Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
simple/solo boondocking: Promaster 159 high roof
I was following a ProMaster the other day and the rear axle looked really low. Fine for most paved roads, but I would wonder about clearance issues on many unpaved ones -- especially those with deep ruts and a hump or large rocks in the middle.
Someone wanted me to put this here: http://rollingsteeltent.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply
(06-05-2017, 05:04 PM)John61CT Wrote: Leave that switch closed and you may flatten your starter.

Alt (and all other charge sources) direct to House, then ACR or Echo Charger to Starter would be better.

It'd be more of an emergency connection, given that I am stuffing the roof with panels.  This size PM can fit 3 big panels (at least 800w).
frater/jason @ Quartzsite
blog | Promaster van | offtopic answers
"I would unite with anybody to do right; and with nobody to do wrong" F. Douglass
Add Thank You Reply
The type of charge source not the issue.

But if literally just for self-jumping, I agree less likely to forget to isolate after.

But in that case a momentary switch "push to combine" then re-isolates when you let go would be better.

Best of all a 1/2 switch (no Both option) allowing you to load-switch cranking starter between banks.

Prevent doubling your problem in the event of an unseen but catastrophic internal failure being the cause.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to John61CT for this post:
frater secessus (06-06-2017)
I'm curious to hear about your VanTred. I have a BedRug in my truck that is really nice and have thought if I go with a van later I'd enjoy something similar as a floor.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Queen for this post:
AbuelaLoca (06-07-2017)
(06-05-2017, 05:31 PM)MrNoodly Wrote: I was following a ProMaster the other day and the rear axle looked really low. Fine for most paved roads, but I would wonder about clearance issues on many unpaved ones -- especially those with deep ruts and a hump or large rocks in the middle.

We make choices based on our intended uses.  Those choices might not be right for others and their intended uses.

For example, I was following a Chevy Express the other day and the roofline looked really low.  So I checked it;  52.90" of cargo height.  Fine for most short outings, but I would wonder about the practicality of living in there -- especially fulltime.  But folks do live in standard roof vans, and do it happily.  They plan ahead and make adjustments to fit the limitations of whatever platform they choose.  

Here are some numbers on the ground clearance of cargo vans.

Code:
E-250 7.4"
Express 2500 7.1"
Promaster 2500 6.9“
Sprinter 6.9”
Transit 6.0“

I don't plan on 'wheeling the PM;  I got that out of my system with a CJ-5.  Apropos your example, here are some chunks of concrete I threw in my driveway to fill a hole.  Haven't sledgehammered them into bits yet but the PM straddles them nicely.

[Image: th_IMG_20170602_170244_zpsm5q9460f.jpg]
"I would unite with anybody to do right; and with nobody to do wrong" F. Douglass
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to frater secessus for this post:
bruc33ef (08-30-2017)
(06-06-2017, 07:18 AM)Queen Wrote: I'm curious to hear about your VanTred.

I unrolled it today and really like it;  would totally buy it again.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to frater secessus for this post:
CraigL (06-08-2017)
Ugghhh, hit Post instead of Preview.   Here's the rest...

[Image: th_IMG_20170606_195422_zps5mjvkazu.jpg]

This is the 1/2", noncarpeted version (VanTred).  The other option was 1 1/2" carpeted VanRug;  I think I made the right choice.  The polypropylene foam substrate feels industrial grade tough.  I can't feel any give when wearing shoes but barefoot or on my knees I can feel the padding effect.  I can't tell where the floor ribs are through the pad.  The textured top feels like a solid layer of the foam material but I don't know for sure.  The texture feels like touching sidewalk concrete.  The pad is scored for access to the floor D-rings.

The fit is accurate.  There was one less-than-clean edge which I will trim with scissors.  Like someone only cut 95% through the material.

[Image: th_IMG_20170606_195700_zpslgesv3zj.jpg]

Advice on the install:  the material is quite stiff and reviewers said to do it on a warm day.  

If I were unrolling it again I would have unrolled it a bit and let it rest for a minute before continuing.  It's light but hard to maneuver in an enclosed space while it flattens.  I got myself stuck in a corner and tried, unsuccessfully, to step over the giant roll.  I folded a section back onto itself (opposite the natural roll) and it creased the top material.  It's the section about 3' from the seats in this shot:

[Image: th_IMG_20170606_195406_zpsgrtigdq1.jpg]

That section is laying down slower than the rest.  The crease might make OCD folks crazy but it doesn't bother me and doesn't affect function.  So take it slow and have a buddy to help wrangle the unwieldy beast if you can.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to frater secessus for this post:
AbuelaLoca (06-07-2017), Queen (06-07-2017)
Holy carp, that's the best (read: easiest) flooring solution I've seen! Sometimes I get so spun up about the fancy woodworking builds that it all seems like an impossible dream. Thanks for giving me a figurative smack on the forehead.   Big Grin
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Stretch for this post:
AbuelaLoca (06-07-2017)
(06-06-2017, 07:33 AM)frater secessus Wrote: We make choices based on our intended uses.  Etc.

I'm a believer in doing what works for you rather than what works for others. So I'm glad the ProMaster fits your needs.
Someone wanted me to put this here: http://rollingsteeltent.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to MrNoodly for this post:
frater secessus (06-06-2017)
How do you plan to anchor shelves or whatnot one would anchor to the floor?
Add Thank You Reply