Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What about the ones left behind?
Recently I have been living in motels, friends couch, car, etc.
It has been a challenge to work on the RV, take care of a tiny kitten, and keep it all together while working toward the goal of hitting the road Oct. 1st.

Now, another challenge comes up.

I have built solid friendships thru the years with many people all over the country, and many here in Colorado.   
Because I have been traveling with the seasons for more than 20 years, it has always been a case of Hello-Goodbye.   So, even though I have been here for a little over a year...I knew this was never going to be the place I would stay.    But, I often would be back in a season or a year, or a few years.

Now, I am very close to living in the RV full time, I am getting attitude from friends.
Seems that some of the male friends thought they were much more than friends and are acting hurt.   Ah geez.  

What do you say to the ones you will leave behind?     This time I know I will not be back.   I cannot find anything about the Grand Valley I like.    

I know myself well enough to know I cannot be happy living in one place.   I know better than to invite anyone to live with me...sooner or later the stress of that will set me off (probably sooner)

How do you say, "I will not be back here again.  Keep in touch."    Do you just go, with a "see ya" and then avoid contact so as not to have to say the obvious..."I won't be back".

I feel like I have been put on the spot over this.   I don't want to hurt anyone, but I don't want to feel like I am leading anyone on.
"I never saw a sight that didn't look better looking back"

Kat, Smidge the cat, and Honey

1988 Honeywell.  E350 chassis   21'
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to RoamingKat for this post:
free2enjoy (12-12-2017)
(08-28-2017, 06:21 AM)RoamingKat Wrote: Recently I have been living in motels, friends couch, car, etc.
It has been a challenge to work on the RV, take care of a tiny kitten, and keep it all together while working toward the goal of hitting the road Oct. 1st.

Now, another challenge comes up.

I have built solid friendships thru the years with many people all over the country, and many here in Colorado.   
Because I have been traveling with the seasons for more than 20 years, it has always been a case of Hello-Goodbye.  
<-------->
How do you say, "I will not be back here again.  Keep in touch."    Do you just go, with a "see ya" and then avoid contact so as not to have to say the obvious..."I won't be back".

I feel like I have been put on the spot over this.   I don't want to hurt anyone, but I don't want to feel like I am leading anyone on.
Just my opinion, if you have made good friends over the years, you should make an effort to stay in touch with them, and at least tell them you will see them again next time you pass through their area.
Doing the Van thing since the early eighties.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Ballenxj for this post:
Van on 66 (08-28-2017), slow2day (08-28-2017)
You must be moving on.  What is the problem?  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd0-6zGkQe0

It was an early morning yesterday
I was up before the dawn
And I really have enjoyed my stay
But I must be moving on

Like a king without a castle
Like a queen without a throne
I'm an early morning lover
And I must be moving on

Now I believe in what you say
Is the undisputed truth
But I have to have things my own way
To keep me in my youth

Like a ship without an anchor
Like a slave without a chain
Just the thought of those sweet ladies
Sends a shiver through my veins

And I will go on shining
Shining like brand new
I'll never look behind me
My troubles will be few

Goodbye stranger it's been nice
Hope you find your paradise
Tried to see your point of view
Hope your dreams will all come true

Goodbye Mary, goodbye Jane
Will we ever meet again
Feel no sorrow, feel no shame
Come tomorrow, feel no pain

Sweet devotion (Goodbye, Mary)
It's not for me (Goodbye, Jane)
Just give me motion (Will we ever)
To set me free (Meet again?)
In the land and the ocean (Feel no sorrow)
Far away (Feel no shame)
It's the life I've chosen (Come tomorrow)
Every day (Feel no pain)
So goodbye, Mary (Goodbye, Mary)
Goodbye, Jane (Goodbye, Jane)
Will we ever (Will we ever)
Meet again? (Meet again?)

Now some they do and some they don't
And some you just can't tell
And some they will and some they won't
With some it's just as well

You can laugh at my behaviour
And that'll never bother me
Say the devil is my saviour
But I don't pay no heed

And I will go on shining
Shining like brand new
I'll never look behind me
My troubles will be few

Goodbye, stranger, it's been nice
Hope you find your paradise
Tried to see your point of view
Hope your dreams will all come true

Goodbye, Mary, goodbye, Jane
Will we ever meet again?
Feel no sorrow, feel no shame
Come tomorrow, feel no pain

Sweet devotion (Goodbye, Mary)
It's not for me (Goodbye, Jane)
Just give me motion (Will we ever)
To set me free (Meet again?)
In the land and the ocean (Feel no sorrow)
Far away (Feel no shame)
It's the life I've chosen (Come tomorrow)
Every day (Feel no pain)

So now I'm leaving (Goodbye, Mary)
Got to go (Goodbye, Jane)
Hit the road (Will we ever)
I'll say it once again (Meet again?)
Oh, yes, I'm leaving (Feel so sorrow)
Got to go (Feel no shame)
Got to go (Come tomorrow)
I'm sorry, I must dash (Feel no pain)

So goodbye, Mary (Goodbye, Mary)
Goodbye, Jane (Goodbye, Jane)
Will we ever (Will we ever)
Meet again? (Meet again?)

