Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cast Iron, Aluminum, or stainless steel?
(12-30-2017, 10:26 PM)Stanvan Wrote: I just got rid of the aluminum that my parents used for camping and replaced them with Revere Ware copper bottomed stainless steel. Because....

It is a proven fact that exposed metal cookware leaches in to the food you cook in them.  With cast iron and stainless steel, it's okay, as our bodies use iron. Our bodies do not use aluminum.  Furthermore, studies have shown links to Alzheimer's, and recent one tend to confirm earlier ones. 

^^ These are the reasons I shy away from aluminum cookware. ^^
 Years ago I stumbled across a complete set of Revere ware new in the box for like $40. Yeah, they came home with me. I do like cast iron too. Hard to beat.
I also found a Revere perk coffee pot. It too is stainless steel with a copper clad bottom.   Cool
Doing the Van thing since the early eighties.
Add Thank You Reply
I've read several studies recently that say cooking with cast iron or real copper on a daily basis can result in too much of these metals in a person's bloodstream. In the case of copper, the effects can be dangerous and too much iron can wreak havoc on your organs. Using cast iron once a week would probably not harm anyone, though.

Stainless steel will also leach small amounts of nickel and chromium, but unless a person has a particular sensitivity to these metals, daily cooking with stainless steel doesn't appear to pose any long term health risks.
Add Thank You Reply
Everything poses a health risk..lol
Add Thank You Reply
(12-31-2017, 10:06 PM)TinaTomato Wrote: I've read several studies recently that say cooking with cast iron or real copper on a daily basis can result in too much of these metals in a person's bloodstream. In the case of copper, the effects can be dangerous and too much iron can wreak havoc on your organs. Using cast iron once a week would probably not harm anyone, though.

Stainless steel will also leach small amounts of nickel and chromium, but unless a person has a particular sensitivity to these metals, daily cooking with stainless steel doesn't appear to pose any long term health risks.

Hi Tina - could you please point me at these studies that indicate cast iron is hazardous.  I spent the last hour looking online and cant find ANY studies anywhere that cite anything like that.  I would love to read these studies.

You are 100% on spot with the copper - that is why all that fancy copper you see in those high end kitchen is coated on the inside with stainless steel.

“Lo, I would wander far away, I would lodge in the peace of the wilderness."
Add Thank You Reply
We all have a need for iron in fact if you put a magnet in a bowl of cereal you we be surprised.... It goes back to are simpalalistic from on the product scale we are part is planet and part of his planet and keeping us warm healthy and educated is iron and copper more so iron thin copper

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk
Add Thank You Reply
Cast Iron skillet all the way!!!

Stainless plates, bowls, cups, utensils, etc...

Big Grin
https://tinyurl.com/y74tm6pa

Proud YARC inductee
Add Thank You Reply
From TNTTT, thought pretty funny:

Socal Tom Wrote:There was a thread a while back on Expo. “You know you're an Overlander when...”

My favorite was

“When you carry cast iron pots and titanium spoons”!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to John61CT for this post:
frater secessus (01-03-2018), La Tortuga (01-02-2018), Van Man Dave (01-02-2018)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cast iron Dutch Oven, enameled SilverVoyager 18 911 10-09-2017, 07:45 AM
Last Post: gsfish
  Seasoning Cast Iron Spaceman Spiff 11 2,939 06-06-2015, 11:38 AM
Last Post: gsfish
  How much cast iron to take on the road? TMG51 38 6,657 06-04-2015, 10:46 AM
Last Post: ccbreder