Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woman's Forum: Walmart incident
Personally, I would like to carry a mace like this, but they might be illegal: http://www.heavenlyswords.com/images/T/KT2065A.jpg

If you swung it at someone, it would be 'difficult' to grab the business end.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to TrainChaser for this post:
heron (10-25-2017)
(09-28-2017, 12:47 PM)TrainChaser Wrote: WalkaboutTed:  "I nevery worry about being rude."

Dammed right!  The 'training' that girls get as children, drives me crazy.  Don't be rude, don't be offensive, don't lose your temper, don't fight back.  Let people annoy you, let people hurt you, don't be defensive, don't be obnoxious.

JUST BE A VICTIM, GIRLIE!  IT'S THE REASON FOR YOUR EXISTENCE!

Preach it!
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to michele0203 for this post:
mert6706 (10-21-2017)
(10-20-2017, 03:35 PM)TrainChaser Wrote: Personally, I would like to carry a mace like this, but they might be illegal:  http://www.heavenlyswords.com/images/T/KT2065A.jpg

If you swung it at someone, it would be 'difficult' to grab the business end.

Carry wasp and hornet spray.  It sprays a long distance, will disable your adversary and will blind the person if he doesn't get his eyes flushed pretty fast.  It's LEGAL to carry wasp spray.  It hurts.  It works.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 8 users say Thank You to wasanah2 for this post:
Photogal39Travels (11-28-2017), ClassyGlobal (11-21-2017), dawnann7 (11-19-2017), GypsySpirit (11-14-2017), Ms Daisy (11-11-2017), SilverVoyager (11-10-2017), mert6706 (11-09-2017), bonnieE350van (10-21-2017)
That is scary, happy to hear you acted so wisely. One reason I surround myself with, perhaps, too many dogs of various sizes.
Add Thank You Reply
Wasp spray is NOT legal. The law goes by the disclaimer on the can: "It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling.” Depending on the state, you can be prosecuted for using it on an attacker.

People also say to use bear spray instead of for-humans pepper spray. Bear spray is 1 to 2% oleoresin capsicum (active ingredient), a strength more appropriate to 'train' a bear (or dog) to leave you alone.

The pepper spray sold to use on humans (or a reasonable facsimile) is usually 10% to 20% oleoresin capsicum -- much stronger. It was created to incapacitate an attacker, and that is what you want. You're not spraying wasps and you're not spraying bears -- if you NEED to push that button, you want it to do what is needed.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to TrainChaser for this post:
SilverVoyager (11-10-2017), mert6706 (11-09-2017)
(10-22-2017, 08:47 PM)TrainChaser Wrote: Wasp spray is NOT legal.  The law goes by the disclaimer on the can:  "It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling.”  Depending on the state, you can be prosecuted for using it on an attacker.

People also say to use bear spray instead of for-humans pepper spray.  Bear spray is 1 to 2% oleoresin capsicum (active ingredient), a strength more appropriate to 'train' a bear (or dog) to leave you alone.  

The pepper spray sold to use on humans (or a reasonable facsimile) is usually 10% to 20% oleoresin capsicum -- much stronger.  It was created to incapacitate an attacker, and that is what you want.  You're not spraying wasps and you're not spraying bears -- if you NEED to push that button, you want it to do what is needed.

Oh my, I've been carrying wasp spray for years, although I never needed to use it (for humans).  I'll have to get the magnifier to check out the fine print.

Thanks for the info Train Chaser. I'll check the can.
Add Thank You Reply
Legal Shmegal! "Oh, your Honor, I decided to let myself get raped or assaulted because I was afraid of being arrested while trying to protect myself". My safety is more important than protecting the assaulter's temporary discomfort. Sorry, girls, I've not heard of a woman bring arrested because she's carried wasp or bear spray for self defense. In most places in America, it's legal to defend your home with a firearm (the Castle Doctrine). So, I guess its better to shoot the mo***r fu***r than to hit him with wasp spray?
Ted
Add Thank You Reply
The following 6 users say Thank You to WalkaboutTed for this post:
AnnieSantiago (11-28-2017), Photogal39Travels (11-28-2017), Squeakytiki (11-20-2017), GypsySpirit (11-14-2017), mert6706 (11-09-2017), mayble (10-23-2017)
(09-28-2017, 09:12 AM)JustACarSoFar Wrote: Hey Cammalu, (I know you're on the road right now)

Sure enough I noticed a man following me. He'd keep back a bit, then follow me more. I was so HOT with anger from the ex' that I already
had a ton of 'fight' in me.

I stopped, turned back quickly to face him with my fists up, stared him down and growwled'' at him to "BACK OFF!!"

It worked! He got all like 'whoa whoa..." holding his hands up like ..'no don't hurt me' LOL then walked the opposite way.

Attitude is essential and carrying a small hunting knife is a plus!

This is me. I don't let creeps get within range and if they do I come at them. They usually back away quick. And I carry pepper spray and have an air horn. Personally, if someone had approached my car after staring at me I would've been telling him to get away and had my cell phone ready in one hand and my spray in the other. I don't take kindly to being approached by strange men. Happens all the time and I've learned to deal with it and I'm NOT polite about it.
"And now it's your chance to move on
Change the way you've lived for so long
..'Cause life starts now"

Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Freak On A Leash for this post:
Photogal39Travels (11-28-2017), JustACarSoFar (11-14-2017)
I'm glad nothing happened to you, Cammalu. Not to diss you, but I don't park at a Walmart with my door open. I'm a firm believer to be proactive instead reactive. Of course it's not feasible to prevent every bad thing in life, but as long as we solo travelers follow common sense and our instincts we should be okay.
Add Thank You Reply
First all, it IS legal for me to carry wasp spray. I'm camping, I am taking bug repellant. I understand that it is not legal to use the product for other than it was intended for, but if it is self preservation, I will use it. It's probably not legal for me to hit someone in the head with my cast iron skillet, but if necessary, I will. I'm not looking for trouble, but I have plenty of unorthodox tools at my disposal, along with regular self-defense items. Better armed and not need it.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to GypsySpirit for this post:
Photogal39Travels (11-28-2017), JustACarSoFar (11-14-2017)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Woman's Forum: Potty Issues NomadicNotions 156 23,987 10-06-2017, 01:23 PM
Last Post: mert6706