Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Demystifying the Urban Stealth Legend
^^^
The realist in me that's been around several "misbehaving while off-duty" LEO would agree
"Having the gumption to live different and the sense to let everybody else live different.  That's the hardest thing, hands down." --- Alice Venable Middleton
Add Thank You Reply
When those Oakland cops were busted for abusing the underage dispatcher's daughter sex worker, the main offender was reported as living in his van right in the PD parking lot.

They all got off on the stat rape charges, so I doubt the living in the van thing was even an issue.

So no, that's not cynical, just realistic in Amerika, LEO can and do often break the law with impunity, that sort of corruption is SNAFU in our society.
Add Thank You Reply
^^^
The realist in me that's been around several "misbehaving while off-duty" LEO would agree
"Having the gumption to live different and the sense to let everybody else live different.  That's the hardest thing, hands down." --- Alice Venable Middleton
Add Thank You Reply
(09-13-2017, 12:35 PM)tonyandkaren Wrote:   Florida around tourist areas is almost as hard. Rural Florida is okay.

That has not been my experience: I've spent up to four weeks in Walmart lots in Titusville, Orlando, Naples, Gainesville, Bradenton/Sarasota, Pensacola, and Tallahassee and didn't have any trouble. Tampa is also pretty loose with it (though St Pete is fairly uptight). The Keys are of course notorious for being anti-parking. Most cities in Florida do have "no overnighting" ordinances, but it has been my experience that unless you are doing something dumb, mostly nobody bothers to enforce it.

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply
The following 2 users say Thank You to lenny flank for this post:
theinfamousj (09-18-2017), Minivanmotoman (09-13-2017)
(09-13-2017, 01:07 PM)lenny flank Wrote: It also helps to not have brown or black skin--a sadly unfortunate but true reality in our society.

True, unfortunately.
Someone wanted me to put this here: http://rollingsteeltent.blogspot.com/
Add Thank You Reply
Thx Lenny, that info is invaluable to all. What exactly is your rig? The first main criteria is location, knowing where it is tolerated. Share the info. This makes it easy for all RVs making stealth irrelevant. Assuming clean, no garbage/noise/space issues of course. I as well try to use the mostly accepted locations where allowed - Walmart, FS & BLM. But the time limit means move.
Didn't know or aware about Home Depot or Lowe's. Really? Where?
And once again, the type of rig makes a difference I think. Class C I can see getting away with things, if not old. Vans, ???? Class A behemoths? New expensive clean rig have a better chance due to perception and would only deal with parking issues.
Minivanmotoman,  Absolutely Positively.
Crystal Blue Persuasion, music video
https://youtu.be/XDl8ZPm3GrU
Add Thank You Reply
(09-13-2017, 03:24 PM)Minivanmotoman Wrote: Thx Lenny, that info is invaluable to all. What exactly is your rig?

I have a plain white GMC Savanna. There's a solar panel on the roof, but it's hard to see, and most people probably think it's some sort of cargo rack.

Living in "Ziggy the Snail Shell" since May 2015
Add Thank You Reply
Thx Lenny and the Snail. Smile. You have obviously picked up the skill for urban camping through assessment and experience. And have a decent clean rig, lay low. Or is it just this Jedi mind trick that you use - wave your arm across the parking lot while saying " move along, nothing to see here." So how do you optimize your odds for camping in no parking Walmart? Other campers? Ask for permission? In late out early and what times?
YouTube is full of people getting rousted from Walmart all the time, and by the police.
Minivanmotoman,  Absolutely Positively.
Crystal Blue Persuasion, music video
https://youtu.be/XDl8ZPm3GrU
Add Thank You Reply
(09-13-2017, 05:56 PM)Minivanmotoman Wrote: YouTube is full of people getting rousted from Walmart all the time, and by the police.

It's really important to remember that if someone did NOT get rousted from W/M (or anywhere else for that matter), they wouldn't have anything to make a video about. There are thousands of us that stay in W/M parking lots all over the continent each night that have no problem. You're only seeing the few on YouTube that did.

I'd like to roust a few of them myself...those that overstay their welcome, put down stabilizers on soft asphalt, leave trash, dump holding tanks, put out their awnings and lawn furniture, tie up more space than necessary etc. etc.

It's really simple, check the reviews at Allstays.com (not just the color of the pin on the map), read the signs when you get there and if in doubt, go in the store and ask. If it looks like you shouldn't be staying there, don't stay.
Worry is a misuse of imagination!

Build link: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/Thre...g-Arabella
Full-timer again as of November 24, 2015 - 14 glorious years on the road before that!

Add Thank You Reply
The following 7 users say Thank You to Almost There for this post:
Ray (01-13-2018), GeorgiePorgie (01-11-2018), mayble (09-25-2017), theinfamousj (09-18-2017), This world isn't home (09-18-2017), cyndi (09-15-2017), Minivanmotoman (09-13-2017)
(09-13-2017, 06:06 PM)Almost There Wrote: I'd like to roust a few of them myself...those that overstay their welcome, put down stabilizers on soft asphalt, leave trash, dump holding tanks, put out their awnings and lawn furniture, tie up more space than necessary etc. etc.

You forgot to mention those that take showers outside in the w/m parking lot (and sometimes post videos talking about it) so management/security starts being on the look out for similar behaviors.
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Urban Stealth Camping: What is possible and what is probable? citytravelfotos 5 6,231 01-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Last Post: citytravelfotos