Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else nervous about quitting a perfectly good job (by society's standards)
Big T, forgive me. Of course you are right. I guess I was just drawing on my own experiences living in both big cities and countryside as well.

You have a huge array of entertainment and things to do and I'm sure it's a lot more fun than my Friday night country entertainment of putting peanut butter gram crackers on the back porch at night to watch the possums chew like crazy...
YARC
Monkeyfoot
She Who Must Be Obeyed
The Nominator
Badge count 4
Add Thank You Reply
(05-14-2017, 03:26 PM)Cammalu Wrote: Big T, forgive me.  Of course you are right. I guess I was just drawing on my own experiences living in both big cities and countryside as well.  

You have a huge array of entertainment and things to do and I'm sure it's a lot more fun than my Friday night country entertainment of putting peanut butter gram crackers on the back porch at night to watch the possums chew like crazy...

That actually sound kind of fun.  Nothing wrong with country life and simple living.  
Sometimes (often) I yearn for it, but it ain't gonna happen until I'm retired and don't have to make a living.   Sad
Add Thank You Reply
Yum, peanut butter fed possum - that's good eating there Smile
Add Thank You Reply
If you move slowly you can pet them. If they start smiling that's when I quit..[Image: 6ab3c0eebffaf20f3ab89e3343ad6da0.jpg]

Yogurt can also be entertaining
YARC
Monkeyfoot
She Who Must Be Obeyed
The Nominator
Badge count 4
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Cammalu for this post:
slynne (05-14-2017)
That's one happy marsupial having a great day.
Add Thank You Reply
(05-11-2017, 10:15 PM)FreeToBe Wrote: Has anyone else here quit a job that was fine, but unfulfilling, to get out and live life?  I've had the house on the market and now it's gone to contract, so the possibility of it happening are becoming more real all the time.  I've had this all planned out, but suddenly starting to feel panicky that I'm throwing away a 30 year career that I might could work at for several more years (BTW, I'm 58).  But, when I say "career", it basically means sitting in a lot of meetings and listening to a lot of nonsense - there has to be more in life.  However, the closer being able to leave gets to possibly being a reality, the more apprehensive I'm getting.

I've read Bob's post on philosophy, which has really helped (I read and re-read his post entitled "Quotes to Inspire You").  But, I'm nervous that I'll chicken out and lose several more years of my life.  I have pins on Goggle Earth of all the places I want to visit before I die, but fear of letting go are becoming more intense than I expected.

DH and I were VERY nervous about quitting our jobs and taking off early. That's why we did not do it, and we are glad we did not do it. We now have good social security and a pension and adequate IRA's. We are guaranteed medical insurance and we have no debt. Bob did what Bob did, in part because of personal problems and mental issues. He admits it freely. Why are you taking his advice if you are not facing the same issues? (This is wrong, malicious slander. Bob)

Stick it out until you can collect social security and are on medicare, you are completely out of debt, your rig is paid for, and you have a healthy nest egg. It is not all roses out here on the road. Without proper preparation, it can get very rough, especially as you age or if you become ill without adequate resources. We have met too many people who took off impetuously only to be trapped by lack of resources in a life that did not suit them. (Have you ever watched RVDebs' videos on Youtube)
Add Thank You Reply
We'll be done in just over four months, at ages 57 & 58. We're retiring on miniscule pensions (I'm already done) and may not be able to afford healthcare, but we're tired of only being together on the weekends and a couple of hours in the evening. It's a little scary, but not as scary as sitting here doing things we hate and waiting to die.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to Queen for this post:
Nurseypoop (10-12-2017), BigT (06-05-2017), grimmal (05-15-2017)
gcal - All good comments and questions.  As I mentioned (or maybe eluded to) in a previous post in this thread, I've hit the "number" where I probably will never have to work again (unless I just want to) and at this point in time I'm "polishing the cannon ball", especially now that the house has sold.  I'm not as nervous about the financial side of things as for those "intangible" issues of retirement like feeling valuable, not being bored (although with all the stuff outside of work that I do, can't imagine being bored), keeping a social network, etc.  However, I am concerned about the future of health insurance and do want to keep health insurance.

Why now?  Well, there are a lot of things that I haven't mentioned and don't want to discuss on a forum that's leading me to want to make some changes in my life.  Aside from that, I've seen several family (including my mother) and friends die at relatively early ages.  Who knows how much time we each have left?  What good is having more money if my time runs out in another year or two;  there are no guarantees in life.

As far as Bob's advice goes, I believe that the first time he was thrust into living in a box van.  However, seems that later he was in a house in a comfortable life and missed the life on the road and chose to hit the road again in an affordable manner.  Don't get me wrong - I do believe that I'll be looking for a little more comfort (at the expense of a little less freedom) than Bob, but it will still be more freedom that I have now.

I have considered 1) Just keep working for several more years (but why?) and 2) Retiring and buying another house in a less expensive area that I'm in now (but there is so much I haven't seen in this country and I'll probably get bored after awhile), or 3) Hit the road, see all I want to see in an affordable, maneuverable, comfortable vehicle.  I'm torn between these three options, but leaning toward the third one.

This thread has helped me tremendously and I appreciate all the input.
Add Thank You Reply
Queen - Yes, I feel similar to you.  For me, I had a nice, big house, but spend all my time away from it, so didn't get to enjoy it at all, except for a few hours on the weekend (although I'm usually out most weekends).  When I did have time at home, there were always projects to work on.  For me personally, it would be really scary to go this route without health insurance of some kind.
Add Thank You Reply
(05-15-2017, 09:33 AM)FreeToBe Wrote: Queen - Yes, I feel similar to you.  For me, I had a nice, big house, but spend all my time away from it, so didn't get to enjoy it at all, except for a few hours on the weekend (although I'm usually out most weekends).  When I did have time at home, there were always projects to work on.  For me personally, it would be really scary to go this route without health insurance of some kind.

We will buy state retiree insurance, but it is only in Illinois and is expensive, so living in FL or being on the road makes it less than ideal.  If ACA survives, we'll go that route until we're 65.
Add Thank You Reply