Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EZ Pass Tracking
A Minimum $20 balance prepaid*
Started fulltiming 01/17 -  '98 Chevy Express 1500 Gladiator 
Add Thank You Reply
(08-24-2017, 01:14 PM)Trebor English Wrote: There are roadside radios set up to interrogate transponders that are nowhere near toll roads.  I have only seen non toll interrogators on interstate highways.  I can't guess why they would do that.  

Is it possible you are referring to the Pre-Pass units near truck weighstations?

If so, those are used to ID (and bill) commercial trucks for IFTA road tax purposes and some also have weigh-in-motion scales embedded in the pavement usually in the right hand lane, a mile or so ahead of the station. There will usually be a sign advising the drivers that it is a Pre-Pass station.
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
That's pretty interesting.
Started fulltiming 01/17 -  '98 Chevy Express 1500 Gladiator 
Add Thank You Reply
There are no readers for ezpass any place but at toll gates. You are seeing something else not connected to ez pass. I have my NJ ez pass linked to a credit card. If my balance falls under $10, they add $25. I picked these numbers and don't remember the choices. NJ Ez pass does charge a fee of $1 per month. I can get NC whatever pass with no extra fee. It works for ezpass, NC pass, Georga pass, and sun pass in Florida. That is my next move. I do have Sun Pass but no longer use it. EZ pass will go and NC will be it. Toll Transponders are the best thing I have adopted. Ez pass would flag the folks that work in the rest stops, if they tracked that kind of stuff. They do not track that. How ever, if you did get busted for sleeping in your vehicle, the prosecutor could get a search warrant to use ezpass records to prove you were there. Then the jury would be sure to find you guilty.
Add Thank You Reply
Has anyone ever heard of anyone being arrested for **sleeping in a rest stop**??!

Sounds to me like being busted for using a pay phone to make a phone call, or taking a dump in a public rest room.
Add Thank You Reply
^^^ no doubt, seems a bit odd. Can someone expand on that?
Exclamation And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years. — Abraham Lincoln
Add Thank You Reply
(08-24-2017, 06:30 PM)John61CT Wrote: Has anyone ever heard of anyone being arrested for **sleeping in a rest stop**??!

Sounds to me like being busted for using a pay phone to make a phone call, or taking a dump in a public rest room.

Would guess the citation would be for loitering or vagrancy or something similar (there is always something if an officer REALLY wants it) as many/most rest areas have signs prohibiting staying more than 4 hours or something
"Having the gumption to live different and the sense to let everybody else live different.  That's the hardest thing, hands down." --- Alice Venable Middleton
Add Thank You Reply
In Mass it's illegal to use electronic tolling information/cameras for anything other than collecting tolls. I do believe there are a few exceptions, ie when there is an Amber alert and they are looking for the car suspected of the kidnapping, they can use the electronic toll footage to help locate it.

So while the can probably use them for other purposes, I don't believe they have the legal right to, the man power too, or the desire too. Police are over burdened with crimes happening in real time, they'll never have any time to start looking for minor infractions via transponder trackings.

The convenience factor for me outweighs all the potential negatives. Most tolls give you a small discount for using them too. I put $50 on mine at a time, and when my balance reaches $10 they automatically take another $50 from my checking acct. You can set how much to put on it at a time, I think the minimum is $20. I'm not a huge fan of automatic withdrawals, but it's my only choice if I want the pass. $50 usually lasts me 6 months or more.
I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life.
Add Thank You Reply
(08-24-2017, 01:14 PM)Trebor English Wrote: There are roadside radios set up to interrogate transponders that are nowhere near toll roads.  I have only seen non toll interrogators on interstate highways.  I can't guess why they would do that.  

RFID transponders (and bluetooth MAC readers) are commonly used to read traffic speeds.  They don't know know (or care) who each device belongs to, only that it passed here and then there in a given amount of time.  Disruptions in normal speeds alert traffic operations operators to look in the area for wrecks, stalls, etc. Google used to read our data directly for their own congestion maps but it is now either combined or replaced by Waze data.

I work directly with toll billing backend folks and toll-capture infrastructure folks on a weekly basis as part of my state job with the highway dept.  I have never heard anyone say they are worried about cars that go "missing" after they pass a given point.   In my experience when police detectives (and lawyers) call to inquire about data they always ask for video of traffic conditions and nothing else. We don't record video so we are no help. Doesn't stop me from getting subpoenaed.   Sad
frater/jason @ Quartzsite
blog | Promaster van | offtopic answers
"I would unite with anybody to do right; and with nobody to do wrong" F. Douglass
Add Thank You Reply
> Would guess the citation would be for loitering or vagrancy or something similar (there is always something if an officer REALLY wants it) as many/most rest areas have signs prohibiting staying more than 4 hours or something

Not talking about some unrelated issue causing a cop to look for something to book you for.

Nor someone trying to camp out in the same stop for a long period, putting out furniture etc 8-)

I'm asking if anyone anywhere looking otherwise normal, has been subjected to hassle for simply overstaying such a time limit by a few hours.
Add Thank You Reply