Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Demystifying the Urban Stealth Legend
(09-13-2017, 11:32 AM)dexstrom Wrote: In our little town (30,000 pop.) we have derelict RVs parking all over, for months at a time, some don't even look roadworthy.  Our 'compassionate' town council won't let the police roust anyone no matter how much of a mess they make or how much of a problem they are to the neighborhoods and residents....

My philosophy is to enforce ordinances against littering, dumping human waste, drug use, panhandling, public intoxication and all the other stuff that already exists on the books. But local governments get lazy and ban overnight camping and sleeping in vehicles instead. "Run those people off, even if they're doing nothing wrong."
Someone wanted me to put this here: http://rollingsteeltent.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply
The following 5 users say Thank You to MrNoodly for this post:
GeorgiePorgie (01-11-2018), Kia girl (09-16-2017), frater secessus (09-16-2017), mayble (09-15-2017), dexstrom (09-13-2017)
I only got a knock once at 11 PM at night from the police in Morro Bay, CA after visiting San Simeon (what a place). Kind a parked in between a resto and a motel. Lot was full when I parked but the resto clients all left and I was alone by the side of busy road. Got the full ID and Gestapo questioning. He gave me a ticket, did me a "favor" with no fine included. Last fall. Oh, forgot the full interrogation by a law enforcement Ranger this spring because he didn't like my answers which all started with parking more than 30ft from the road which was the limit in that area. I was in the shade, eating lunch cleanly and quietly, in a path already established and everyone else there with massive RV and fifth wheels were doing the same. My minivan must have said homeless. And that has been it in 3 yrs so far traveling the Southwest and West coast.
Minivanmotoman,  Absolutely Positively.
Crystal Blue Persuasion, music video
https://youtu.be/XDl8ZPm3GrU
Add Thank You Reply
(09-13-2017, 12:46 PM)MrNoodly Wrote: Agreed. And one of the ways to avoid trouble from the public is to avoid looking like trouble to them. The less you and your rig look like low-life, drug-addicted, feces-dumping, thieving, child rapers, the less likely they are to call the cops -- and the better the cops will treat you if they do get called.

It also helps to not have brown or black skin--a sadly unfortunate but true reality in our society.

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to lenny flank for this post:
Technomad (01-10-2018), theinfamousj (09-18-2017), mayble (09-15-2017)
(09-13-2017, 12:52 PM)Minivanmotoman Wrote: And that has been it in 3 yrs so far traveling the Southwest and West coast.

I've only had two encounters in 2.5 years, both of them friendly. In Vegas, somebody saw me getting into the side door of the van and reported it as "someone breaking into a car", and the cops came and checked me out. They left without incident.

In OKC, the Walmart security guy told me that the store had a new manager and while they allowed RVs to overnight they no longer allowed vans, so I hadda leave. He then chatted with me for over an hour asking about van-traveling, told me about a nice science museum nearby that I didn't know about, then pointed to some other places nearby where I could probably park without being bothered. 

I think most of the anti-cop angst that many people have is just silly ideology from one side or the other. (As I've always noted, if you listen to the extremists from both ends of the political spectrum, they sound exactly alike).

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply
The following 4 users say Thank You to lenny flank for this post:
Ray (01-13-2018), Vesper (11-11-2017), Linda Cripple-Creek (11-06-2017), wasanah2 (10-11-2017)
Thx Tonyandkaren for the specific and geography detailed response. That is very helpful for many people am sure. I think that this forum is the one of few ways to share this info with others. Fortunately I am white but a van isn't a positive thing to LEO. Mine is fairly recent and washed and waxed regularly. Even have a quick and fast way to do so that I will share in another thread. And I am always clean cut, shaved, dress decent, try to speak well, stay positive, sociably friendly and easy going. Don't drink or drugs, heck have to force myself to take my vitamins. Lol. In my events, it has been the location or the specific LEO which can happen to anyone of course.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to Minivanmotoman for this post:
Vesper (11-11-2017), Chitza (09-13-2017)
And true minivan like Odyssey or Sienna, full-on soccer mom style in perfect shape, no panels, roof rack, vents showing

is totally different vibe from an old Detroit full-size.

Following parking and the other stealth rules to a T, no problems even in the most expensive cities right downtown.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to John61CT for this post:
Vesper (11-11-2017)
Now there are those much swifter than I on these things. I am not very self and situational aware. Sigh. So I need to analyze and break down to understand things. Stealth has a few important factors that matter in this widely encompassing subject.
1. Person involved, their character, appearance and choices. Clean and polite the way to go.
2. Vehicle involved, age, appearance, type. Newer the better and clean once again.
3. Location area, micro and macro environment. The town or city and the actual spot as well as the neighborhood.
Now some say industrial commercial. Have a hard time believing this one personally as I know from younger steaming the window days ;p, police patrol them. And they know what vehicles are usually there, look for trespassing and theft.
This boils down to search of information, locally, online.
This is the hardest unknown I think. But if we ask and share, improves the odds of success.
4. LEO, community standards and individuals. This is one of the biggest unknown, random variables for most travelers. Locals become aware through contact, experience and hearsay. Hoping that we can pass this along to the tribe. Maybe some sort updated, current geographic area FYI posting? How could that be pulled off? Any wheels turning or smoke coming out of the ears on that idea? Lol. Instead of free campsites.com, it would be boondockingheaven.com. lol. Or desertedtropicalislandwithpalmtreescoconutsand nakedhulagirls.com.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to Minivanmotoman for this post:
WanderingScribe (09-20-2017)
x2 on not staying in industrial areas. I've never tried that and it seems it would be dicey.

Have you considered Planet Fitness or other 24hr club like that? I'm wondering if in a larger city it would work to stay almost exclusively in their lots, with maybe a WM,etc. thrown in periodically.

Would they eventually catch on that you were homeless and somehow call you on using their facilities too much??
1993 Ford E150 conversion

Add Thank You Reply
The following 1 user says Thank You to slow2day for this post:
theinfamousj (09-18-2017)
I always get a good chuckle from threads about LEO encounters and fears when stealthing. My BF lives in a class B Ford conversion van during the week because he works 60 miles from where we live. He works in a small town, population about 28,000.

Oh, yeah. He works....as a police officer Smile He does abide by all the suggestions listed above. He moves frequently, keeps the van and area clean, and keeps signs of life at a minimum after dark.
Add Thank You Reply
The following 3 users say Thank You to Chitza for this post:
theinfamousj (09-18-2017), bullfrog (09-15-2017), Cammalu (09-13-2017)
(09-13-2017, 02:16 PM)Chitza Wrote: Oh, yeah. He works....as a police officer Smile He does abide by all the suggestions listed above. He moves frequently, keeps the van and area clean, and keeps signs of life at a minimum after dark.

The cynic in me thinks that he would probably get a pass even if he didn't do everything right...
1993 Ford E150 conversion

Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to slow2day for this post:
frater secessus (09-16-2017), Thirsty Boots Nomad (09-13-2017)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Urban Stealth Camping: What is possible and what is probable? citytravelfotos 5 6,237 01-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Last Post: citytravelfotos