Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I safely or will it kill my Rodeo ?
I have an Isuzu Rodeo and no money to change that. Interior room behind front seats is 48 inches wide x 58 inches long x 36 inches high. Not much room for myself and my 12lb dog  Willow and everything that we have in the world.  So, my question is If I use a roof top carrier and have a hitch and receiver and cargo tray and box on the rear, can the Rodeo handle that or will it be 2 much for it?  The roof top carrier, used, that I am looking at weighs 25 lbs.  I am told that my roof limit is 125 lbs, so that would leave me 100lbs of storage on the roof.  Don't know anything about the tow bar hitch thingy. But my concern is would this additional storage and weight be too much for my 6 cyl Rodeo ?
Add Thank You Reply
find out your gross vehicle weight rating(GVWR). usually on your driver door pillar. then fill up your tank with gas, your gear, you and the pooch and go weigh the vehicle. subtract that from your GVWR and you will get how much you can carry. also pay attention to the rating of the hitch. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to highdesertranger for this post:
moondancer5 (09-05-2017)
(09-04-2017, 07:39 AM)moondancer5 Wrote: But my concern is would this additional storage and weight be too much for my 6 cyl Rodeo ?

The owner's manual tells the limits.  The sticker by the driver's door that tells tire pressure tells the weight limits.  

Just a ballpark estimate, 3 adult passengers, 200 pounds each, would be 600 pounds.  125 on the roof makes the car top heavy and a bigger sail to catch a cross wind.  400 pounds on the back would make the tail sag.  Put the heavy stuff on the floor behind the driver's seat.  Water and batteries go there.  

Realistically, seldom used stuff that is less likely to be damaged by water goes on the roof.  Will the rear hitch cargo tray interfere with the back door access?
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. 1 of Ten Cannots, Rev. William John Henry Boetcker, 1916.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Trebor English for this post:
moondancer5 (09-05-2017)
I think you'll be fine. I travel in my Kia Soul when I'm on the road. I think it's a little smaller than your Rodeo and it works fine for me. There are ways to make the interior space a little more useful for you. If you don't need to carry passengers you can remove seats or possibly even turn your passenger seat around to make more space, though depending on how far forward the front seats will go, that may not be necessary.

Here's a link to my conversion thread. It's a different vehicle, but similar enough that you may find at least some ideas that might work for you with a little modification.

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/show...p?tid=9848
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to sephson for this post:
moondancer5 (09-05-2017)
Put heavy items in the car, and bulky but lightweight items in the roof rack and the hitch rack and your Isuzu will be happy.

In other words don't put 200 pounds of canned food and water in the roof rack and 400 pounds of batteries on the hitch rack. Use those areas for things like winter clothing, sleeping bags, pillows, blankets, boots, raingear, etc. Pack the heavy items like water containers, tools, batteries, canned food, etc in the floor of the car and you will be fine.

Just don't overdo it!
Never trust a camp cook with lots of shiny new pans...
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
moondancer5 (09-05-2017)
(09-04-2017, 07:52 AM)Trebor English Wrote: The owner's manual tells the limits.  The sticker by the driver's door that tells tire pressure tells the weight limits.  

Just a ballpark estimate, 3 adult passengers, 200 pounds each, would be 600 pounds.  125 on the roof makes the car top heavy and a bigger sail to catch a cross wind.  400 pounds on the back would make the tail sag.  Put the heavy stuff on the floor behind the driver's seat.  Water and batteries go there.  

Realistically, seldom used stuff that is less likely to be damaged by water goes on the roof.  Will the rear hitch cargo tray interfere with the back door access?

Yes, if I put a hitch on the back, it will be in the way of the door opening. I just can see another way to have more room.
Add Thank You Reply
Check out the swing a way hitches.

https://www.stowaway2.com/

You might be able to outfit the vehicle with one of them. The site emphasizes the combination box and hitch but the hitch platform is available without any box. I use a Husky box bought from Home Depot.
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

Build link: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...g-Arabella
Full-timer again as of November 24, 2015 - 14 glorious years on the road before that!

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Almost There for this post:
moondancer5 (09-05-2017)
Small trailer?
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Weight for this post:
moondancer5 (09-05-2017), highdesertranger (09-05-2017)
(09-04-2017, 02:14 PM)Almost There Wrote: Check out the swing a way hitches.
https://www.stowaway2.com/

They are heavy and the arm positions the weight off to one side.  Fitting it to the hitch receiver is hard for one person.
Say good night, Dick.
Add Thank You Reply
My Honda Passport is an Isuzu Rodeo under the Honda name. If i might be bold enough to give advice. I haved lived and traveled in this for 3+ years, now winters and camping trips only. I did a video interview with Bob (title was on living on 250 a month). Before I got this SUV a father and young daughter lived and traveled in and out of it with a tent, rear hitch basket and bike racks. He said the Swing away hitch basket was too awkward and pulled down on the rear of the car - he canned it. Our vehicles can tow more than they can carry inside. I have a 6 ft cargo basket mounted on my roof now and love it. I bought a Curt model off Amazon. It can hold 200 pounds on your roof. Theres room to sleep a bit diagonal if you are tall. I suggest a small stove like the Sterno Inferno with a modification of a pot stand for using a mini egg frypan. Keep supplies kinda minimal let the stores do the storage for you. Travel w dehydrated ingredients and suppliment with fresh. Small waterbottles fit in the foot space of passenger side. Considering that your dog is larger than mine, you may need all bed in the back and all storage on roof. Interior carry weieght is 600. Ive put too many people or once cement block in and had trouble bottoming out on bumps.
I have towed plenty with this. The most comfortable was a homebuilt off road grasshopper style teardrop. Tow weight is rated to 4500 tho i dont feel comfy that heavy. If your door is the barn style like mine its different and doesnt fit all situations.
Ask me more if you want

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
Keep It Simple!
Simply,
Lesa

simplylesa.blogspot.com
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to simply lesa for this post:
moondancer5 (09-05-2017)