Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Humble Beginnings"
I started the paneling in this van on Labor Day weekend. Because we had trips coming up, I started tackling other projects. Well today, about 4 months later, I finally finished the paneling! Still lots more to do though...

Aaron 

Aspiring full-timer
2004 Extended E-350 SuperDuty build in progress 
Add Thank You Reply
beautiful. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
HumbleBeginnings (01-02-2018)
Looking good!!
https://tinyurl.com/y74tm6pa

Proud YARC inductee
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Van Man Dave for this post:
Yes land-yacht gorgeous, congrats, nice start to the New Year!

Is it thick, what kind of boards?

Any idea how heavy altogether?
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to John61CT for this post:
It's 1/4" cedar paneling from home depot, about $20 for six 8' pieces. I do not know the total weight.

Although it takes a nice picture and my girlfriend loves it, I do not recommend it unless it's over a firm base behind it. I wanted to get every inch of bed length possible, so I didn't use any wood studs on the walls. This is my first van, but I'm pretty sure that decision made the paneling much harder than it needed to be. I attached directly to the sheet metal, but the lack of a flat mounting surface and all the holes in the ribs made screw placement difficult.

Aaron 

Aspiring full-timer
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to HumbleBeginnings for this post:
galladanb (01-02-2018)
Sir Humble! Luving your build! Terrific coverage!

We also choose the thin planks for our build, link in my sigie below...
I would also second your opinions on the finished results. Ours looks nice, but if I'm in bed and during a roll over at night, if my elbow whacks the wall, it feels very fragile, and I'm worried about it breaking. If it did, I would have to redo the entire wall, and that would be a lot of work!

We went with verticals screwed into the metal ribs, and planks brad nailed into them. May not have been the best choice, and I may decide to go back in and run short screws as a backup strengthening ... Maybe...

Thx for sharing with us! U roc!
Thx, Dan'l
Big plans, Mini budget!!!
Check out my build here: Sophia's Hauler
And on Fakebook, look for us at: @Sophias.Hauler
Add Thank You Reply
Yep, same here. At the time I didn't want thick heavy boards, especially on the ceiling where I wondered if they might fall on me. But now I can appreciate how much sturdier they would have been.

Aaron 

Aspiring full-timer
Add Thank You Reply
Well I would need anchoring in between for cabinets, shelves & the removable bed platform, thinking modular airline L-track mounts for flexibility.

I'm thinking the innermost insulation layer being rigid polyiso board with a skin of thin light as possible paneling well-glued to it like Gorilla Glue.

I like the idea of real wood boards rather than faux, but want everything modular and easily removed.

There could be overlapping between sections so the shiplapping looks continuous.

PlusNuts with narrow-head bolts would be nice and secure, but would want the bolt heads as hidden as possible, maybe two strips covered by removable boards (velcro?), or part of where built-in lighting fixtures are attached.

Just thinking out loud...
Add Thank You Reply