Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cast Iron, Aluminum, or stainless steel?
I'm just curious what others think of this:

I *NEVER* use aluminum cookware. Everything I have in my van for cooking/eating is either stainless steel or cast iron. I cant taste the difference when anything is cooked on aluminum.. yuck... Can you? Do you season your pots/pans?
"Progress is a nice word. But change is its motivator. And change has its enemies."

Add Thank You Reply
Cast Iron , yes.
Stainless , no.
I have an old cast aluminum dutch oven that was my grandmother's but I left it with a good friend because , well camper and too much stuff = bad juju.
But I remember many meals cooked in it that are my memories of my grandmother . I was real small but it always tasted goooooooood ,
maybe that was the aluminum but it's grandma to me !
Stay Tuned
popeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC CRVL edition
12 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 4 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards! (What a "Stinkin' " honor !) + ROOIRIA

1981 Travelcraft Class C - 23'
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
steamjam1 (08-14-2017)
Yes seasoned cast iron.

I have a few copper clad with SS that are good
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to John61CT for this post:
steamjam1 (08-14-2017)
Seasoned cast iron fry pan, an antique cast aluminum fry pan that only gets hauled out if I'm cooking for a bunch and a stainless steel pot set.

I finally gifted my enamelled pots last winter. They'd been my camping pots for decades but with me full-timing I got to keep the good stainless in the camper so the old orange and white enamelled ones were not needed anymore and taking up space.
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

Build link: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...g-Arabella
Full-timer again as of November 24, 2015 - 14 glorious years on the road before that!

Add Thank You Reply
stainless and cast iron only. I always season cast iron. they only time I seasoned stainless is when I recycled a fry pan that someone was going to toss. they brunt something in it real bad it seemed to have gotten into the pores. so I washed it multiple times until I couldn't get it any cleaner then I took a sanding flap wheel on my angle grinder and got the rest of the black spots out. then I took 600 wet and dry sandpaper and worked it until all the scratches were gone. then I washed it real good and fired a bunch of bacon in it. it came out great and to this day it is my go to fry pan and that was 20 some years ago. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
I do most of my cooking right in the can. That always riles up my health-conscious friends who tell me it will kill me in 30 years or whatever. But I've been doing it since I started backpacking some 40 years ago, and have had no apparent ill effects.

I also have a plain ole ordinary nonstick frying pan from Walmart, and an aluminum saucepan which I use mostly to boil water.

It is a myth that cooking in an aluminum pot leaches metal into your food.

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply
Even letting acidic sauce sit?
Add Thank You Reply
Cast iron
Cast iron
Cast iron
And cast iron
[Image: W2lacLw.jpg]
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to TMG51 for this post:
(08-21-2017)
Aluminum typical camping gear cook set.
Aluminum pizza pans for pizza, bread or cookies.
Stainless for percolator (used on campfires)
2004, Ford Freestar, Mini-Van, 18-mpg city and 21.5-mpg highway at 75mph, 3.9 engine, 168K+ miles.
Add Thank You Reply
Cast Iron and Stainless for me. I absolutely hate Aluminum pans, I took a bunch of pans when my grandmother died and the few aluminum ones in the bunch went down range for target practice. About all they're good for in my book.
I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life.
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cast iron Dutch Oven, enameled SilverVoyager 18 926 10-09-2017, 07:45 AM
Last Post: gsfish
  Seasoning Cast Iron Spaceman Spiff 11 2,940 06-06-2015, 11:38 AM
Last Post: gsfish
  How much cast iron to take on the road? TMG51 38 6,674 06-04-2015, 10:46 AM
Last Post: ccbreder