Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wtf, someone is running this sprinter with 2 lugs on one wheel?
The fact that this is a commercial vehicle reminds be of a company that I used to work for. They had a boom truck that they had used for years with NO WINDSHIELD!!! HA!

Guy
"We're all bozos on the bus, so might as well sit back and enjoy the ride."

Wavy Gravy

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to gsfish for this post:
TMG51 (06-19-2017)
(06-19-2017, 08:52 PM)gsfish Wrote: I know that there were several European cars that used three lug pattern wheels.

Early sixties Renault Caravelle being one of them. Small sporty style convertible. I had one. When I saw that, I was like WTF? But it was a very light car.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Caravelle
Doing the Van thing since the early eighties.
Add Thank You Reply
(06-19-2017, 07:54 PM)TMG51 Wrote: Will see if it's still there tomorrow.

So... was it there?
Add Thank You Reply
Hope this story ends well for the driver.
I think I would have taken a sharpie and written a heads up on the driver window....
Stay Tuned
popeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC CRVL edition
12 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 4 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards! (What a "Stinkin' " honor !) + ROOIRIA

1981 Travelcraft Class C - 23'
Add Thank You Reply
The van was there the next morning. Didn't check in the afternoon. It was parked on the street.
[Image: W2lacLw.jpg]
Add Thank You Reply
Can you give me the address. I would like to call it in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YARC
Monkeyfoot
She Who Must Be Obeyed
The Nominator
Badge count 4
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Cammalu for this post:
rvpopeye (06-21-2017)
Reading about this reminds me of a Car my Grand Mother had.  A Renault Dauphine.

[Image: Renault_Dauphine_DE-89-92_pic5.JPG]

I'm sure all of these cars are back to "pots and pans" by now.....

but they only had 3 lug bolts per wheel from the Factory.  One bolt in the center of the Hub Cap held the cap on. 

I don't think that they could sell a car like that in this country today. 

Still,  I've seen a few people running two lug bolts side by side on a lot of small cars in past years.

I attribute a lot of it to those boys in the Service Stations who just love to lay on those compressed air Impact
Wrenches.   I've seen them start the nut on the lug and not even turn it a few times before tightening it with the Air Wrench.   The wrench has the power to run it tight cross threaded.  Then when you have a flat in the middle of nowhere.....the lug breaks off and you only have two fastenings to secure the spare with.

Repairing stupid starts with the young grease monkeys who think that they know what they are doing.

I insist that they not use air wrenches but first tightening the nuts with fingers and then using a lug wrench to manually tighten them.   I will check the tightness myself once its backed out of the bay onto the parking lot before leaving.  Over tightening with an Air Wrench may even stretch the lug studs and fatigue them where they may beak while driving. (under stressful turns or hitting bumps etc)

Having worked a number of years around this stuff I've seen enough to try to do as much of my own maintenance as I can.
Add Thank You Reply
(06-22-2017, 06:22 PM)eDJ_ Wrote: Reading about this reminds me of a Car my Grand Mother had.  A Renault Dauphine.

Wow, I learned to drive in one of those... Rolleyes 

And then had to take my drivers' test in a Pontiac Parisienne of the vintage that had hugeass fins... Big Grin
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

Build link: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...g-Arabella
Full-timer again as of November 24, 2015 - 14 glorious years on the road before that!

Add Thank You Reply
I've witnessed those guys go ballistic with the air impact wrenches, one time on my then friend's chevy diesel pickup for which he bought new aluminum rims.

I helped break off all the studs trying to unscrew them while sitting on the ground pushing on the bottom of a large 4 way lug wrench while pulling on the top. The aluminum rims were mushroomed too. He later drove that rig across country and the one wheel where the monkey did not go nuts with the impact wrench, flew off somewhere on I 10 in the florida panhandle, and they had to pull an Axelshaft to press out the old broken studs and to press in the new ones.

When I do my rotations and drum brake adjustments, I use a torque wrench at 80 90 then 100 Lbs in the star pattern.

If i were really concerned that this person would continue to drive on it, I'd unscrew the schrader valve and tape it to drivers window or perhaps just deflate the tire without removing that valve.
Add Thank You Reply
(06-22-2017, 06:22 PM)eDJ_ Wrote: Reading about this reminds me of a Car my Grand Mother had.  A Renault Dauphine.

<-------->

but they only had 3 lug bolts per wheel from the Factory.   
^^ See post 12 about Renault. ^^  It was actually a pretty cool little car.
I agree with not using an impact to start the nut. Quick way to ruin the stud. I watch tire people like a Hawk. Same with quickie lube joints.
Doing the Van thing since the early eighties.
Add Thank You Reply