Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
We are TURNING OFF email Notifications
As you know, we have had an ongoing problem with very late email notifications of new posts. We've been working on it with the webmaster and have not found any solutions. The webmaster can't find anything wrong with the system at the server level--it appears to be sending them out on time. If she can't find or fix it then we can't do anything about it.

It's reached the point we are forced to TURN OFF  all forum email notifications of new posts.

But that is merely an annoyance, we are also having a major problem with the email notifications that is an actual threat to the forum.

Sometimes, when a person gets tired of all the email notifications and can't figure out how to turn them off, he just reports them as spam to his email provider.  Obviously, that stops them from coming. 

And for some reason, sometimes an email provider just goes nuts and decides the forum is spam, we can't figure out why. This happens the most with Yahoo, but it happens with all of them. 

We get reports of who is reporting us as spam and when we get them I write them and ask them not to do that because it creates a problem for us. And nearly always the person insists they are not reporting us as spam but we know that for some reason it's happening. 

Why is all this important? Spam is an enormous problem and all the email providers are fighting it to the death. They all know who is being reported as spam and if we are reported as spam often enough we will be "gray-listed" which means all mail from the forum is marked as possible spam and needing special watching. That slows down the flow of our mail and it's possible that is why our mail is so slow.

If that goes on long enough, then the forum is "black-listed" and that means we are listed as a spammer and all our mail simply is not sent out, we stop existing. Including new member sign ups!

That's very, very bad. But it gets worse.

Not only the mail from the forum will be blacklisted, but the entire server IP address. That means that for the company that is hosting us none of the websites on that server can have their mail sent out. Of course, they can't allow that and so they will simply stop serving us rather than have that happen. The forum will be dead.

We've been harping away at anyone we find reporting us as spam and it seems to be working. But, it always continues eventually.

So as an act of self-defense, I'm going to have the webmaster shut off the email notification system and you will no longer be able to sign up to get notifications of new emails or receive them for ones you've already signed up for. 

Personally, I never use it and won't miss it at all, but I know many of you do and so I'm sorry we can't get it figured out, but that is just the reality of our situation. 
2015 GMC Savannah 2500 van, 480 watts of Solar Panels--and a wonderful furry best friend named Cody. I'm out to change the world!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 13 users say Thank You to akrvbob for this post:
Gypsynurse (11-12-2017), Dawnap (10-28-2017), bpdchief (10-22-2017), heron (10-01-2017), Kathleen (08-18-2017), regis101 (08-16-2017), AbuelaLoca (08-14-2017), RoadtripsAndCampfires (08-12-2017), KathyC (08-09-2017), JimMcBride (08-09-2017), BradKW (08-09-2017), Gypsy Jane (08-09-2017), Ballenxj (08-09-2017)
Thanks to you and all the mods for all the work you do. I've seen this before elsewhere and it is a very real problem. I think you're making the right chioce.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 4 users say Thank You to Putts for this post:
BobbieH (10-25-2017), Photogal39Travels (08-11-2017), pnolans (08-11-2017), cyndi (08-09-2017)
I like subscription notifications normally, but the ones from this forum have become a major annoyance. Yesterday, or the day before, I got somewhere over one hundred emails. It was just easier to delete them all, but I would never report them as spam.
Long story short, I won't miss them either, but I do appreciate the heads up.
Doing the Van thing since the early eighties.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Ballenxj for this post:
cyndi (08-09-2017)
(08-09-2017, 06:43 AM)akrvbob Wrote: And for some reason, sometimes an email provider just goes nuts and decides the forum is spam, we can't figure out why. This happens the most with Yahoo, but it happens with all of them. 

Bob, 

In case no one has looked into it yet, you should explore whether your DNS records for your domain (DNS Records)  contain SPF and DKIM entries. These should include your server IP address as a valid sender. If your hosting service uses a different IP to send anything using the sendmail function then that IP address should also be included. Also, if you are using a FROM email address on emails sent by the system, you should make sure that is an actual existing email address. 

(Yahoo, in particular, uses a DKIM lookup to check for spamminess.) 

We run into this all the time with contact forms and other system generated emails being blocked from our clients. In some cases we've had to resort to using SMTP to send those emails and have also had to sometimes use a third party SMTP server (which also needs to listed in your SPF and DKIM records) in order to ensure system emails are delivered. 

This stuff is the bane of my existence....

Probably way more than you want to know, but if someone is working on this for you, it might give them a few areas to research/check out if they haven't already. 

jim

PS - a dedicated IP can help - some shared hosting services offer this as a not too terribly expensive option. Cheaper than a dedicated server...
2017 Coachmen Freelander Micro 
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to moorejames for this post:
cyndi (08-09-2017), Ballenxj (08-09-2017), gsfish (08-09-2017)
I'm good just do it
2015 RTR  adrian.schafgans@gmail.com
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to wagoneer for this post:
cyndi (08-09-2017)
The problem I had was I could not turn off some of your email notifications on this board. I was receiving many "replies to posts I supposedly subscribed. My only choice was to use my browsers filters. I welcome your decision to stop them all.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Weight for this post:
cyndi (08-09-2017)
If actual email spammers had to pay a penny each for the millions of junk emails they sent out every day, that would stop spam very quickly!
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
cyndi (08-09-2017)
To be fair, Yahoo Mail "automatically detects" spam and sends it to a "spam folder" to be deleted--and where it is not seen by the user. So it is entirely possible--in fact very likely--that if Yahoo's spam filter decides that emails from this forum are "probably spam", the intended recipient will never seven see it or know that it has been sent, and it will be Yahoo's filter, not the user him/herself, that reports it as "probably spam".

Yahoo's filter can be "taught" that it's NOT spam, if enough people correct it. But I suspect virtually nobody does that for the simple reason that they never check their spam folder and therefore never see it.

Sad

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to lenny flank for this post:
cyndi (08-09-2017)
(08-09-2017, 11:15 AM)lenny flank Wrote: Yahoo's filter can be "taught" that it's NOT spam, if enough people correct it. But I suspect virtually nobody does that for the simple reason that they never check their spam folder and therefore never see it.

I wonder....

Bob, can we request one email notification from the forum to check?

I don't think the forum has sent me anything other than the registration email...if it has, I havent seen it.
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
I was going to say some of the same things moorejames said. Listen to his advice.

But also, I won't miss email notifications. I never use them. For anyone who does use them, it ought to be easy to change over to using the forum watch list feature, then simply check your user CP here rather than your email inbox.
[Image: W2lacLw.jpg]
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to TMG51 for this post:
theinfamousj (08-09-2017), cyndi (08-09-2017), moorejames (08-09-2017)