Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Travel information centers?
I was looking at my options for some overnight stays around Texas and discovered that the TX DPS maintains something like 80 travel information centers in various cities throughout the state. And it certainly sounds like they welcome overnight travelers, since they mention that they have 24-attendants, 24-hour restrooms etc.

Anybody here use these kinds of public facilities for overnighting?
Add Thank You Reply
I've visited the one north of Laredo. VERY nice. Park-like setting. It is busy. There were lots of overnighters. Security cameras, so it felt fairly safe.
Map of locations of TX rest areas.

http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/divisi...s-map.html
Add Thank You Reply
I overnighted one east of Houston. No problems, very safe.
Add Thank You Reply
I use them on road trips as needed.
Add Thank You Reply
I used one between San Antonio and Corpus Christi. Nice, if you don't mind traffic noise and slamming vehicle doors all night. There are also rest stops and "picnic areas" all along the major highways, though most of them are just barely off the highway.
Someone wanted me to put this here: http://rollingsteeltent.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply
Another great resource is http://www.freecampsites.net

We use it frequently in the hopes of avoiding the more noisy wal-marts.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Sabatical for this post:
Cammalu (06-12-2017)
I can now vouch for the one in Amarillo (east end of town, right off I-40). Very nice 24-hour restrooms, vending machines, and a nice paved lot with separate RV and truck areas. Main building was closed in the evening when I got there, so don;t know about the inside yet. Pretty sure free wifi is available, but don't know about the quality.
Add Thank You Reply
The Welcome Centers usually found on major highways at state lines are always a good spot !
I've spent MANY nights in them.
Of course this may change but I think they are extra careful to make them all the best they can be .
Stay Tuned
popeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC CRVL edition
12 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 4 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards! (What a "Stinkin' " honor !) + ROOIRIA

1981 Travelcraft Class C - 23'
Add Thank You Reply
How are the state rest areas on I-40 in New Mexico for overnight? Choice between the rest areas, truck stops, or WM. Been a while since I have been through there.
Add Thank You Reply
(06-12-2017, 09:34 AM)MrNoodly Wrote: I used one between San Antonio and Corpus Christi. Nice, if you don't mind traffic noise and slamming vehicle doors all night. There are also  rest stops and "picnic areas" all along the major highways, though most of them are just barely off the highway.

Sounds like Walmart!  Big Grin

In a Walmart near St. Pete, FL, I've had 2 young guys talking within 5' from my pickup for hours. Then they tried to pick my locks 2' from me sleeping in the reclined drivers seat (I had dark windows and Reflectix on all windows with velcro attached to the cab, before I knew what Reflectix was called.) I just rolled over and that got rid of them.

I was lazy, and paid the price. Rest stops are riskier, unless 18 wheelers parking is near: the LEO's of the highway. You just need ear plugs around Trucker's AC generators, but I feel much safer than Walmart!
Add Thank You Reply