Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric Bikes
So it turns out that electric bikes are actually illegal in NY.  They fall into a "gray area" where NY can't decide if they are bicycles or motor vehicles.  Police in NYC have actually been confiscating them.  The NY legislature is now attempting to sort it all out.  Article in the New York Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/advo...-1.3202817
Regards
John

Life is not about discovering yourself.  Life is about creating yourself!

Talk is cheap because of simple economics: The supply FAR exceeds the demand!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Optimistic Paranoid for this post:
ArtW (05-29-2017), Ballenxj (05-29-2017)
(05-29-2017, 08:06 AM)Optimistic Paranoid Wrote: So it turns out that electric bikes are actually illegal in NY.  They fall into a "gray area" where NY can't decide if they are bicycles or motor vehicles.  Police in NYC have actually been confiscating them.  The NY legislature is now attempting to sort it all out.  Article in the New York Daily News:

Confiscating anything just because you don't understand it? Now "that" is what I would consider illegal and acting a Bully.
Doing the Van thing since the early eighties.
Add Thank You Reply
They haven't figured out how to make you pay for it is what it boils down to. bicycles don't have VIN's yet....

THATS HOW ROADS ARE PAYED FOR SNOWFLAKES
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to bardo for this post:
XFILE36 (05-31-2017)
What's next? No dancing?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_C...ncing)_Law

Guy
"We're all bozos on the bus, so might as well sit back and enjoy the ride."

Wavy Gravy

Add Thank You Reply
And while they're a cool gizmo and in-demand... they're sure as H*ll not "green." Those batteries all have to end up somewhere... and you can bet that's not a recycling plant.

Why can't folks just get the right gearing and reap the health benefits of cycling is beyond me.
1995 Coachmen B19 rear dinette, E250 chassis, 351W & E4OD trans
2006 Born Free 32RQ on a Kodiak chassis, 8.1L V8 & Allison 5spd trans
2016 Jeep JKU 6spd stick
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to hepcat for this post:
Ballenxj (05-29-2017)
(05-29-2017, 10:01 AM)hepcat Wrote: Why can't folks just get the right gearing and reap the health benefits of cycling is beyond me.
Now this is the true Green answer, not to mention all the Doctor & hospital bills you'll save on later.
To stay on topic, I still don't think they have the right to confiscate private property.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Ballenxj for this post:
hepcat (05-29-2017)
(05-29-2017, 09:13 AM)bardo Wrote: They haven't figured out how to make you pay for it is what it boils down to. bicycles don't have VIN's yet....

THATS HOW ROADS ARE PAYED FOR SNOWFLAKES

Then why the toll roads? since they already charge 'road and bridge' tax on your registration?
Add Thank You Reply
The problem, of course, isn't the electric bike itself or ANY bike for that matter... it's short-sighted infrastructure planning that has been designed as an auto-only oriented transportation system.  Everything else, including mass transit, pedestrian traffic, and human-powered vehicles of all types are left to their own for figuring out how to navigate the infrastructure.  And since they're individuals without guidance, they just do what they think is most expedient.  And that disrupts all of the other traffic... so they're a 'problem.'   If cities planned according to the "Complete Streets" guidelines, eventually those issues would just go away.  

Large urban areas need to figure out how to become less car-centric.
1995 Coachmen B19 rear dinette, E250 chassis, 351W & E4OD trans
2006 Born Free 32RQ on a Kodiak chassis, 8.1L V8 & Allison 5spd trans
2016 Jeep JKU 6spd stick
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to hepcat for this post:
slynne (05-30-2017), Jahmai (05-30-2017)
(05-29-2017, 10:01 AM)hepcat Wrote: And while they're a cool gizmo and in-demand... they're sure as H*ll not "green."  Those batteries all have to end up somewhere... and you can bet that's not a recycling plant.  

Why can't folks just get the right gearing and reap the health benefits of cycling is beyond me.

Because not everyone has the physical capability.  I managed to make my current bike work only by finding an adaptive device, there are lots of people who cannot ride a bike for a variety of reasons, for me it's a knee replacement with poor results.  When I can't ride mine any longer I'll definitely be looking at an electric bike... just wish I could get a solar one.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 4 users say Thank You to Queen for this post:
Raine (06-09-2017), slynne (05-30-2017), mayble (05-30-2017), hepcat (05-30-2017)
I think it mostly boils down to money.
Car = Sales Tax, Licensing, & fines when they can justify them. Fuel consumption = fuel tax.
Motorcycles? See above. 
Bicycles? Not enough to worry about, and it would be too obvious demanding money from bike riders.
Electric cycles??? What the heck do we do about them??? They might actually catch on.
Let's not forget about the insurance lobby? They want your money too. Dodgy
Add Thank You Reply