Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting a cat on the road...
"I read Bob's post about his assessment that 60% of the cats disappear."

Having worked with animals my whole live (raised by a Border Collie), and worked for a veterinarian for 12 years, I can say that I've known all kinds of cats and all kinds of cat owners.

Some people care about their cats, and do everything they can to keep them happy and safe. Others, not so much. Kittens and cats are cute, pretty, handsome, friendly, loving and lovable. To many people, they are also DISPOSABLE. They can get another one for free, practically anywhere, so they really don't have to put much effort into keeping them safe.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to TrainChaser for this post:
Gardenias (12-05-2017)
Awesome! I would have preferred an older cat, but it looks like I'll be going the Kitten route when that time comes! Thanks all!
Add Thank You Reply
(10-19-2017, 07:27 PM)Gardenias Wrote: gramakittycat took four kitties in a minivan.

My goodness! And here I thought it was going to be a challenge taking two. Smile
It's little I care what path I take,
And where it leads it's little I care,
But out of this house, lest my heart break,
I must go, and off somewhere! 
 ~ Edna St. Vincent Millay
Add Thank You Reply
Make sure you can take care of yourself first. Adding a critter to your life means you will be taking care of it 100% along with yourself.
If we were meant to stay in one place, we'd have roots instead of feet. My little place on the interweb - Cyberian Radio 

Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Motrukdriver for this post:
Gardenias (12-05-2017), Linda Cripple-Creek (11-24-2017)
My kitty is 12 years old and suffered trauma before i got her at 2 years old. She has been pretty nervous for most of the time i have had her. I am planning to bring her with me on the road, but friends have said they don't think she will be able to adjust to a "long road trip".. She was a Hurricane Katrina rescue and was transported in a box the several hundred miles to Virginia. She still Hates a box and my attempts to acclimate her to being in the SUV are not particularly successful. Does anyone else have experience/suggestions for helping kitty be happy on the road?? I don't want to try to rehome her - she needs understanding ...

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Linda Cripple-Creek for this post:
Gardenias (12-05-2017)
(11-24-2017, 05:34 PM)Linda Cripple-Creek Wrote: My kitty is 12 years old and suffered trauma before i got her at 2 years old.  She has been pretty nervous for most of the time i have had her. I am planning to bring her with me on the road, but friends have said they don't think she will be able to adjust to a "long road trip".. She was a Hurricane Katrina rescue and was transported in a box the several hundred miles to Virginia. She still Hates a box   and my attempts to acclimate her to being in the SUV are not particularly successful. Does anyone else have experience/suggestions for helping kitty be happy on the road?? I don't want to try to rehome her - she needs understanding ...

Go here in google and check out the cool things for kitties.  It is the Australia google but hopefully it will come up in the US side.  I'm sooooo ready to leave this country.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=cat+h...36#imgrc=_
If we were meant to stay in one place, we'd have roots instead of feet. My little place on the interweb - Cyberian Radio 

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Motrukdriver for this post:
Linda Cripple-Creek (11-24-2017)
Thanks, MoTruk! What are you doing in Oz? Looks like i will be needing to get rid of my SUV (unexpectedly dead). I've found a lovely extended passenger van which would work so nicely for one of these kitty-observation-net gizmos. Thanks for the link. Lots of good pet ideas. I'm sure I'll be able to find some of these in the US. When will you be back? Going to RTR?

Add Thank You Reply
(11-24-2017, 10:59 PM)Linda Cripple-Creek Wrote: Thanks, MoTruk! What are you doing in Oz? Looks like i will be needing to get rid of my SUV (unexpectedly dead). I've found a lovely extended passenger van which would work so nicely for one of these kitty-observation-net gizmos. Thanks for the link. Lots of good pet ideas. I'm sure I'll be able to find some of these in the US. When will you be back? Going to RTR?

My wife is Australian.  We're here on some business and I'm helping my brother-in-law remodel his kitchen when he can get materials shipped in.  Our apartment here needs some work too so we're taking our time getting that done. We don't get back on the airplane coming home until Jan 22nd so no RTR for us this year.  Most welcome for the kitty stuff link.  Sorry to hear about the SUV but you'll be happier in an extended van.

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Motrukdriver for this post:
Linda Cripple-Creek (11-24-2017)
(11-24-2017, 05:34 PM)Linda Cripple-Creek Wrote: My kitty is 12 years old ...  She has been pretty nervous for most of the time i have had her. I am planning to bring her with me on the road, ... She still Hates a box   and my attempts to acclimate her to being in the SUV are not particularly successful. Does anyone else have experience/suggestions for helping kitty be happy on the road?? I don't want to try to rehome her - she needs understanding ...

Posted by Motrukdriver - Friday, 24th November, 2017, 05:20 PM Make sure you can take care of yourself first. Adding a critter to your life means you will be taking care of it 100% along with yourself.

Since my post on Oct 19 (where my preparations came to a halt), I've been to two other vets (holistic & conventional). Since these two voiced that it depends on the individual cat, I've resumed my preparation efforts. (I've lost nearly two months of preparation time.)

Mine is the same age as Linda Cripple-Creeks', has been indoor only, and used to lots of (relatively safe) space.

Recently, I went to a nearby park to try out a sleeping mat. For whatever reason, as I lay on the mat in the car, I felt nauseous. Additionally, the litter box is right behind the driver seat which means it would be right next to my face as I sleep.

Now, I've been thinking of Motrukdriver's post. How am I to care for a cat If I'm not feeling well?

Though somehow, I have to make it to the area next year; and I'm hoping to attend the Women's RTR.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Gardenias for this post:
Linda Cripple-Creek (12-05-2017)
(10-20-2017, 03:19 PM)TrainChaser Wrote: "I read Bob's post about his assessment that 60% of the cats disappear."

"... Some people care about their cats, and do everything they can to keep them happy and safe. ..."

(11-24-2017, 05:20 PM)Motrukdriver Wrote: Make sure you can take care of yourself first.  Adding a critter to your life means you will be taking care of it 100% along with yourself.

II think I'd like to attend at least a day of the Women's RTR. And in light of these two posts, I'm trying to decide whether or not to board the cat for this first outing. It never occurred to me that I'd be feeling terrified about this (possible) first step out of my comfort zone. I'm thinking these feelings are probably related to my concerns about my cat. Any thoughts are appreciated since my options dwindle with time.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Gardenias for this post:
Linda Cripple-Creek (12-17-2017)