Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food Stamp & Social Security Info for anyone who is interested
(12-10-2017, 09:20 AM)hausmutti Wrote: What if you have money set aside for like your funeral?  Leave it in care of a trusted son?

As I mentioned in a previous post, most states have dropped assets test for snap (food stamps) eligibility.  So, eligibility is based solely on income and you can have any amount of assets (real estate, vehicles, bank accounts, stocks, cash, etc.) and still qualify.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-10-2017, 08:11 PM)ZacLee Wrote: As I mentioned in a previous post, most states have dropped assets test for snap (food stamps) eligibility.  So, eligibility is based solely on income and you can have any amount of assets (real estate, vehicles, bank accounts, stocks, cash, etc.) and still qualify.

Boy I could really scam the system.  I have a good sized retirement nest egg making me what a lot of folks would consider as rich.  But my adjusted gross income is zero because I am currently living on post tax savings outside of my retirement accounts.  If the states only consider income, then I would be eligible for snap even though I have wealth.  What a system....
Add Thank You Reply
(05-22-2017, 02:13 PM)AmieW Wrote: NOTE: For those of you who think people like me are "gaming the system," live a year in my body and you'll know I'm not. I have lupus, and am in pain most of the time and have brain fog so badly some days I cannot even concentrate enough to do anything but watch videos on t.v., not even read. For anyone in my situation, this is valuable information. 

Hi AmieW, sorry to hear this. I have some questions if you don't mind? I have heard of lupus, but don't know anything about it. I did a web search on it once with very little success. 
What exactly does it do to you?
What are the symptoms?
How is it contracted? 
Can it be contracted by both male and female? 
Is there a cure for it? 
Anything else we should know about it?

Anyway, thanks for posting this useful information. Take care.
Doing the Van thing since the early eighties.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-11-2017, 09:52 AM)mpruet Wrote: Boy I could really scam the system.  I have a good sized retirement nest egg making me what a lot of folks would consider as rich.  But my adjusted gross income is zero because I am currently living on post tax savings outside of my retirement accounts.  If the states only consider income, then I would be eligible for snap even though I have wealth.  What a system....

It's not a scam.  Those are the current rules.  It's up to your conscience.  If I had millions in retirement accounts, I wouldn't apply for government benefits except perhaps health insurance though.  What do you do for health insurance? Obamacare only pays the subsidy if you have at least about 17K/year in gross income. Below that means you're not eligible for obamacare and may qualify for medicaid which has more asset tests.

Keep in mind that a 401K/IRA distribution is probably considered income though.  I'm not sure how they handle capital gains from sales of stocks or other securities in a retirement account. 

Also, if you're under 50, most states have work requirements to collect snap (food stamps) though I don't think they're that strictly enforced. 

http://www.justharvest.org/get-help/snap...ents-faqs/
Add Thank You Reply
(12-11-2017, 07:18 PM)ZacLee Wrote: It's not a scam.  Those are the current rules.  It's up to your conscience.  If I had millions in retirement accounts, I wouldn't apply for government benefits except perhaps health insurance though.  What do you do for health insurance?  Obamacare only pays the subsidy if you have at least about 17K/year in gross income.  Below that means you're not eligible for obamacare and may qualify for medicaid which has more asset tests.  

Keep in mind that a 401K/IRA distribution is probably considered income though.  I'm not sure how they handle capital gains from sales of stocks or other securities in a retirement account. 

Also, if you're under 50, most states have work requirements to collect snap (food stamps) though I don't think they're that strictly enforced. 

http://www.justharvest.org/get-help/snap...ents-faqs/

I never said that I scammed the system.  I just a bit surprised that most states do not consider wealth when deciding who qualifies for snap.  I know that for medicaid in Texas that wealth is considered because that was an issue when a relative needed to go into a nursing home. 

I consider it poor management that wealth is not a consideration for the snap program because that are plenty of ways to have a huge wealth and low income.  You could have a sizable amount of money in cash for instance.  Or you could have large investments in non-taxable accounts such as munis or ROTHs.  

Yes - 401K and IRA distributions are considered as income and are reported on a 1099-R form to the government.
Add Thank You Reply
(12-11-2017, 08:51 PM)mpruet Wrote: I never said that I scammed the system.  I just a bit surprised that most states do not consider wealth when deciding who qualifies for snap.  I know that for medicaid in Texas that wealth is considered because that was an issue when a relative needed to go into a nursing home. 

