Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cape Cod or Martha's Vinyard?
Interested in stealth van camping for a couple days, off season in mid October. Has anyone done it or have experiences, places to share?  My van is a total stealth, white, Chevy cargo(no windows) van if that makes a difference. Thanks!
2015 Chevy Express 2500 Stealth Van named, Seneca Lodge Too.  See you at a racetrack near you soon!
Add Thank You Reply
I don't know about the Cape, but it would obviously depend on each town. I do know that Nantucket island and the towns on the Vineyard have strict rules against overnight street parking - and they do enforce them and give out tickets. It's a major source of revenue for them. There are parking lots near the ferry landings, but they're not free, to my knowledge. If you go to the websites for both islands, you can read about it. If you stay far from the town centers, you might get away with it, but it's risky. If you know anyone who lives on-island, maybe you could ask to park in their driveway.

The islands discourage vehicles coming over, so you can't really be stealthy there, because so few tourists bring their cars. Most people leave cars at the ferry terminal on the cape and take the ferry or fly in and bike or taxi around. A white van would stick out for sure. You might have a better chance at stealth on Cape Cod, depending on the town.
Add Thank You Reply
Oh, and there are still some tourists in October, but with so much less people, houses and some businesses closing down for the fall/winter, a white cargo van parked somewhere overnight would be very obvious and noticeable at that time of year! These are places where, after most tourists and seasonal homeowners leave, everybody knows everybody else!

So, while perhaps not impossible, quite the challenge for stealth parking!
Add Thank You Reply
(08-07-2017, 05:22 PM)CityWoman Wrote: Oh, and there are still some tourists in October, but with so much less people, houses and some businesses closing down for the fall/winter, a white cargo van parked somewhere  overnight would be very obvious and noticeable at that time of year!  These are places where, after most tourists and seasonal homeowners leave, everybody knows everybody else!

So, while perhaps not impossible, quite the challenge for stealth parking!

Thanks for the tips. I noticed that the only campground on Martha's Vinyard closes a couple of days before my trip. I'll most likely stay on Cape Cod. Looks like plenty of campsites will still be open. I know I could camp stealthy, but maybe not a great idea with my nervous wife!
2015 Chevy Express 2500 Stealth Van named, Seneca Lodge Too.  See you at a racetrack near you soon!
Add Thank You Reply
The state park (Nickerson) closes Oct 8.

I just checked because I was going to recommend it.

Years ago I spent the whole summer on the cape, bouncing between art/craft shows and the SP. It is fully booked for the summer from the time the first reservations become available but they have 'overflow' spots. Back then they were $6.00 a night, way cheaper than the campsites and closer to the showers than the regular sites were... Big Grin . If your timing was right you got an outside spot that had picnic table and a fire ring.

Unless things have changed in the past few years, you're not going to find places to boondock on the cape. They're pretty tight about all the parking and think that all their visitors need to be affluent!
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

Lady Arabella - 2002 GMC Savana 2500, fiberglass high top DIY conversion  
Link to the building of her here: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...g-Arabella
Full-timer as of November 24, 2015

Add Thank You Reply
Just come to Maine..............
Stay Tuned
popeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC
12 "Stinkin'Badges" ? , 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters , 4 "Pine Cone" clusters and NOW 2 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"award! (What a "Stinkin' " honor !)
(I'm not allowed to add a tongue out smiley so TBTBTBTBTBTB!!)  

1981 Travelcraft Class C - 23'
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
DLTooley (08-14-2017)