Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cast Iron, Aluminum, or stainless steel?
Cast iron for most cooking.
Titanium tea pot for boiling water for coffee and oatmeal.
MSR stainless steel nesting cook set pots (2).
Aluminum pressure cooker used every once in a while as a slow cooker.
Titanium tea pot for reconstituting dried and freeze dried foods when backpacking.

-- Spiff
Add Thank You Reply
Cast griddle, dutch oven, fry pan
stainless 2 qt for water, soups, acidic food.
Stainless tea pot
"I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me"
-Fred Allen-
Add Thank You Reply
(08-14-2017, 03:39 PM)John61CT Wrote: Even letting acidic sauce sit?

Yes.  The oxide coating protects it.

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply
I have a few of each. Ceramic-coated aluminum frying pans, three cast iron pans and stainless steel cook pots. I struggle with the cast iron as it is so heavy and gets too hot to handle some times so not sure I plan om keeping it, but then I doubt the ceramic non-stick pans will last real long. Guess I have the space for now to keep them all.
2007 Keystone Springdale
2000 F-250 7.3L
Cody & Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Find us: www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com
Add Thank You Reply
(08-15-2017, 10:49 AM)DuneElliot Wrote:  I struggle with the cast iron as it is so heavy and gets too hot to handle some times so not sure I plan om keeping it

These are worth their weight in gold for cast iron.  Solves one of your two issues with them.  
https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-ASHHM11-Sil...ndle+cover

If you don't mind the upfront investment, this company got it's start up capital on kickstarter, over a million bucks was raised.  They set out to make the perfect cast iron pan, similar to how they used to be made 100 years ago.  It's smoother grained (easier to season) and lighter weight, 25-50% less than normal cast iron pans.

I wanted one a year ago when I first heard about them and kept checking back in on them but they were sold out constantly.  Just checked again to see they are finally in stock.  I'm gonna order one and will write a post on it once i've used it for a few weeks.  I own two old ones I picked up at flea markets and love them, but this one has had me intrigued since I first read about the quest the two brothers went on to create a pan equal to an old wagner cast iron pan. 

https://fieldcompany.com/p/cast-iron-field-skillet/
I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Every Road Leads Home for this post:
FlowerGirl (01-02-2018), rvpopeye (08-15-2017)
Thanks but since I have so many I really don't want to buy any more right now. I have more than enough pans to get me by...and they were all free.
2007 Keystone Springdale
2000 F-250 7.3L
Cody & Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Find us: www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com
Add Thank You Reply
(08-15-2017, 10:49 AM)DuneElliot Wrote: I struggle with the cast iron as it is so heavy and gets too hot to handle some times

I use the cast iron fry pan for a weight to do arm curls and lift exercises...saves me from having to carry weights as well in the van.... Big Grin I used to use my gallon water jugs as well!!

I have handle pot holders that slip on the handle as well as pot holders but I like those silcone handle covers...they'll be on my wish list for when I get back stateside.
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

Build link: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...g-Arabella
Full-timer again as of November 24, 2015 - 14 glorious years on the road before that!

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Almost There for this post:
Gardenias (12-17-2017)
(08-14-2017, 02:51 PM)steamjam1 Wrote: I'm just curious what others think of this:

I *NEVER* use aluminum cookware. Everything I have in my van for cooking/eating is either stainless steel or cast iron. I cant taste the difference when anything is cooked on aluminum.. yuck... Can you? Do you season your pots/pans?

I use cast iron and stainless steel.  In fact I have several "old" cast iron skillets and a couple of all clad skillets I need to sell.  I just couldn't leave them and now I need to downsize and I need the money.  If anyone is interested, please contact me.  I am currently in Ehrenberg, AZ.
La Tortuga Abides,

Who knew that becoming a "Human Being" takes practice?
Add Thank You Reply
I have started replacing my non-stick fry pans with Stainless steel because I am tired of replacing them. Most of my cookware is thin enameled pots needed for use in the solar ovens. I can't use cast iron due to lifting restrictions, otherwise I would love a real dutch oven to stack coals on.
Sparky created, (Sparkles on some Saturday nights)  Max the Wonder puppy approved

2011 Ameri-lite 25 ft bunkhouse with 750w of solar and a 675 Ah bank
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w of tilting solar.
Add Thank You Reply
A cast iron frying pan for over the campfire and stove and a cheap Teflon over aluminum 2 qt. pan w/cover for over the stove.  That's all I carry on my trips, and it seems like enough.
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cast iron Dutch Oven, enameled SilverVoyager 18 917 10-09-2017, 07:45 AM
Last Post: gsfish
  Seasoning Cast Iron Spaceman Spiff 11 2,940 06-06-2015, 11:38 AM
Last Post: gsfish
  How much cast iron to take on the road? TMG51 38 6,664 06-04-2015, 10:46 AM
Last Post: ccbreder