I consider it poor management that wealth is not a consideration for the snap program because that are plenty of ways to have a huge wealth and low income.  You could have a sizable amount of money in cash for instance.  Or you could have large investments in non-taxable accounts such as munis or ROTHs.  

Yes - 401K and IRA distributions are considered as income and are reported on a 1099-R form to the government.

I never suggested that you scammed the system, only that collecting snap benefits even if you have substantial assets are in accordance with the rules.

The asset tests are only waived for the snap (food stamp) program in most states.  They still apply for medicaid and other means tested programs like TANF.

But, snap considers income, taxable or not-taxable.  They just don't consider assets.  

Keep in mind snap only covers food and provides benefits of just under $200 per month per person.  Various states tested the program with and without asset tests and found the asset tests were counterproductive.  

http://www.governing.com/topics/health-h...tamps.html

Some states are imposing additional restrictions though:

https://www.cbpp.org/research/food-assis...ers-expire
Add Thank You Reply
AmieW, you stated you can own land and on SSI? Does the the land have to have a house? Can you put a trailer and be self sustained? I have a been living in a dreadful part of Colorado and my mental health has been deteriorating quickly and been reading one can own a vehicle, land, and no more than 2k in their bank account. I'm on SSI disability and my relative whom I'm renting from has told me she is willing to sign over this house deed to me with the promise to put her nam on my will for the house, if I can buy it and put i under my name. She lives in Mexico, she paid 25 thousand for this house, I'm the power of attorney, I moved in here thinking it be a nice place to live but its horrible and I hate it. I told her to sell it and she's so tired of dealing with this that she bought another condo in Tijuana and said she made a mistake of buying this house and so far, mostly to help me. I told her that I read she had to have an ITIN number if she wanted to sell the house and open a bank account in San Diego when she bought the house 3yrs ago and me being here and she's retired, health problems, and tells me she's tired of this investment and if I'm willing to take over and what I'm reading is right, me able to own a house to my name an the sell it to buy another house closer to civilization she's be happy to sign it over to me and then I can do whatever I want. Am I hearing all this correct then? And does the land have to have a house? I have no clue where in the world I'll get a house for 25K close to a big town so I've been looking at land, even in Hawaii's Big Island... acres for 4,8,10,15 thousand even! If I can buy land to my name I can grow my own food and live very content. I was told though I had to spend it in 30 days or else they take my SSI until I spend it all and/invest it within those 30 days. Please correct me and I'm so happy to have been reading these posts. Oh, I read someone here saying "his" years of paying taxes was going freeloaders on foodstamps or SSI. Well, I'm not a freeloader, I worked up until I got HIV 20yrs ago and became and still am very-very depressed of which its turned into a horrible life for 24yrs. My doctor put me on disability under 3 medical conditions. You have no idea how many times I've thought of suicide because this HIV sickness (controlled or not) has ruined my life 100%.
Add Thank You Reply
4x4gamer, Social Security is quite strict on that, they nailed me once for a $1000 overpayment and I'm paying $25 a month, $200 left. This was an error THEY messed up because they never change my address and claimed they never got it from me despite showing proof of the new address, they kept sending letters to the old address! The overpayment was for my medical premiums, they claimed I was in California and Colorado at the same time! Go figure that one! They did not take my income away but they did cut my income in 1/2 for 2 months after they decided to help themselves to part of the overpayment and then had to negotiate a payment plan. So yeah... watch those letters you get and don't ignore them. Another thing to do is go online and check your payment. I check it every month on or before the 15th because if you dispute it after the 15th you can't do much because that's when the print them out ance once they are printed thats it, until next month. If you can catch an error before the 15th you can dispute it, it's called My Social Security on the Social Security website.
Add Thank You Reply
Hey Amiew thanks!

Well, I just checked. I'm now at $808 est for when I retire at 62. Still got 4 years to bump it up. Last time I checked it was $759 a month and this was back in 2016. Really want to get out, work and slam the debt (Now at $12,500+) and with the van living and a nifty trick I am using I hope to hit the bills with $1K or more per month.
"Today, most of the good people are afraid to be good. They strive to be broadminded and tolerant. It is fashionable to be tolerant but mostly tolerant of evil and this new code has reached the proportions of demanding intolerance of good."
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Social Security Disability Question vanman2300 7 1,111 12-24-2017, 04:32 PM
Last Post: NomadicMario
  Social Security COLA rant :( Weight 19 1,124 12-24-2017, 07:29 AM
Last Post: mpruet
  Social Security Benefit Calculation BadSaver 27 2,761 11-10-2016, 01:16 PM
Last Post: Wanderer