Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting de-junking article
I hope that this is the right place to post this!  AND that I remember to actually post the link this time... LOL~~!! 

here it is:
http://www.tinyhousetalk.com/how-to-get-...ff-piling/

'95 Dodge B2500 shorty named Josephine
Working for two furry little slave drivers
Full time previously for several years and full time once again in Nov 2016
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to angeli for this post:
slynne (05-30-2017)
I really like the suggestion of doing it slowly. It can be over whelming psychically and sometimes emotionally  do everything to quickly. I have been doing one section at a time. The bottom of the closet...one kitchen cabinet...etc its working!
Thanks for the article.
Add Thank You Reply
Thanks Michelle.  I like your blog, it's a nice design.  Good luck with your dejunking!
'95 Dodge B2500 shorty named Josephine
Working for two furry little slave drivers
Full time previously for several years and full time once again in Nov 2016
Add Thank You Reply
Oh Thank you! 
Add Thank You Reply
A friend has a slightly different approach.  When helping others declutter, he would remove everything from a room, drawer or whatever.  Then he would ask the owner to put only those things they truly wanted there back.  Everything else needed to go.  I've only tried this on a very small scale.  Maybe it helps if he's standing there shaking his head!

Vickie
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to VanFan for this post:
slynne (05-30-2017)
Just put everything in storage for a while... when you go back and look at it... it ALL seems superfluous! Then when you consider the cost per month... OUT IT GOES,  easy as pie. 
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to IndigoE for this post:
XFILE36 (05-26-2017)
Paying for storage is an enormous waste of money.
Add Thank You Reply
I love this!  I started the downsizing process last week, by taking a large outdoor garbage bag into the bathroom, and was shocked to nearly fill the bag with stuff I haven't used in 10 years, and certainly don't want to pack.  That's my criteria, btw:  If I don't HAVE to have it, don't want to pack it, or it won't fit, it's got to go.  Anyone want to get the stuff out of the attic for me?  There are spiders up there!!!
Add Thank You Reply
We downsized a huge amount a few years ago when the kids were suddenly gone. We moved into an apartment for a few years. The place where we lived for 14 years with the kids had three bedrooms, basement and garage, all full to the brim. It took an entire summer to unload it all, a little at a time and in emotional steps, but we did it. Even after we moved into the apartment, we were still getting rid of stuff that we realized we didn't need and couldn't let go of before we moved. 

We moved into a small farm house after that and began to accumulate "stuff" again. Not nearly as much as we had with the kids home, however. We had to do another, but smaller, purge of possessions to move into our camper.

It takes a some time and thought to let go of things. We unloaded our old stuff and replaced it with the good "guest" things that had been put away for visitors. If we don't use it regularly, we don't need it. We don't 'Entertain'. That made it easier. Anything the kids wanted of theirs was given to them to keep and store along with all the family heirlooms. They can save them now.  

I'm still a hoarder and have to have a talk with myself occasionally.  
Add Thank You Reply
@Sheryl
"...It took an entire summer to unload it all..."
Only? How did you do that?!
Add Thank You Reply