Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else nervous about quitting a perfectly good job (by society's standards)
I. Can't. Wait. to give up my day job.
Add Thank You Reply
(08-12-2017, 04:32 PM)Putts Wrote: I. Can't. Wait. to give up my day job.

You know what I miss? (well besides the paycheck)

I miss the people I worked with. I miss that daily interaction...

Sad
---Brian

Texas Panhandle

Add Thank You Reply
I have just done this!!!!! I am 41 years old and I just up and quit... I think you should proceed with your plan. I am starting my Stepvan build next week to travel the country!! Can't wait to get going! Check it out on YouTube. Full Stepvan build coverage coming soon. It will be an awesome adventure. I hope you do follows through with it!!
https://youtu.be/Ilod6w3Uhyw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to pbarger76 for this post:
Cammalu (08-13-2017)
(08-12-2017, 04:42 PM)tx2sturgis Wrote: You know what I miss? (well besides the paycheck)

I miss the people I worked with. I miss that daily interaction...

Sad

I missed that for a while, now I'm happier being away from people than ever before in my life.  I was wondering if retirement/quitting work allows you to become who you were supposed to be all along; all the false rules and requirements we've dealt with since we were tiny little kids fall away and we have to figure out who we are.  For me, I'm not really the extrovert I thought I was, it was situational.  I still need some social interaction, but a little computer time and very occasional face to face time takes care of that.

Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Queen for this post:
mayble (08-14-2017), slow2day (08-13-2017)
I work from home, alone, with co-workers in NY and Cal. I'm getting in the van to go out and meet people.
Add Thank You Reply
(05-18-2017, 11:01 AM)waldenbound Wrote: You know, there really is no job secure enough, relationship secure enough, health plan secure enough, economy secure enough, retirement secure enough. I bet people in September of 1929 thought they were secure. People in early 2008 probably thought they were secure too. One  big event, and everything can change. The Buddha taught that everything is impermanent, nothing stays the same, everything will change. To think everything will be secure will just set you up for disappointment.

I love this post.
Christine, http://www.RoadTripsAndCampfires.com
Currently:  1989 Class B Dodge 350 Hightop
Currently:  Silverado 2500 HD 4x4
Near future:  Trailer of some sort behind the truck
Add Thank You Reply
(05-18-2017, 11:01 AM)waldenbound Wrote: You know, there really is no job secure enough, relationship secure enough, health plan secure enough, economy secure enough, retirement secure enough. I bet people in September of 1929 thought they were secure. People in early 2008 probably thought they were secure too. One  big event, and everything can change. The Buddha taught that everything is impermanent, nothing stays the same, everything will change. To think everything will be secure will just set you up for disappointment.

So true. At my job, people who put in 30+ years are being pushed to retire or deal with their bidded jobs being altered. Even after 36 years they are changing their jobs. Noone is safe.
Add Thank You Reply
(08-12-2017, 11:14 AM)vanman2300 Wrote: If it turns out to be cancer or worse I'll commit a minor federal crime plead guilty and get healthcare from the system. If it's terminal I'll make an exit bag and off myself rather then suffer.

There are a couple of states that have right to die policies with some kind of length of time you need to be a resident to "participate."
Christine, http://www.RoadTripsAndCampfires.com
Currently:  1989 Class B Dodge 350 Hightop
Currently:  Silverado 2500 HD 4x4
Near future:  Trailer of some sort behind the truck
Add Thank You Reply
(08-13-2017, 06:02 AM)Queen Wrote: I was wondering if retirement/quitting work allows you to become who you were supposed to be all along; all the false rules and requirements we've dealt with since we were tiny little kids fall away and we have to figure out who we are.

Just think of the sweet little child, so excited for her first day of school.  For the next 70 years someone will tell her what time to get up in the morning, what to wear, where to go & what to do when she gets there, and when she can go home.
Poor kid has no clue.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to mayble for this post:
Murphie (08-14-2017), Queen (08-14-2017)