Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric Bikes
(sigh) Why does EVERY possible topic here always turn into a big goddamn debate about political ideology and philosophy .......?

Nobody gives a shit.

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply
(06-08-2017, 06:16 PM)lenny flank Wrote: (sigh) Why does EVERY possible topic here always turn into a big goddamn debate about political ideology and philosophy .......?

Nobody gives a shit.

I do.  Political philosophy is extremely important to me and everyone who disagrees with me is an idiot AND a danger to the Republic!

But I keep it to myself.
Regards
John

Life is not about discovering yourself.  Life is about creating yourself!

Talk is cheap because of simple economics: The supply FAR exceeds the demand!
Add Thank You Reply
(06-07-2017, 09:35 PM)Gary68 Wrote: definitely Optimistic Paranoid's fault

Yup!  "It's people like me wot cause unrest!"
Regards
John

Life is not about discovering yourself.  Life is about creating yourself!

Talk is cheap because of simple economics: The supply FAR exceeds the demand!
Add Thank You Reply
Just to get back on o the topic for a minute.....

Yes, I want an electric bike.   I will not tow a toad.   But, driving the whole rig to get groceries is something I also don't want to do.  

I haven't dug too deep into this yet, but I want to see if I can recharge one with my solar set up.   Anyone done research on this?
"I never saw a sight that didn't look better looking back"

Kat, Smidge the cat, and Honey

1988 Honeywell.  E350 chassis   21'
Add Thank You Reply
(06-08-2017, 07:21 PM)Optimistic Paranoid Wrote: I do.  Political philosophy is extremely important to me and everyone who disagrees with me is an idiot AND a danger to the Republic!

But I keep it to myself.

Reminds me of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Sadly, though, evangelists and preachers NEVER keep their opinions to themselves--they inflict them upon everyone in earshot at every available opportunity, whether people want to hear it or not.

Nobody gives a shit.

Add Thank You Reply
Any more posts not on the topic of electric bikes will be deleted.

I've had an electric bike and it is easily charged by solar, depending of course, on how powerful the bike is and how large your solar system is. But within reason, it shouldn't be a problem.
2015 GMC Savannah 2500 van, 480 watts of Solar Panels--and a wonderful furry best friend named Cody. I'm out to change the world!
Add Thank You Reply
Never had an electric bike, but it would seem to me that one would be able to hook up a generator to one of the wheels that woukld charge your battery as you rode along....... Of course in the end entropy always wins, so you'd still have to recharge every so often, but it would seem a good way to stretch the range. Are there any such things?

Add Thank You Reply
(06-10-2017, 07:33 AM)lenny flank Wrote: Never had an electric bike, but it would seem to me that one would be able to hook up a generator to one of the wheels that woukld charge your battery as you rode along.......  Of course in the end entropy always wins, so you'd still have to recharge every so often, but it would seem a good way to stretch the range. Are there any such things?

What your talking about is a type of 'perpetual motion' machine and it just wont work...too may losses due to friction and heat.

There is 'regenerative braking' which can recover some of the kinetic energy....its used on practically all modern electric vehicles, but I dont know if its available on e-bikes....
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
Yes, in the end, entropy always wins. But it would seem to be a good way to stretch the range in between charges, so I'm curious if any e-bikes use such a system.

Add Thank You Reply
My guess is that the losses would be greater than the gains.  Not much momentum in a bike.  If you used the motor as a brake/generator you would be able to recoup a little energy.  Someone has probably tried it; be interesting to know the results.

Very crude estimate: Average cyclist generates about 75 watts.  Downhill and stoping half the time = ~ 37.5 watts maximum possible to recoup (no losses), need 14 volts to charge 12 V battery = 30÷14 = 2.7 amps.  So for every hour of cycling one could harvest a max of 2.7 amp hours.

-- Spiff
Add Thank You Reply