Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric Bikes
(05-31-2017, 03:58 PM)StarEcho Wrote: What you said was that you couldn't understand why anyone would ride an electric bicycle because you could ride a bike without any electric help and if you can so can anyone else, if only they are determined enough!  

Cindi, that's not what I said at all.   Please go back and read my original posts.  What I DID say was that almost anyone who is determined enough to ride a bike to improve their health can do it, with the proper and necessary modifications to the bike for their situation.  Just because an off-the-shelf bike build doesn't work, doesn't mean you can't ride.  It just means you need to have your bike adapted for your needs.  There IS room for e-bikes in the world, but they're not optimal for their riders in most cases, nor are they "green."   My own story was just to illustrate what I was able to do.  I've known many others in much more dire circumstances than mine who ride not only for recreation, but for the health benefits involved.

The problem is that many folks don't understand that bikes can be configured and/or made to be adaptable to almost any set of circumstances that one finds oneself in...  and those modifications include proper gearing, brake modifications, seating modifications... and with those modifications. a bike/trike can be ridden by just about anyone who wants to reap the health benefits of riding.  And riding a non-e-bike, when modified, will give you a much better workout.

I understand that you're fine with where you're at...  and that's fine... but there are LOTS of options out there for folks who want to ride, even if they're limited by their health, that don't involve using batteries for power. 

AND what I said was that once manufactured, a standard bike uses almost no other energy during it's lifetime, and at the end of it's useful life, most bikes are almost 100% recyclable.  End-of-life disposal of ALL things electrical and electronic including CFL light bulbs, circuit boards,  and tons and tons of toxic batteries is already becoming the next great crisis in the world.
1995 Coachmen B19 rear dinette, E250 chassis, 351W & E4OD trans
2006 Born Free 32RQ on a Kodiak chassis, 8.1L V8 & Allison 5spd trans
2016 Jeep JKU 6spd stick
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to hepcat for this post:
Ballenxj (05-31-2017)
(05-31-2017, 06:38 PM)hepcat Wrote: Bob, I'm not challenging your perspective, and frankly I agree with it; but I'd like to ask on this topic, is this an invitation to discussion, or is your post intended as a warning to shut down my participation in a good, enlightening discussion on the topic.   

This has zero to do with your opinions but is solely about how you are expressing them.

When we talk in person we give a lot of clues of our intentions by our expressions, tone and movement. But when you write something out, all of that is gone. That leaves people guessing at much of our meaning and intent. So the important thing becomes that we stop and ask ourselves, "How are other people going to take what I've just written?" 

If you'll go back and watch how people are responding to you--you can see that to them you come across as judgemental. I'm totally ready to believe that you are not actually that way but that's how people are taking it.

Now, you can get angry and write back and say we are all crazy and we're wrong and you are an angel and you can't be around people as stupid as we are. I've been told that a 1000 times by people storming out of the forum. Or, you can reach down and say to yourself, "Is there something I can learn about myself here? I do think they are being too sensitive and exaggerating, but is there any truth to what they are saying?" 

Honest self-examination is the number one key to a better life.  Every good thing in my life has come from it. Every bad thing is because of a lack of it.
2015 GMC Savannah 2500 van, 480 watts of Solar Panels--and a wonderful furry best friend named Cody. I'm out to change the world!
Add Thank You Reply
(05-31-2017, 08:56 PM)akrvbob Wrote: This has zero to do with your opinions but is solely about how you are expressing them.

"How are other people going to take what I've just written?" 

If you'll go back and watch how people are responding to you--you can see that to them you come across as judgemental.

Now, you can get angry and write back and say we are all crazy and we're wrong and you are an angel and you can't be around people as stupid as we are. 

Bob,  Seriously?

I don't believe in New Age philosophy, and I don't believe everyone should get a trophy just for showing up. I'm not responsible for how others feel about what I write.  If they respond strongly, its likely that they identify with what I've written in some way.  But it is THEY who are responsible for their own feelings, just as I'm responsible for mine and you for yours.

I'm not going away angry as this website and it's focus just isn't important enough in my world to spend energy being angry about, but I AM going away. This is your sandbox and I respect that.  You're certainly not stupid, nor crazy.  Nor am I an angel, but frankly at my age your pompous lecturing is tedious.  I've seen enough already,  and I don't have a need to stick around for any more of it.  

I'm sure this post won't last the night in the "Happiest Place on Earth" environment you're trying to create either... so be it, but at least you know where I stand.

So how does that make you feel? 

Peace.
1995 Coachmen B19 rear dinette, E250 chassis, 351W & E4OD trans
2006 Born Free 32RQ on a Kodiak chassis, 8.1L V8 & Allison 5spd trans
2016 Jeep JKU 6spd stick
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to hepcat for this post:
Gary68 (06-11-2017), Ballenxj (06-02-2017)
Jeeze I didn't see any ugliness in Hepcat's post, I guess it's that 11th commandment at work
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to ArtW for this post:
Gary68 (06-08-2017), Ballenxj (06-02-2017)
I just love testosterone but the head butting around here lately is sad. We all lose.

[Image: f1fbfc8149ed9aef6038bbc4f90a57e5.gif]
YARC
Monkeyfoot
She Who Must Be Obeyed
The Nominator
Badge count 4
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Cammalu for this post:
CautionToTheWind (06-12-2017), Gary68 (06-07-2017)
Sheese!  I just wanted people to be aware that they might run into some legality problems if they traveled around widely with an electric bike.
Regards
John

Life is not about discovering yourself.  Life is about creating yourself!

Talk is cheap because of simple economics: The supply FAR exceeds the demand!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Optimistic Paranoid for this post:
mayble (06-01-2017)
(06-01-2017, 04:21 AM)Optimistic Paranoid Wrote: Sheese!  I just wanted people to be aware that they might run into some legality problems if they traveled around widely with an electric bike.
Well now you went and did it. I take it we can safely blame this kerfuffle on you? Tongue
Doing the Van thing since the early eighties.
Add Thank You Reply
(06-04-2017, 01:24 PM)Ballenxj Wrote: Well now you went and did it. I take it we can safely blame this kerfuffle on you? Tongue

That's what you get for allowing an anarchist troublemaker to hang out here.
Regards
John

Life is not about discovering yourself.  Life is about creating yourself!

Talk is cheap because of simple economics: The supply FAR exceeds the demand!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Optimistic Paranoid for this post:
Ballenxj (06-07-2017)
ha,i missed this shit fest

so someone had an opinion and then someone else got offended because they are the exception then bob comes in and wants people to type nice???

makes me wonder what got deleted in the guise of nice

definitely Optimistic Paranoid's fault
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Gary68 for this post:
Ballenxj (06-07-2017)
there is actually a federal law on ebikes that defines them, id imagine in the absense of a state law defining them it would default to the federal. if i recall it was 750watts or under motor and travels under a certain speed it counts as a bicycle.

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk
Add Thank You Reply