Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much H20 do you need to boondock for a week?
Sweeeeet! Thank you for asking such a great question! And thanks to all the old hands who have, and may in future, answer the question. I'm in the planning stages and the information is invaluable.

I will be traveling alone with a dog...unless a small brown girl takes a fancy to me as I travel the desert SW and points south into into Central America. I plan a simple vehicle, but one that can let my practice my uke and write for four weeks at a shot comfortably undisturbed.

Putt, my step van housetruck, currently has a 60gal potable water tank, I plan another two 25 gallon tanks between the wheel wells. I'll have on-board a submersible pump, hose, and on-board filtration system, and will be able to fill and deliver the three tanks separately. (I've heard that rum is cheap in some CA countries. Smile ) I have a composting toilet. And solar stuff of course.

(06-08-2017, 11:17 AM)AntiGroundhogDay Wrote: - How long are you willing to go without decent Internet?

I'll take a device that can text communicate with loved ones, so when I want to be "out there" I'll have no desire at all.

Quote:- How long can you before needing to do laundry?

I'm thinking about once every 4-7 days. I'll use the plunger5gal method; from what I've seen 2 gallons is plenty. (Amazing the stuff I've learned in the last year lurking here.) So maybe 3 gallons a week on laundry and other cleaning activities.

Quote:- How long can you go with sponge baths before a real shower?

Yeeeesh. That's a question that haunts me. I've started doing a lot of things lately to change my lifestyle to live aboard Putt, but the one thing I've consciously decided not to change is my water usage. I love a good shower; I don't shower long, but I do like to be clean. I don't think I stink too bad, but I sweat like a pig and get all salty pretty quick. Hence the 110 gallons of water. I'll have a cold water shower hose inside a hatch and and an astro-turf matt. I doubt I'll use more than a gallon a day showering.

Quote:- How much food can you carry?

Working on learning to cook various beans and rice with a small induction cooktop compatible pressure cooker. (Holy crap, I had no idea you could cook normal rice in about 15 minutes.) Beans/dhal, rice, dried meat, canned veggies, frozen stuff...should be able to pack 2 months...the second month would kinda suck probably. I should mention I'll be using an induction cooktop, so not limited by propane, sunlight and solar makes unlimited cooking capability.

Quote:- How long can you go before you get bored or need a change of scenery?

I'm wondering that myself.

Quote:- How long before your composting toilet fills? (really not sure if this is a week or more/less)

Someone said 6 weeks in this thread; I'm thinking three for me. But a shovel and a hole makes that a no limit item as well.

Quote:So if my limits are "about a week" for most things...

With 110 gallons at at 3 gal per day I've got a 35 day limit without creek/spring replenishment.

Thanks for the question, looking forward to more answers here.
Add Thank You Reply
(06-09-2017, 08:01 AM)Putts Wrote: I will be traveling alone with a dog...unless a small brown girl takes a fancy to me as I travel the desert SW and points south into into Central America.
LOL

Although there are some that would take offense at that little fantasy, I wish you luck with it, and sincerely hope you both find love and treat each other well.

"I define love thus: The will to extend one's self for the purpose of nurturing one's own or another's spiritual growth."
— M. Scott Peck, The Road Less Traveled: A New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values, and Spiritual Growth
Add Thank You Reply
Thanks for taking it as meant. Knowing I'll be traveling a lot south of the boarder, it seems the most likely possibility for a companion. I'm not really looking for it...but if it fell (or jumped) on my lap I'd certainly take it as an opportunity to share and nurture our spirits. Thanks for the quote.
Add Thank You Reply
mobile boarder 8-)
Add Thank You Reply
(06-09-2017, 08:01 AM)Putts Wrote: I will be traveling alone with a dog...unless a small brown girl takes a fancy to me as I travel the desert SW and points south into Central America. 

Are you any kin to Jimmy Buffet?

"Wasted away again in Margaritaville,

Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt.

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame,

But I know it's nobody's fault.

Don't know the reason,

Stayed here all season

With nothing to show but this brand new tattoo.

But it's a real beauty,

A Mexican cutie, how it got here

I haven't a clue."

Tongue
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
I spent ninety percent of my money on wine, women and song, and just wasted the other ten percent.
— Ronnie Hawkins
Add Thank You Reply
21 gallons pretty easy, 14 gallons conserving. 1/2 - 3/4 gallon for a camp shower is not hard to achieve.
Add Thank You Reply
(06-09-2017, 09:44 PM)tx2sturgis Wrote: Are you any kin to Jimmy Buffet.

But it's a real beauty,
A Mexican cutie, how it got here
I haven't a clue.

Well, I've got flip-flops. And no tatts...so plenty of room to rack 'em up.
Tongue
Add Thank You Reply
Having more drinking water than you think you will need is a good idea, especially in rougher, drier, country. I drink filtered, but also bring along potable unfiltered as part of that back up supply.
-Douglas Tooley

My Blog
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to DLTooley for this post:
caretaker (06-12-2017)
Evervbody is different. When we started out we used more.
I carried at least 1.5 weeks worth but we moved every 3 to 5 days.
At first, before you stop, plan where you can get water and food.
Always filter before use.
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boondock in every state for one week? offroad 25 5,792 08-25-2015, 06:38 PM
Last Post: highdesertranger