Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cast Iron, Aluminum, or stainless steel?
Carbon steel, well-seasoned.
Sofie the Sprinter, 2002 low roof

www.sondrarose.com
Add Thank You Reply
(08-14-2017, 03:30 PM)lenny flank Wrote: It is a myth that cooking in an aluminum pot leaches metal into your food.

Actually it depends on what you cook in your aluminum pot.  Highly acidic foods will erode the aluminum a small amount.  Over time they will become pitted, I have see it in too many commercial kitchens to believe it is a myth.  That metal that gets eroded goes into the food.  It just really depends on what your cooking.

“Lo, I would wander far away, I would lodge in the peace of the wilderness."
Add Thank You Reply
(08-15-2017, 10:40 AM)lenny flank Wrote: Yes.  The oxide coating protects it.

Evidence would suggest you are mistaken.

a study conducted at UCSC conducted under the supervision of  Mr. Raman Afshar. With aid from Dr. John Rowland and Prof.Pradip Mascharak 

Conclusions/Discussion 
Collectively, the results show that aluminum does dissolve in acidic foods and heating accelerates the process of dissolution. Therefore, precautions must be taken when acidic foods are cooked in aluminum foil, pots, pans and utensils. Ingestion of dissolved aluminum could lead to brain disorders.

Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to geogentry for this post:
Ballenxj (12-16-2017), SondraRose (12-15-2017)
(12-15-2017, 08:06 PM)geogentry Wrote: Evidence would suggest you are mistaken.

a study conducted at UCSC conducted under the supervision of  Mr. Raman Afshar. With aid from Dr. John Rowland and Prof.Pradip Mascharak 

Conclusions/Discussion 
Collectively, the results show that aluminum does dissolve in acidic foods and heating accelerates the process of dissolution. Therefore, precautions must be taken when acidic foods are cooked in aluminum foil, pots, pans and utensils. Ingestion of dissolved aluminum could lead to brain disorders.

WOW!  That explains a lot!
La Tortuga Abides,

Who knew that becoming a "Human Being" takes practice?
Add Thank You Reply
(12-15-2017, 08:06 PM)geogentry Wrote:  Ingestion of dissolved aluminum could lead to brain disorders.

Houston we have a problem.....
     what was the question??? Lol
On the journey of a lifetime!
Add Thank You Reply
I will attest that acidic food eats and pits aluminum. I ruined an aluminum dutch oven roaster that way and is the main reason I no longer use aluminum pots and pans. also aluminum fry pans suck. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
Linda Cripple-Creek (12-20-2017), Ballenxj (12-16-2017)
I applaud you HDS being so sensitive to cookware.
2015 RTR  adrian.schafgans@gmail.com
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to wagoneer for this post:
highdesertranger (12-15-2017)
hey Adrian who is that young guy in you avatar. LOL. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
Back on topic

I use a stainless steel pot, a steel (not stainless) frying pan and I have a rather huge cast iron frying pan that doesn't see much use right now but am sure it will see a lot of use once I am a Nomad.  I don't use aluminum to cook in or non stick.  Non stick tends to flake off after a while and I hate when something always sticks in a bunch of little tiny spots.  I read that the Teflon that flakes off is not healthy but have never seen anything that proves that.

And HDR nice move on the pan.  Best I have ever heard of seasoning a pan.

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to geogentry for this post:
highdesertranger (12-16-2017)
Copper

My mom fell for those infomercials about copper pots and has been using them for about a year. They are fantastic!!!!! I’ll replace all mine with them.
2015 GMC Savannah 2500 van, 480 watts of Solar Panels--and a wonderful furry best friend named Cody. I'm out to change the world!
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cast iron Dutch Oven, enameled SilverVoyager 18 923 10-09-2017, 07:45 AM
Last Post: gsfish
  Seasoning Cast Iron Spaceman Spiff 11 2,940 06-06-2015, 11:38 AM
Last Post: gsfish
  How much cast iron to take on the road? TMG51 38 6,669 06-04-2015, 10:46 AM
Last Post: ccbreder