Oh, I'm leaving
I've got to go
Trouble rather a tiger in his lair than a sage at his books. To you kingdoms and armies are mighty and enduring, to him they are toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger. G Dickson.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 4 users say Thank You to GotSmart for this post:
free2enjoy (12-12-2017), CautionToTheWind (08-28-2017), Every Road Leads Home (08-28-2017), pnolans (08-28-2017)
(08-28-2017, 06:52 AM)Ballenxj Wrote: Just my opinion, if you have made good friends over the years, you should make an effort to stay in touch with them, and at least tell them you will see them again next time you pass through their area.

Or welcome them to visit you (for a while) wherever you may be.
1993 Ford E150 conversion

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to slow2day for this post:
Grizzly708 (09-16-2017)
(08-28-2017, 06:21 AM)RoamingKat Wrote: I cannot find anything about the Grand Valley I like.    

Except some of the people apparently.  Are they not reason enough to swing thru on your way somewhere else now and then?
Add Thank You Reply
I have friends that I've had for more than 40 years,  that I talk to about once a month or so.  I have made an effort to keep with them, and vice versa. 

Not everyone is a friend,  some are friendly acquaintances. I agree with Ballenxj.
Keep up with your good friends. 
Good friends are rare, at least for me.   Big Grin
Worthy of extra effort.  At least IMO. 

People who have a different view of the nature of your relationship,  especially the opposite sex, seem to be inevitable.  We all eventually have disappointments in our lives that feelings aren't mutual,  and have to face that. 

What I've been trying to say is that good friends will stay that way,  even remotely.  Me, I'd be honest.   The truth is you don't plan to be back.   Who knows what the future will bring? 

Regards, 

Pat 
Add Thank You Reply
Funny, I had this conversation with a Georgian (the country) friend just recently. He wanted me to come for a visit and he does view me as a brother, and I him. Told him it wasn't in the cards right now. But I said I had said goodbye to many friends in Africa, expecting never to see those brothers and more ever again. One day I was back in the jungle feeling all the more stupid knowing what I was doing wrong. Not wrong visiting wrong being a typical white man in a African jungle. I had forgotten how to move correctly. The village and brothers hadn't forgotten me. It was if I had never left. Good friendships are like that.

As for relationship XX types if it was good enough they will come for a visit or you will. If it wasn't what does it matter?
Beast Master , Junky Monkey , Drinks With Wolves in the You Ain't Right Club. 2 stinking badges a cluster, and "THE FLYING MANURE SPREADER" 
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Scott7022 for this post:
pnolans (08-28-2017)
Well,  GS, I like your taste in music.   Not surprised. I can't think of anything by Supertramp that I haven't loved since it was released. 

Peace,  brother 

Cool
Add Thank You Reply
(08-28-2017, 07:11 AM)GotSmart Wrote: You must be moving on.  What is the problem?  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd0-6zGkQe0

It was an early morning yesterday
I was up before the dawn

Ah, Super Tramp. That was frequently in my cassette deck in my 67 GMC van during the early eighties.
Anybody else notice in that song how many times "Goodbye Mary, and goodbye Jane" were sung in that sequence?
Was that a subliminal message?
Doing the Van thing since the early eighties.
Add Thank You Reply
Life has a funny way of working things out and there's an old saying that always proves true......never say never. How can you possibly know if you'll ever see them again or not? Your real friends will let you go, the selfish ones will beg you to stay.

I spent a couple of nights camping with two brothers on the Big Island of Hawaii. Never expected to see them again when we parted ways. 4 years later I'm pumping gas in the middle of no where Nevada and who comes peddling up on their bikes.....those same two brothers. They biked around the big island the year I was there, and now they were doing a ride to Mexico. It was getting late in the evening so we shared a motel, a meal, some stories and parted ways once again. Wonder when i'll run into them again?
I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life.
Add Thank You Reply