock” due to no good way other than being employed to get health insurance, I might have joined the military. I guess 18 year olds don’t think of such things. OTOH, I have a friend who is really super F'd up from being shot in Iraq so you know, there is that.

Job lock is a real thing though. If it isn't affordable to buy health insurance in the individual market, I will die if I lose my job because I can't afford to manage my chronic illness without health insurance.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to slynne for this post:
BigT (05-12-2017)
closeannuf - Unfortunately, I'm not a veteran.

Optimistic Paranoid - Yes, I agree.  And it might be worth waiting a year in order to see how health care goes, plan things out, do some test runs in a new rig, etc.
Add Thank You Reply
(05-12-2017, 02:13 PM)slynne Wrote: . . . OTOH, I have a friend who is really super F'd up from being shot in Iraq so you know, there is that.

Job lock is a real thing though . . .

Yeah, the being shot and shot at is a real downside, which gives me tremendous respect for our veterans.

I'm definitely feeling the effects of "Job Lock", but I wonder how much of it is real and how much of it is just in my mind.
Add Thank You Reply