Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I wire this A/V Meter inline With Renogy Panels?
The Amp/Volt meter has 3 thick wires, yellow, red, black and 2 thin wires red, black.  I assume
you'd put the thick yellow sensor+thick red+thin red into the (+) of the panels and the
thin black+thick black into the (-) of the panels (along with the solar panel
wires, of course).  Is this correct?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Add Thank You Reply
What do you want to measure? I would not put anything between my panels and charge controller. Do you have a manual or instruction sheet with the meter? How about a link to the meter so we can read about it?
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Weight for this post:
JesseTrue (09-06-2017)
(09-06-2017, 06:14 AM)Weight Wrote: What do you want to measure? I would not put anything between my panels and charge controller. Do you have a manual or instruction sheet with the meter? How about a link to the meter so we can read about it?

It's a cheap a/v from eBay, there's no instructions with it.
I apologize I think I double-posted this I'll try to delete the other.
Add Thank You Reply
It looks like there is a sticker on the end of the unit.  That might help.

Just guessing here:
The voltmeter end red to panel plus, black to panel minus.
For the amp meter end, red to panel plus, black to panel minus, yellow to controller panel minus input.  Panel current goes black to yellow.  To convince yourself  measure ohms from black to yellow.  If it is less than 1 ohm that's where the current is sensed and goes from panel minus to controller minus input.
Say good night, Dick.
Add Thank You Reply
I wouldn't just guess on this as a mistake could be bad!

Give us a link to the meter you purchased. I'd be glad to look it up and explain based on the actual meter you have.

Many of them are a 5 wire design, yet only 4 are used.

Mike R
Box Stock 2007 Ford E-150 All Build Pics HERE
Add Thank You Reply
(09-06-2017, 10:37 AM)MikeRuth Wrote: I wouldn't just guess on this as a mistake could be bad!

Give us a link to the meter you purchased. I'd be glad to look it up and explain based on the actual meter you have.

Many of them are a 5 wire design, yet only 4 are used.

Mike R

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BY4...UTF8&psc=1
so they updated the ad, increased the price too, now they have some directions but I still don't follow

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Add Thank You Reply
Is your solar panel more than 40 watts?  The amazon ad indicates that it is only a 2 amp meter.

The picture you posted shows two parts, the meter and a shunt resistor.  How many pieces do you have?
Say good night, Dick.
Add Thank You Reply
there are three choices the 2A version has a built in shunt. the 100A version requires an external shunt. I didn't look at the 10A. the wire diagram looks pretty straight forward to me. highdesertranger
Add Thank You Reply
(09-06-2017, 06:53 PM)highdesertranger Wrote: there are three choices the 2A version has a built in shunt.  the 100A version requires an external shunt.  I didn't look at the 10A.  the wire diagram looks pretty straight forward to me.  highdesertranger

I'm proud of you, that it looks straight forward to you!  I'm not even sure I even bought the right parameter a/v meter now -- to be sure I'm going to ask an EE friend.  At least I have the panels installed up top, rainproofed the holes and ran the wires, that was a pretty harsh job right there (for me).
Add Thank You Reply
I don't think that meter will do much for you.
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Renogy Eclipse panels? HumbleBeginnings 96 2,812 01-07-2018, 07:46 PM
Last Post: C-Cat
  best use of PWM with Renogy 100W panels frater secessus 17 847 11-05-2017, 09:23 AM
Last Post: frater secessus
  Ths CC Sufficient? Renogy Rover 20A 12V/24V DC MPPT 8.38A Panels 12v UptownSport 16 668 10-06-2017, 11:29 AM
Last Post: UptownSport